Request for hints on troubleshooting a uDig installation failure

Request for hints on troubleshooting a uDig installation failure

Gary W. Lucas

I’m returning to uDig after a couple of years absence and have encountered an installation problem.   Can somebody offer suggestions or point me in the direction of some notes on troubleshooting?   I looked around on the refractions web site, but didn’t find anything that seemed to address this issue.

A co-worker had the latest version of uDig on her Windows-XP computer by our IT staff, but there were problems.

1.        UDIG never showed up in the Start menu (neither a uDig or a Refractions folder showed up)

2.       We browsed the c:/Program Files/uDig directory and found the udig.bat file

3.       When we attempt to   run the .bat file (from both Windows explorer and from a Command Prompt window), it starts up, shows the uDig splash screen, and quietly terminates.

4.       There is no stack trace or output to the command window to indicate the cause of the problem.

5.       The user attempting to run uDig does not have administrative privileges on her machine.  Does uDig require that to run?

I’m afraid I can offer any other diagnostic information (like log entries) because it was installed on somebody else’s computer and I didn’t get a lot of time to go hunting around.  .  If somebody can tell me where to look, I would be glad to do so. Again, nothing prints out to the command window when the application terminates.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gary

Re: Request for hints on troubleshooting a uDig installation failure

Jody Garnett-2
Hi Gary:

It is foss4g so email is not being checked very often this week. Can you tell me what version of uDig installer you are working with? I have a Windows XP VM which I could double check any issue you have.

uDig should be creating a data directory in the users "home" folder; which will also have a log. The other thing you could try is to run the bat file from the CMD prompt with a few more logging options turned on. But it sounds like we are having a lower level permission failure.

Reference to some of the command line options are here: http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Running+uDig

I would experiment with the -configuration and -data options.

--
Jody Garnett

On Thursday, 15 September 2011 at 7:51 AM, Gary Lucas wrote:

[...]

Thanks to helpful suggestions from Jody, I found the problem.  Basically, it was a matter of the user not having write permission to the workspace folder (data directory) that the program was trying to use.  When it was denied permission to write to the folder, uDig terminated. My suggestion here would be that the next uDig be modified to raise a dialog or something when it has to terminate due to a problem like that.  It would have saved me a lot of time.

Anyway, the following explanation gives some more details in case any of you have the same problem.

Gary

The trouble seems to have started when uDig was installed by a system administrator rather than the user who was going to operate it.   There is a note on the "Running on uDig" web page http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Running+uDig that says "by default the windows install creates the following short cut".  It gives the command vector:

C:\Program Files\uDig\1.1\eclipse\udig.exe"
  -data "%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\uDig\"
  -configuration "%APPDATA%\udig\uDig1.1\"
  -vm "C:\Program Files\uDig\1.1\eclipse\jre\bin\javaw.exe"

Well, the shortcut was either not created or was created on the administrator's desktop rather than the user's.  In either case, it wasn't available to the user.  Searching through the c:/Program Files tree, we found a file called uDig.bat and tried running from that.

The problem was that uDig.bat does not specify a path to the users home directory.  Apparently uDig doesn't use an environment variable to find the users' home, but depends on a command line setting.  So uDig was looking for, and perhaps trying to create, a workspace in a folder where the user didn't have permission to write.

We fixed the problem by making a copy of the uDig.bat file and modifying it to include the -data specification.  With that change, uDig seems to be running fine.

Computer Programming is the Art of the Possible
Gary W. Lucas
Sonalysts, Inc.
215 Parkway North
Waterford, CT 06385
(860) 326-3682
41-22-12.35 N / 72-10-07.54 W  (USNG/MGRS:  18T YL 36787 83711)

Re: Request for hints on troubleshooting a uDig installation failure

Jody Garnett-2
Thanks for the detailed background Gary.

Do you have an actual stack trace? I wonder if we can arrange for a better error message (or if it occurs during the C++ startup program?).

We should be able to ask the installer to add the short cut to the "All users" entry ...

--
Jody Garnett