Running behind a IPv6-only proxy

Rick van der Zwet
Attached a small patch using (p5-Net-INET6Glue) which enables IPv6
functionality. In my case to resolve a IPv6 proxy, my only way of
getting to IPv4 hosts on that machine.

I believe this patch will also allow native IPv6 communication if this
get activated on the servers. I am happy to test, but did not find (if
any) test IPv6 hostnames to use.

Br. /Rick
[1] http://search.cpan.org/dist/Net-INET6Glue/
--
http://rickvanderzwet.nl

lib-Server.pm.patch (406 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Running behind a IPv6-only proxy

Dirk-Lüder Kreie
Am 09.06.2011 14:26, schrieb Rick van der Zwet:

> Attached a small patch using (p5-Net-INET6Glue) which enables IPv6
> functionality. In my case to resolve a IPv6 proxy, my only way of
> getting to IPv4 hosts on that machine.
>
> I believe this patch will also allow native IPv6 communication if this
> get activated on the servers. I am happy to test, but did not find (if
> any) test IPv6 hostnames to use.
>
> Br. /Rick
> [1] http://search.cpan.org/dist/Net-INET6Glue/
I find IPv6 very intriguing, and feel motivated enough to do some IPv6
Stuff with the clients, but I need some time to wrap my head around what
INET6Glue really does in case some host is IPv4only, or the host is
dual-stacked but the internet connection is v4 only.

Sebastian: do you know wether our tileserver has a usable IPv6 address?

--

Dirk-Lüder "Deelkar" Kreie
Bremen - 53.0901°N 8.7868°E

Re: Running behind a IPv6-only proxy

spaetz
On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 23:34:05 +0200, Dirk-Lüder Kreie wrote:
> Sebastian: do you know wether our tileserver has a usable IPv6 address?

Yes, I know if it has one and you are not going to like the answer
:-)... IPV4 is probably all, this server will ever have.

Besides IPv6, what are currently the most pressing needs? I find the
recent developments with MapCSS clients pretty intriguing, and would
love if we could switch to one of them to allow people to pick up MapCSS
skills, and possibly get rid of inkscape.

But most pressing is probably the (lack of) decent TRAPI/ROMA
infrastructure, isn't it?

Sebastian

Am 20.06.2011 09:37, schrieb Sebastian Spaeth:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 23:34:05 +0200, Dirk-Lüder Kreie wrote:
>> Sebastian: do you know wether our tileserver has a usable IPv6 address?
>
> Yes, I know if it has one and you are not going to like the answer
> :-)... IPV4 is probably all, this server will ever have.

I think I might have infrastructure to provide some kind of
gateway/proxy/router to work around that.

> Besides IPv6, what are currently the most pressing needs? I find the
> recent developments with MapCSS clients pretty intriguing, and would
> love if we could switch to one of them to allow people to pick up MapCSS
> skills, and possibly get rid of inkscape.

I have not followed that too closely.

> But most pressing is probably the (lack of) decent TRAPI/ROMA
> infrastructure, isn't it?

Yes that's what I would name first, too. With Milenko's TRAPI back up
there are only two public TRAPI servers in the loadbalancing rotation.

I know of several private-run TRAPIs, but those are usually behind ADSL
lines and as such unusable for a wider audience. I myself have one
running for my renderers, but that is currently suffering from lack of
i/o speed and several days behind.

--

Dirk-Lüder "Deelkar" Kreie
Bremen - 53.0901°N 8.7868°E

Re: Running behind a IPv6-only proxy

Dirk-Lüder Kreie
Am 09.06.2011 14:26, schrieb Rick van der Zwet:

> Attached a small patch using (p5-Net-INET6Glue) which enables IPv6
> functionality. In my case to resolve a IPv6 proxy, my only way of
> getting to IPv4 hosts on that machine.
>
> I believe this patch will also allow native IPv6 communication if this
> get activated on the servers. I am happy to test, but did not find (if
> any) test IPv6 hostnames to use.
>
> Br. /Rick
> [1] http://search.cpan.org/dist/Net-INET6Glue/
committed to trunk, will move to Vizag after short test phase.

please switch to trunk to test

run "svn switch
http://svn.openstreetmap/applications/rendering/tilesAtHome-dev/trunk"
in your tah client directory (in one line w/o quotes)

--
Dirk-Lüder "Deelkar" Kreie
Bremen - 53.0901°N 8.7868°E

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

2011/6/22 Dirk-Lüder Kreie <[hidden email]>:

> Am 09.06.2011 14:26, schrieb Rick van der Zwet:
>> Attached a small patch using (p5-Net-INET6Glue) which enables IPv6
>> functionality. In my case to resolve a IPv6 proxy, my only way of
>> getting to IPv4 hosts on that machine.
>>
>> I believe this patch will also allow native IPv6 communication if this
>> get activated on the servers. I am happy to test, but did not find (if
>> any) test IPv6 hostnames to use.
>>
>> Br. /Rick
>> [1] http://search.cpan.org/dist/Net-INET6Glue/
>
> committed to trunk, will move to Vizag after short test phase.
>
> please switch to trunk to test
>
> run "svn switch
> http://svn.openstreetmap/applications/rendering/tilesAtHome-dev/trunk"
> in your tah client directory (in one line w/o quotes)

Switched to trunk., testing the IPv6 proxy and it works works like a charm!

Br. /Rick
--
http://rickvanderzwet.nl

Am 28.06.2011 20:38, schrieb Rick van der Zwet:

>> run "svn switch
>> http://svn.openstreetmap/applications/rendering/tilesAtHome-dev/trunk"
>> in your tah client directory (in one line w/o quotes)
>
> Switched to trunk., testing the IPv6 proxy and it works works like a charm!
>
> Br. /Rick

Now we need someone with IPv4only to test and confirm it still works as
intended.

--

Dirk-Lüder "Deelkar" Kreie
Bremen - 53.0901°N 8.7868°E