[Routing] Error in round about during routing.

[Routing] Error in round about during routing.

David Myers
Dear Open Street map Routing list.

When using Open Street Map to navigate I have noticed recently that some roundabouts expect me to travel in the incorrect direction around them. It would seem that it defaults round abouts to 'driving in a CLOCKwise direction' (driving on the left side of the road, ala UK, Australia, Japan ... exits are turning left).

This needs to also be compared to other locations where they drive on the right hand side and hence use round abouts in an 'anti clockwise' direction (exits are turning right)

It seems to occur only on the round abouts on the 'minor roads'. So this could be a local problem with these roundabout being 'new' and being entered in under the incorrect type.

I use OSMand on my Apple Iphone

Versions :
iOS 12.3.1
OSMand : 3.0 (Not sure how to update the free version ? Checked the OSMand site and it seems that the iOS version is not updated as regularly as the android version ~ why and I not surprised :( )

The problem can be seen whilst navigating between the following points.

From : 25.12662 N   55.40228 E
To :     25.21895 N,   55.42896 E

I have only noticed this error recently, I don't know if the map details are updated more regularly than the underlying application.

I don't know if this is an issue with the routing as done by OSMand or if it is an error in the underlying routing library, or map data. Or may even be a problem since my most recent update of iOS.

If I can do anything else to assist in this please ask, I will do what I can.

Thanks for a brilliant mapping solution.

David

Re: [Routing] Error in round about during routing.

Florian Lohoff-2
On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 08:29:19AM +0400, David Myers wrote:
> Dear Open Street map Routing list.
>
> When using Open Street Map to navigate I have noticed recently that some
> roundabouts expect me to travel in the incorrect direction around them. It
> would seem that it defaults round abouts to 'driving in a CLOCKwise
> direction' (driving on the left side of the road, ala UK, Australia, Japan
> ... exits are turning left).

This link for easy look:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=graphhopper_car&route=25.1259%2C55.4012%3B25.2187%2C55.4297#map=13/25.1742/55.4360

> I have only noticed this error recently, I don't know if the map details
> are updated more regularly than the underlying application.
>
> I don't know if this is an issue with the routing as done by OSMand or if
> it is an error in the underlying routing library, or map data. Or may even
> be a problem since my most recent update of iOS.
>
> If I can do anything else to assist in this please ask, I will do what I
> can.

I had a quick look and all roundabouts seem to look okay - some carry a
redundant oneway=yes but they are all in the right direction for
right-hand-side traffic. I couldnt find a roundabout which has been
modified recently.

Could you point out a specific roundabout which gave you a problem?

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 [hidden email]