RfC - tagging whatever power line is isolated as attribute

RfC - tagging whatever power line is isolated as attribute

Mateusz Konieczny-3
with intention of allowing mappers not interested in extreme detail of power networks
to allow ignoring this detail in case of isolation of power lines.

Feedback is highly appreciated. I have little experience with power tagging in OSM.
This proposal is primarily based on tagging scheme issues that I discovered during

Re: RfC - tagging whatever power line is isolated as attribute

Paul Allen
On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 10:17 AM Mateusz Konieczny <[hidden email]> wrote:
with intention of allowing mappers not interested in extreme detail of power networks
to allow ignoring this detail in case of isolation of power lines.

I realize that English is not your first language, but "isolated" is not the word to use.  I'd tell
you a better word but I cannot figure out, from your proposal, what your intent is.

--
Paul

Re: RfC - tagging whatever power line is isolated as attribute

Mateusz Konieczny-3
Thanks! It was intended to be about insulation.

Thanks again!

3. Nov 2018 15:21 by [hidden email]:

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 7:34 PM Mateusz Konieczny <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks! It was intended to be about insulation.

It now makes a lot more sense.  However, the word "isolated" is present twice in the rationale.

You probably ought to mention something that was brought up on this list: that some power
lines have a cladding which is not considered to be an electrical insulator.  It is unlikely most
mappers could tell the difference.

Yes, there are insulated cables.  They're present on minor power lines for local distribution (they
run along streets with feeds to houses along the street) near me.  At some points the line
between poles is a single insulated cable and at other points along the same street it switches
to four, physically-separated, uninsulated conductors.  It appears to me that the uninsulated
stretches are older than the insulated ones and that as repairs become necessary they change
to insulated cable.  I suspect that on anything other than this type of local distribution any covering
around the wire is cladding rather than insulation.

For more details (only legally applicable to the UK but is probably indicative of practise in other

--
Paul

--
Paul

Re: RfC - tagging whatever power line is isolated as attribute

Warin
On 04/11/18 06:45, Paul Allen wrote:
[...]

This may be true for local low voltage distribution in your area.

In my residential area low voltage distribution runs insulated from the power pole to the residences, but uninsulated from power pole to power pole.

High voltage (10s if not 100s of kilo volts)  run uninsulated here and I'd think that would be true anywhere.