Satellite images for offline use?

Timo Juhani Lindfors
Hi,

where can I download the satellite images used as a background on the
http://www.openstreetmap.org/ site for offline use? I fetched the
source from SVN but couldn't find any obvious pointers to the image
data.

best regards,
Timo Lindfors

Re: Satellite images for offline use?

Alex Willmer
On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 20:40 +0200, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> Hi,
>
> where can I download the satellite images used as a background on the
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/ site for offline use? I fetched the
> source from SVN but couldn't find any obvious pointers to the image
> data.

The imagery is from Landsat, a NASA satellite. Openstreetmap doesn't
hold the data locally, each time a tile is requested the applet queries
a WMS server. I believe it's the same server used by osm-editor, which
is:

http://onearth.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi

USGS recently announced a new release of Landsat data, that has been
orthorectified:

http://technology.slashgeo.org/technology/05/12/29/1625212.shtml

You may select your desired landsat tiles using the glovis or oneearth
and then fetch them using the ftp links provided.

I'd love to hear other sources or tips.

Regards

Alex

Re: Satellite images for offline use?

Erik Johansson-2
On 1/5/06, Alex Willmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 20:40 +0200, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > where can I download the satellite images used as a background on the
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/ site for offline use? I fetched the
> > source from SVN but couldn't find any obvious pointers to the image
> > data.
>
> The imagery is from Landsat, a NASA satellite. Openstreetmap doesn't
> hold the data locally, each time a tile is requested the applet queries
> a WMS server. I believe it's the same server used by osm-editor, which
> is:
>
> http://onearth.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi
>
> USGS recently announced a new release of Landsat data, that has been
> orthorectified:
>
> http://technology.slashgeo.org/technology/05/12/29/1625212.shtml
>
> You may select your desired landsat tiles using the glovis or oneearth
> and then fetch them using the ftp links provided.
>
> I'd love to hear other sources or tips.

 landsat 7 of europe as a torrent.
http://www.geotorrent.org/

Also there are a multitude of World wind data cacher out there.

--
/Erik

Re: Satellite images for offline use?

Mikel Maron
The wms for the satellite imagery is described at http://onearth.jpl.nasa.gov/

I have a friendly interface to it at http://brainoff.com/worldkit/mapproxy/

-Mikel

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 07:13:50AM +0100, Erik Johansson wrote:
>  landsat 7 of europe as a torrent.
> http://www.geotorrent.org/

Thanks! I have 1.8 gigabytes of "Europe Landsat742.ecw" here now.

Is there some free software[1] I can use to read that ECW (ERMapper
Compress Wavelets?) format?

best regards,
Timo Lindfors

[1] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Re: Satellite images for offline use?

Steve Coast

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 07:13:50AM +0100, Erik Johansson wrote:
> >  landsat 7 of europe as a torrent.
> > http://www.geotorrent.org/
>
> Thanks! I have 1.8 gigabytes of "Europe Landsat742.ecw" here now.
>
> Is there some free software[1] I can use to read that ECW (ERMapper
> Compress Wavelets?) format?

yup, google for it

support on non-windows machines is flaky at best

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/

Re: Satellite images for offline use?

frank mohr

http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/frmt_ecw.html

Re: Satellite images for offline use?

frank mohr
need to add something

--- frank mohr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> --- Timo Juhani Lindfors <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Is there some free software[1] I can use to read that ECW (ERMapper
> > Compress Wavelets?) format?
>
> http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/frmt_ecw.html

gdal needs the external ECW SDK libraries provided by ERMapper.
The SDK is only available for WIN/MacOS and Solaris (SPARC)
Think it's time to reactivate my SparcStation again ;-)

frank

Re: Satellite images for offline use?

Timo Juhani Lindfors
[I'm sorry if you get this message twice, I forgot to include the mailing list so I'm resending this.]

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 05:28:26PM +0100, Thomas Walraet wrote:
> >Is there some free software[1] I can use to read that ECW (ERMapper
> >Compress Wavelets?) format?
>

> gvSIG is able to handle ECW :
>
> http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=ECW+&section=projects

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it seems I should have been even
more specific in my original question. I'm looking for free software
than I can also build and run with with free software.

It seems that gvSIG can't be built without some proprietary stuff from
SUN Microsystems :(

[javac] 3. ERROR in /home/lindi/local/gvSIG/workspace/FMap/src/com/iver/cit/gvsig/fmap/FMap.java
[javac]  (at line 83)
[javac]     import com.sun.java.swing.SwingUtilities2;
[javac]            ^^^^^^^^^^^^
[javac] The import com.sun.java cannot be resolved
[javac] ----------
[javac] ----------

Do you know any software that you know is free software and that can
also be used/built/run with free software? I'm currently looking at
libecwj2-3.3.zip but its license[1] seems to be quite hard to
understand.

best regards,
Timo Lindfors

[1] http://iki.fi/lindi/libecw/License.txt

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 08:29:28PM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hello!
>
> OpenEV is fine.
> http://openev.sourceforge.net/
>
> But it has poor performance on Windows. Perhaps you try it on Linux?

Thanks for the pointer. However, OpenEV seems to depend on GDAL

 "OpenEV requires GDAL library, but it was not found.  Please download
 and install it.  See http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal"

which further seems to depend on "ECW SDK libraries provided by
ERMapper" as Frank Mohr pointed out earlier. I'm trying to understand
the "ECW SDK" license terms but they are somewhat confusing. Is it
possible that all ECW software depends on these ERMapper libraries?

best regards,
Timo Lindfors

Re: Satellite images for offline use?

Petter Reinholdtsen

[Timo Juhani Lindfors]
> Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it seems I should have been even
> more specific in my original question. I'm looking for free software
> than I can also build and run with with free software.

Apparently those are in short supply when it comes to ECW processing. :(

Did you try to contact the authors of gvSIG and ask if they could port
the software to one of the free Java VM implementations, and the
classpath developers if they are interested in implementing
com.sun.java.swing.SwingUtilities2?

The screen shots of gvSIG looks nice, but I tried to visit their web
page to download it and found it to be broken (non-functional links)
and a scrolling text scrolling way to fast for me to read. :)

I hope the Java GIS tools will start to work with free Java soon.
Both OpenJUMP and JOSM would be nice to have running without the
license issues of the Java VM from SUN. :)

Re: Re: Satellite images for offline use?

Timo Juhani Lindfors
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 01:14:39AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Did you try to contact the authors of gvSIG and ask if they could port
> the software to one of the free Java VM implementations, and the

I haven't contacted gvSIG authors yet since I was hoping there would
be a better solution. Are you sure that gvSIG does not also depend on
some java version of "ECW SDK" too?

Since the simplest option would be to just make "ECW SDK" free I
contacted Steve Halasz who filed the "Intend to Package" (ITP) request
for libecw in debian to ask whether he has contacted the "ECW SDK"
authors about the license problems. The original ITP request is at

> classpath developers if they are interested in implementing
> com.sun.java.swing.SwingUtilities2?

classpath people most likely are not eager to implement com.sun.*
simply because afaik there is no documentation for it that they could
use.

> I hope the Java GIS tools will start to work with free Java soon.
> Both OpenJUMP and JOSM would be nice to have running without the
> license issues of the Java VM from SUN. :)

If it really turns out that gvSIG is the only free implementation I'll
certainly take a look at fixing it to not use com.sun.*.

Oh, and hey, are you "pere" from freenode? I remember when you asked
about the openstreetmaps applet on #classpath a year ago.

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 21:53 +0200, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 08:29:28PM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > OpenEV is fine.
> > http://openev.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > But it has poor performance on Windows. Perhaps you try it on Linux?
>
> Thanks for the pointer. However, OpenEV seems to depend on GDAL
>
>  "OpenEV requires GDAL library, but it was not found.  Please download
>  and install it.  See http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal"
>
> which further seems to depend on "ECW SDK libraries provided by
> ERMapper" as Frank Mohr pointed out earlier. I'm trying to understand
> the "ECW SDK" license terms but they are somewhat confusing. Is it
> possible that all ECW software depends on these ERMapper libraries?

Yes, as I understand it ECW is ERMapper's in-house image compression
format. Hence only their software can use it. GDAL has optional ECW
support, only this part relies on the ECW SDK.

The license for the Ermapper ECW JPEG 2000 SDK appears to be here:
http://www.ermapper.com/downloads/download_view.aspx?PRODUCT_VERSION_ID=275

At a glance, although it claims to be GPL like, the EULA doesn't seem
GPL compatible. It's probably BSD compatible (like most things). As
always IANAL, this isn't legal advice.

The equivalent open standard is JPEG 2000. JPEG 2000 has an open source
library called jasper.

http://www.ece.uvic.ca/~mdadams/jasper/

In terms of getting your ECW decoded under linux, have you tried the SDK
under Wine?

Both ECCW and JPEG 2000 compete with another, similar technology from
Lizardtech called MrSid. All these image formats are based on wavelet
compression, which Lizardtech hold patents on. Lizardtech have tried to
claim in court that these patents cover ECW, and by implication JPEG
2000:

http://www.directionsmag.com/press.releases/index.php?duty=Show&id=9007

Alex

PS Timo, sorry for the duplicate replys.

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 02:42:01AM +0000, Alex Willmer wrote:
> Yes, as I understand it ECW is ERMapper's in-house image compression
> format. Hence only their software can use it. GDAL has optional ECW

Thanks for confirming this.

> The license for the Ermapper ECW JPEG 2000 SDK appears to be here:
> http://www.ermapper.com/downloads/download_view.aspx?PRODUCT_VERSION_ID=275

Yep. And just in case that url changes I've put a copy of the license
available at http://iki.fi/lindi/libecj/License.txt (md5sum
bd7412f6986338fc70c23660d5ac1ec6)

> At a glance, although it claims to be GPL like, the EULA doesn't seem
> GPL compatible. It's probably BSD compatible (like most things). As
> always IANAL, this isn't legal advice.

IANAL either but I'm mostly worried about

"iii) You are not permitted to change the ECW file format."

> The equivalent open standard is JPEG 2000. JPEG 2000 has an open source
> library called jasper.

Ok, that's good to know but it doesn't exactly help me unless somebody
can convert all the data to JPEG 2000. Any takers? ;)

> In terms of getting your ECW decoded under linux, have you tried the SDK
> under Wine?

I'd like to resolve the licensing issues first before starting to
use/modify the software.

> Both ECCW and JPEG 2000 compete with another, similar technology from
> Lizardtech called MrSid. All these image formats are based on wavelet
> compression, which Lizardtech hold patents on. Lizardtech have tried to
> claim in court that these patents cover ECW, and by implication JPEG
> 2000:
>
> http://www.directionsmag.com/press.releases/index.php?duty=Show&id=9007

Aha, interesting.

best regards,