Road/Rail Bridge near Preston Park

TonyS
Hi

shows New England Road and Old Shoreham Road  Brighton.

The standard OSM render shows 12 rail lines bridged over the roads,
could be read as there being 12 bridges.

Looking at aerials in JOSM looks like those 12 rail lines cross over
using one bridge or perhaps even the road in a tunnel.

Mapillary detail not available, so in Google Street View there appears
to be 3 bridges, an arched bridge at the east end with a light gap
between it and the next bridge. This 2nd bridge is joined to the 3rd
bridge with no light gap, the west most of the three bridges has support
pillars, the central bridge doesn't.

Mapping this I think should be done as three bridges/areas using
man_made=bridge with the railway as layer 1. But what are the other
features to identify the arched and the bridge with support columns.

Thoughts on these railway bridges which are very common?

Regards

TonyS999

Re: Road/Rail Bridge near Preston Park

Philip Barnes
On Tuesday, 4 June 2019, Tony Shield wrote:

> Hi
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/50.83309/-0.14321
>
> shows New England Road and Old Shoreham Road  Brighton.
>
> The standard OSM render shows 12 rail lines bridged over the roads,
> could be read as there being 12 bridges.
>
> Looking at aerials in JOSM looks like those 12 rail lines cross over
> using one bridge or perhaps even the road in a tunnel.
>
> Mapillary detail not available, so in Google Street View there appears
> to be 3 bridges, an arched bridge at the east end with a light gap
> between it and the next bridge. This 2nd bridge is joined to the 3rd
> bridge with no light gap, the west most of the three bridges has support
> pillars, the central bridge doesn't.
>
> Mapping this I think should be done as three bridges/areas using
> man_made=bridge with the railway as layer 1. But what are the other
> features to identify the arched and the bridge with support columns.
>
> Thoughts on these railway bridges which are very common?

I have mapped an example just on the north side of Shrewsbury Station.

Phil (trigpoint)

--
Sent from my Sailfish device

Re: Road/Rail Bridge near Preston Park

Jez Nicholson
Known locally as "Pigeon Shit Bridge". I'll let you guess why for yourselves. Needless to say, one doesn't hang around when walking under it.

Although I can see the gap between the service road https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/633094942 and the first line https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/236002689 in general I would regard it as a single very wide bridge carrying 12 lines and the service road, with the gap being an anomaly.

As an aside, the bridge just further east https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/48132275 now has a cut-out 'ghost train' that is lit up at night.

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 6:14 PM Jez Nicholson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Known locally as "Pigeon Shit Bridge". I'll let you guess why for yourselves. Needless to say, one doesn't hang around when walking under it.

Although I can see the gap between the service road https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/633094942 and the first line https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/236002689 in general I would regard it as a single very wide bridge carrying 12 lines and the service road, with the gap being an anomaly.

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 4:31 PM Philip Barnes <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tuesday, 4 June 2019, Tony Shield wrote:
> Hi
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/50.83309/-0.14321
>
> shows New England Road and Old Shoreham Road  Brighton.
>
> The standard OSM render shows 12 rail lines bridged over the roads,
> could be read as there being 12 bridges.
>
> Looking at aerials in JOSM looks like those 12 rail lines cross over
> using one bridge or perhaps even the road in a tunnel.
>
> Mapillary detail not available, so in Google Street View there appears
> to be 3 bridges, an arched bridge at the east end with a light gap
> between it and the next bridge. This 2nd bridge is joined to the 3rd
> bridge with no light gap, the west most of the three bridges has support
> pillars, the central bridge doesn't.
>
> Mapping this I think should be done as three bridges/areas using
> man_made=bridge with the railway as layer 1. But what are the other
> features to identify the arched and the bridge with support columns.
>
> Thoughts on these railway bridges which are very common?

I have mapped an example just on the north side of Shrewsbury Station.

Phil (trigpoint)

--
Sent from my Sailfish device

Re: Road/Rail Bridge near Preston Park

Adam Snape

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019, 18:15 Jez Nicholson, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Known locally as "Pigeon Shit Bridge".

So who's going to add the loc_name tag ;)