Ride the City

John Berkers
Hi,

Saw this posted by Ride to Work on Facebook.  The maps are produced by CloudMade using OpenStreetMap data.  Bike Stores and Bike share facilities are also shown.

www.ridethecity.com
Ride the City is an application that helps bicyclists find safer routes around cities.

John Berkers

Re: Ride the City

Ben Kelley-4

I just tried some routes. It doesn't seem to give as much weight to cycle routes as ridethecity. E.g. Routing me along streets parallel to cycle routes.

It sent me through a footpath in a railway station (advising me to get off and walk) when there were off-road routes nearby.

The ability to allow ferries is nice though.

  - Ben.

Ben Kelley

On 25 January 2012 15:02, Ben Kelley <[hidden email]> wrote:

I just tried some routes. It doesn't seem to give as much weight to cycle routes as ridethecity. E.g. Routing me along streets parallel to cycle routes.

I think this may be why I Iike it.  As far as I can tell it ignores cycle routes, where as ride the city likes to get you on them.

My ideal cycle router would just ignore anything primary+, multi-lane or with a maxspeed greater than 50, and then just get me there the shortest way possible.  I find the bbbike "avoid main roads" option generally works for me.

I'm yet to find a "cycle route" (at least in Sydney) that offers anything over the residential road running parallel to it.  I'd much rather be guided by road width, traffic speed and traffic volume.

If cycle route implied some kind of cycle facility, then I'd be happy on a cycle route. The point (for me) of a cycle router, is if builds its own route from the infrastructure that exists on the ground.

Ian.