Route Relations questions - spurs and temporary diversions .

Route Relations questions - spurs and temporary diversions .

ianmac nz

I am updating a route relation and have some questions:

The route (route = mtb) is continuous and I have positioned the ways correctly in the relation so there are no "gaps" in the ordering. However some complicating factors exist. There are some "spurs" or sidetracks that come off the main trail to access camp sites and from time to time temporary diversions are in place for the trail due to logging, maintenance, mining activity.

1)  Should the spurs mapped with the same relation, and if so where should they be positioned in the relation. At present I have them at the final positions to avoid creating gaps. Is that common practice?

2) What is the suggested practice to map temporary diversions? I am conscious of not wanting to map for the renderer, but want to indicate the temporary nature of the diversion.

   Some options I have considered

    a)  Access = no on the closed ways and retain the existing route relation (e.g. "Trail X")  and add the exiting route relation added to the temporary diversions. If this is the case where should these additions be positioned/ordered in the relation.

   b) Access = no on the closed ways, and add a new route relation (e.g. "Trail X -Temp Diversion") to the temporary diversions.

    c) Remove the existing relation from the closed ways, and add them to the temporary diversions, then when the diversion is no longer in place undo this change.

Can anyone point out pros/cons with the above, offer alternatives or share their experience on how deal with these scenarios. Specific examples (especially related to cycle routes) would be very helpful.

Ian

Re: Route Relations questions - spurs and temporary diversions .

Dave F.
On 10/04/2014 09:56, ianmac nz wrote:

Hi Ian

It's always useful if you post a link to your edits so others can have a
clearer understanding.

> I am updating a route relation and have some questions:
>
> The route (route = mtb) is continuous and I have positioned the ways
> correctly in the relation so there are no "gaps" in the ordering.
> However some complicating factors exist. There are some "spurs" or
> sidetracks that come off the main trail to access camp sites and from
> time to time temporary diversions are in place for the trail due to
> logging, maintenance, mining activity.
>
> 1) Should the spurs mapped with the same relation, and if so where
> should they be positioned in the relation. At present I have them at
> the final positions to avoid creating gaps. Is that common practice?

Not sure if you're in New Zealand, but In the UK we have National Cycle
Networks (NCN) routes. Ways to get to these are often signed as links to
the route & labelled with the ref. number in brackets. I added a note
tag for clarity.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/51.45416/-2.57516&layers=C. Maybe
you could have something similar?

> 2) What is the suggested practice to maptemporary diversions? I am
> conscious of not wanting to map for the renderer, but want to indicate
> the temporary nature of the diversion.
>
>    Some options I have considered
>
>     a)  Access = no on the closed ways and retain the existing route
> relation (e.g. "Trail X") and add the exiting route relation added to
> the temporary diversions. If this is the case where should these
> additions be positioned/ordered in the relation.
>
>    b) Access = no on the closed ways, and add a new route relation
> (e.g. "Trail X -Temp Diversion") to the temporary diversions.
>
>     c) Remove the existing relation from the closed ways, and add them
> to the temporary diversions, then when the diversion is no longer in
> place undo this change.

I'd go for b), but most important is to remember to change back after.

Dave F.

---