Run two versions of JOSM?

Randy-4
This question seemed more appropriate here than josm.devel.

I'd like to be able to choose to run one of two different versions of
JOSM, the tested version and the latest version. However, they usually use
incompatible plug-in versions, and they both point to the same default
application directory (C:[username]\Application Data\JOSM).

Is there a way to change the (Windows) Application Data directory for one
version or the other of JOSM,without recompiling JOSM, so that I can load
the appropriate commaptible sets of plug-ins? I didn't find that directory
in Setting Preferences.

--
Randy

Re: Run two versions of JOSM?

Lennard
Randy wrote:

> This question seemed more appropriate here than josm.devel.
>
> I'd like to be able to choose to run one of two different versions of
> JOSM, the tested version and the latest version. However, they usually use
> incompatible plug-in versions, and they both point to the same default
> application directory (C:[username]\Application Data\JOSM).
>
> Is there a way to change the (Windows) Application Data directory for one
> version or the other of JOSM,without recompiling JOSM, so that I can load
> the appropriate commaptible sets of plug-ins? I didn't find that directory
> in Setting Preferences.

Set this up with a copy of your settings:

mkdir "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\JOSM-latest"
xcopy /S "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\JOSM"
"%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\JOSM-latest"

The xcopy command should be 1 line.

Then run JOSM with this alternative settings dir:

java.exe -Djosm.home="%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\JOSM-latest" -jar
josm-latest.jar

Again, on 1 line.

--
Lennard

Re: Run two versions of JOSM?

Randy-4
Lennard wrote:

>Randy wrote:
>>This question seemed more appropriate here than josm.devel.
>>
>>I'd like to be able to choose to run one of two different versions of
>>JOSM, the tested version and the latest version. However, they usually use
>>incompatible plug-in versions, and they both point to the same default
>>application directory (C:[username]\Application Data\JOSM).
>>
>>Is there a way to change the (Windows) Application Data directory for one
>>version or the other of JOSM,without recompiling JOSM, so that I can load
>>the appropriate commaptible sets of plug-ins? I didn't find that directory
>>in Setting Preferences.
>
>Set this up with a copy of your settings:
>
>mkdir "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\JOSM-latest"
>xcopy /S "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\JOSM"
>"%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\JOSM-latest"
>
>The xcopy command should be 1 line.
>
>Then run JOSM with this alternative settings dir:
>
>java.exe -Djosm.home="%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\JOSM-latest" -jar
>josm-latest.jar
>
>Again, on 1 line.

Thanks Lennard, the josm.home parameter was my missing link.

--
Randy