Resolutions...

nwillink
Hi

Can anyone tell me what exactly the '-' in after resolutions means.

I plotted a church resolution 21-23  only to find it does not include
resolution 23.

Somewhere I read that only the resolutions between the numbers are plotted.

If that is the case what does 23-24 mean ? What resolution is there between
23 and 24

What happens with resolution 23-23 ?

Does 23-24 mean only level 23
Is 24-23 different from 23-24?

The manual does not seem to tackle this issue.

btw

Have noticed that Basecamp/Mapsource only plots 0x2c poi range at level 24

So the following might never occur in some GPS devices is except at
resolution 24

0x2c02 [resolution 21 ]

This seems to affect :

viewpoints,churches,castles, schools,amusement parks etc

Regards

Nick

Re: Resolutions...

Gerd Petermann
Hi Nick,

the meaning of these statements depends on the levels option. With the options in default style
levels = 0:24, 1:22, 2:20, 3:18
the resolution 23 and 22 are at level 1, so resolution  23 is actually rounded down to 22.

Gerd

Re: Resolutions...

jan meisters
Hi Nick,

pois from 0x2900 to 0x311f are only visible on resolution „24+".
Means you have to „overzoom“ deeper into resolution 24 to see them.

This behaviour is not related to mkgmap, it seems to be a limitiation by Garmin to avoid cluttering of maps with these pois, as they contain most indexed items like shops, restaurants, etc. Only exception are airports on 0x2f04.

To have these pois appearing earlier I haven´t found another solution yet than to "double“ wanted pois.
In your example:
church=* [0x3202 resolution 23 continue]
church=* [0x2c02 resolution 24]

Disadvantage: Basecamp (4.6.3/Mac) not only shows the pois on wanted resolution, but also lists these doubles in search („All Pois“ only)
On device (at least my Oregon450) the range 0x3200-0x330f doesn´t appear in searches, but is visible as expected.

Jan

> Am 10.03.2020 um 13:39 schrieb nwillink <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi
>
> Can anyone tell me what exactly the '-' in after resolutions means.
>
> I plotted a church resolution 21-23  only to find it does not include
> resolution 23.
>
> Somewhere I read that only the resolutions between the numbers are plotted.
>
> If that is the case what does 23-24 mean ? What resolution is there between
> 23 and 24
>
> What happens with resolution 23-23 ?
>
> Does 23-24 mean only level 23
> Is 24-23 different from 23-24?
>
> The manual does not seem to tackle this issue.
>
> btw
>
> Have noticed that Basecamp/Mapsource only plots 0x2c poi range at level 24
>
> So the following might never occur in some GPS devices is except at
> resolution 24
>
> 0x2c02 [resolution 21 ]
>
> This seems to affect :
>
> viewpoints,churches,castles, schools,amusement parks etc
>
> Regards
>
> Nick
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Mkgmap-Development-f5324443.html

Re: Resolutions...

nwillink
Thanks Gerd

Nick

On 10/03/2020 12:51, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> the meaning of these statements depends on the levels option. With the options in default style
> levels = 0:24, 1:22, 2:20, 3:18
> the resolution 23 and 22 are at level 1, so resolution  23 is actually rounded down to 22.
>
> Gerd

Hi Jan

Thanks for that; hadn't realised it applies to the 29 -32 range

Yes, have also resorted to double entries but am using extended type
number 0x12c02 with a continue

Nick

On 10/03/2020 13:31, jan meisters wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> pois from 0x2900 to 0x311f are only visible on resolution „24+".
> Means you have to „overzoom“ deeper into resolution 24 to see them.
>
> This behaviour is not related to mkgmap, it seems to be a limitiation by Garmin to avoid cluttering of maps with these pois, as they contain most indexed items like shops, restaurants, etc. Only exception are airports on 0x2f04.
>
> To have these pois appearing earlier I haven´t found another solution yet than to "double“ wanted pois.
> In your example:
> church=* [0x3202 resolution 23 continue]
> church=* [0x2c02 resolution 24]
>
> Disadvantage: Basecamp (4.6.3/Mac) not only shows the pois on wanted resolution, but also lists these doubles in search („All Pois“ only)
> On device (at least my Oregon450) the range 0x3200-0x330f doesn´t appear in searches, but is visible as expected.
>
> Jan
>

>> Am 10.03.2020 um 13:39 schrieb nwillink <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Can anyone tell me what exactly the '-' in after resolutions means.
>>
>> I plotted a church resolution 21-23  only to find it does not include
>> resolution 23.
>>
>> Somewhere I read that only the resolutions between the numbers are plotted.
>>
>> If that is the case what does 23-24 mean ? What resolution is there between
>> 23 and 24
>>
>> What happens with resolution 23-23 ?
>>
>> Does 23-24 mean only level 23
>> Is 24-23 different from 23-24?
>>
>> The manual does not seem to tackle this issue.
>>
>> btw
>>
>> Have noticed that Basecamp/Mapsource only plots 0x2c poi range at level 24
>>
>> So the following might never occur in some GPS devices is except at
>> resolution 24
>>
>> 0x2c02 [resolution 21 ]
>>
>> This seems to affect :
>>
>> viewpoints,churches,castles, schools,amusement parks etc
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Nick
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Mkgmap-Development-f5324443.html

Re: Resolutions...

nwillink
Hi Gerd

Just to be a nuisance:

If there is no level beyond level 3 in the default style, ie 4,12

then all resolutions <18  contained in the default style (and there are
quite a few!)  only get plotted at level 3?

ie the lowest lines are a boundary  and    a coastline , both at res 12

Do they only get plotted at level 3 , ie resolution 3

I remember in the past it was said the levels are better than resolutions

Nick

On 10/03/2020 13:46, Pinns UK wrote:

> Thanks Gerd

> Nick
>
> On 10/03/2020 12:51, Gerd Petermann wrote:
>> Hi Nick,
>>
>> the meaning of these statements depends on the levels option. With
>> the options in default style
>> levels = 0:24, 1:22, 2:20, 3:18
>> the resolution 23 and 22 are at level 1, so resolution  23 is
>> actually rounded down to 22.
>>
>> Gerd

The behaviour changed in the past, but I think if the style produces an object for a max resolution X and no level covers exactly this resolution the max resolution is decremented to the next lower value covered by a level. If there is no such level the object is not added to the map.

natural=coastline [0x15 resolution 12]
is equal to
natural=coastline [0x15 resolution 12-24]

Not sure what you mean with
"I remember in the past it was said the levels are better than resolutions"
Do you suggest to change the default style to use level instead of resolution?

Gerd

If there is no level beyond level 3 in the default style, ie 4,12

then all resolutions <18  contained in the default style (and there are
quite a few!)  only get plotted at level 3?

ie the lowest lines are a boundary  and    a coastline , both at res 12

Do they only get plotted at level 3 , ie resolution 3

I remember in the past it was said the levels are better than resolutions

Nick

On 10/03/2020 13:46, Pinns UK wrote:

> Thanks Gerd

> Nick
>
> On 10/03/2020 12:51, Gerd Petermann wrote:
>> Hi Nick,
>>
>> the meaning of these statements depends on the levels option. With
>> the options in default style
>> levels = 0:24, 1:22, 2:20, 3:18
>> the resolution 23 and 22 are at level 1, so resolution  23 is
>> actually rounded down to 22.
>>
>> Gerd

Thanks that's clear.

I'm just experimenting with the default style rather than my own which
is entirely geared towards hiking.

I can see there is some advantage using levels:

a)  you get a clearer picture of which elements get plotted at which
zoom level

b) you only have to change the resolutions in the options file to test
the zooming effects.

btw

a) Can you use the '--' in levels?

ie

natural=wood [0x50 level 2-4 ]

b) I have seen an options file which contains levels 0 --> 5

However in the style itself there is mention of a level 6 eventhough
it's not defined in tghe options file

ie

area_city=*   [0x03 level 6 continue]

Is that 'allowed' ?

Regards

Nick

On 11/03/2020 06:56, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> The behaviour changed in the past, but I think if the style produces an object for a max resolution X and no level covers exactly this resolution the max resolution is decremented to the next lower value covered by a level. If there is no such level the object is not added to the map.
>
> natural=coastline [0x15 resolution 12]
> is equal to
> natural=coastline [0x15 resolution 12-24]
>
> Not sure what you mean with
> "I remember in the past it was said the levels are better than resolutions"
> Do you suggest to change the default style to use level instead of resolution?
>
> Gerd

a)
natural=wood [0x50 level 2-4 ]
is allowed.
b)
a level larger than specified in levels gives an error message. For your example I'd expect
Error in style: Error: Level number too large, max=5
Not sure if that makes sense. For your example I would have expected that
area_city=*   [0x03 level 6 continue]
is treated like
area_city=*   [0x03 level 0-5 continue]

Gerd

I'm just experimenting with the default style rather than my own which
is entirely geared towards hiking.

I can see there is some advantage using levels:

a)  you get a clearer picture of which elements get plotted at which
zoom level

b) you only have to change the resolutions in the options file to test
the zooming effects.

btw

a) Can you use the '--' in levels?

ie

natural=wood [0x50 level 2-4 ]

b) I have seen an options file which contains levels 0 --> 5

However in the style itself there is mention of a level 6 eventhough
it's not defined in tghe options file

ie

area_city=*   [0x03 level 6 continue]

Is that 'allowed' ?

Regards

Nick

On 11/03/2020 06:56, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> The behaviour changed in the past, but I think if the style produces an object for a max resolution X and no level covers exactly this resolution the max resolution is decremented to the next lower value covered by a level. If there is no such level the object is not added to the map.
>
> natural=coastline [0x15 resolution 12]
> is equal to
> natural=coastline [0x15 resolution 12-24]
>
> Not sure what you mean with
> "I remember in the past it was said the levels are better than resolutions"
> Do you suggest to change the default style to use level instead of resolution?
>
> Gerd

Thanks for your reply

Yes, I noticed that level 2-4 is allowed as well.

Just going back  to an earlier problem,

using the default levels

levels = 0:24, 1:22, 2:20, 3:18

overview-levels = 4:17, 5:16, 6:15, 7:14, 8:12

a) I'm still a bit unclear about what happens if a resolution

a) slots in between two levels , ie resolution 19 will between levels 2
and 3

Will if always get rounded down or does it depend on the nearest level

ie

levels = 0:24, 1:22, 2:20, 3:15

resolution 17 will be plotted as level 3 ?

resolution 19 will be plotted as level 2 ?

B) the default style's lowest resolution is 10 in Polygons

and yet its is lower than level 8 in which case its rounded up to level 8

or does it automatically get assgined a new undeclared level 9?

Just realised 4b must get hard coded to the lowest level (0 ?)

Regards

Nick