Road name contradictions in the UK

Great Britain mailing list

Hi Everyone,

Our Open Maps team (https://github.com/microsoft/open-maps) has been continuing to work on analyzing OSM in the UK.  Some of you may have seen my session in Milan where we talked about Microsoft’s ongoing OSM work in Australia.

We’ve created a list of the top 1500 streets in the UK that appear to be missing names along with the name that we suspect should be there. We are not 100% certain if our suspicious are correct and, not being local to these areas we are not remotely trying to fill these in. If there are folks that know these areas we could use your help closing these gaps.

The complete list is available here:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!As04HHdPPfhgg4lYigS4IiWjp2JJiw

These are not major roads but they are associated with a large number of residential addresses so end up having a big impact.  We may also create a Maproulette challenge for these as well if that is preferable?

Thanks,

Oisin

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Fw: Road name contradictions in the UK

Great Britain mailing list
Hello again,

Wondering if there was any discussion on the previously submitted question, which is inline below? Happy to elaborate anyway I can where there is any ambiguity 🙂

Thanks,
Oisin

Re: Fw: Road name contradictions in the UK

Gregory Marler
Hi Oisin,

I've taken a very quick look at this spreadsheet (oops, getting distracted from work).

1) Can you elaborate on the source(s) of suspected road names?
2) It would helpful if each of us could look at your list in a more localised aspect. Either including county would be more helpful, or at least having latitude and longitude in separate columns makes it easier to use in other tools usually.
3) There's some obvious reasons why some of those aren't in OSM just by looking at the first 5.
3a) One was on a caravan park, so it might not have an official name or even a sign (again I would like to question the source).
3b) A way was about 3 metres to connect one road to another, it's debatable whether it should be named itself but could be fixed without a survey.
3c) There are lots of abbreviated names in your spreadsheet, even "Clos" which I presume is a strange shortening of "Close".

A Maproulette challenge might tempt people to copy the names from your spreadsheet (the legality and suitability of that is very unknown!).

All the best from Chester-le-Street,
Gregory.

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 at 13:38, Oisin Herriott (Insight Global Inc) via Talk-GB <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

No More Grapes
07939 689 691

Re: Fw: Road name contradictions in the UK

Jez Nicholson
I randomly found 2 good examples: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/634592359 and https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/478481882 which are both new housing estates....which would fit why a road with a lot of houses is unnamed. They may have been mapped prior to them receiving official road names.

The case that Greg already noted, mobile home parks, e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/230945815 may have road names but are sometimes private property and not accessible to mappers.

Perhaps there is extra processing that could classify them?

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 1:57 PM Gregory Marler <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Andrew Hain
Some roads tagged service look like reasonable candidates:

--
Andrew

Re: Road name contradictions in the UK

Andrew Hain
Is this something that could go in Survey Me?

--
Andrew

me

Re: Road name contradictions in the UK

me

Thanks, I’m thinking that there is some useful information here. As others have pointed out, it seems most probable that service roads probably won’t have names.

I’ve a look at 10 of the Scottish examples, most of these actually seemed to be referring to buildings, some of which need mapping and others that are already mapped.

OSM Table Road Comment
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/318396724 Franklin Ave Looks like actually Cotland Drive
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/37732406 Clyde Tower Service Road, has no name. Clyde Tower is correctly mapped as the nearby tower.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/321485236 Beachview Ct Again Beachview Court is a buiding. This is a service road.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/119334525 Clyde Ct OS OpenData StreetView shows Clyde Court as nearby building to be mapped
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/4900032 Phoenix Ct Looks like a building needs mapping
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/23397774 Red Bridge Ct Building is mapped
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/479772256 Eastern Vw Looks like building, needs mapping
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/584960381 Skylark Wynd New construction, needs mapping
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/92291906 Rosneath Castle Caravan Park Caravan Park
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/535587048 Victoria Cres New Construction needs mapping.

So in conclusion:

  • There is some useful data here for identifing improvements that can be made.
  • The matching could be improved to include buildings as well as roads.
  • What is the source of names, is this licence compatible?

Cheers
Chris

On 22/02/19 at 08:47pm, Oisin Herriott (Insight Global Inc) via Talk-GB wrote:

[...]

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists)-2

Candidate for project of the month?

Cheers

Andy

Re: Road name contradictions in the UK

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists)-2

About 50% of those in the list in my Cheshire patch are one housing estates which are still under construction. I tend to update these about once every three months or so.

Cheers

Andy

Re: Road name contradictions in the UK

Philip Barnes
I have downloaded the spreadsheet and split the lat/lon column into two numeric columns so that I can apply bounding boxes to see what there is within the areas I have knowledge of.

Ran out of time but should get to have a look later.

Phil (trigpoint)

--
Sent from my Sailfish device

Re: Fw: Road name contradictions in the UK

Andy Townsend
On 07/03/2019 13:56, Gregory Marler wrote:

> 1) Can you elaborate on the source(s) of suspected road names?
> 2) It would helpful if each of us could look at your list in a more
> localised aspect. Either including county would be more helpful, or at
> least having latitude and longitude in separate columns makes it
> easier to use in other tools usually.
> 3) There's some obvious reasons why some of those aren't in OSM just
> by looking at the first 5.
> 3a) One was on a caravan park, so it might not have an official name
> or even a sign (again I would like to question the source).
> 3b) A way was about 3 metres to connect one road to another, it's
> debatable whether it should be named itself but could be fixed without
> a survey.
> 3c) There are lots of abbreviated names in your spreadsheet, even
> "Clos" which I presume is a strange shortening of "Close".
>
> A Maproulette challenge might tempt people to copy the names from your
> spreadsheet (the legality and suitability of that is very unknown!).

+1 to all of that.  Without knowing the source of these names any
spreadsheet containing "missing names" is going to be very
problematical.  If a missing name isn't signed on the ground, then
what?  If an unsigned name's "correct" (e.g. it's available from OS
OpenData or another similarly admissible source) I'd typically add it
and then add "name:signed=no" to indicate that it's not useful for
giving directions.  In this case we've got a list of names which mostly
probably won't be signed on the road (caravan parks, buildings, etc.)

OS Locator is/was a good source of those missing names, as shown in
"Musical Chairs" here:

https://ris.dev.openstreetmap.org/oslmusicalchairs/map?zoom=16&lat=53.19551&lon=-1.38645&layers=B0TT&view_mode=pseudorandom

but as the OS have been playing "musical chairs" with their open data
offerings it may be that there isn't a more recent open OS source (that
example shows some missing new build roads).

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: Fw: Road name contradictions in the UK

Brian Prangle-2
Hi Andy

On 08/03/2019 10:15, Andy Townsend wrote:
> OS Locator is/was a good source of those missing names, as shown in
> "Musical Chairs" here:

There's also:
http://product.itoworld.com/product/data/osm_analysis/

Although don't be deceived by the 'Last Updated' date - It's not being
updated. When I contacted ITO to check if they'd had a change of heart &
were using OS Open Data, I received a reply "no plans to spend any time
developing OSM Analysis or Ito Map any further"

Would it take much effort to upgrade Musical Chairs to use OS Open Roads?

Cheers
DaveF