Select and correct a discovered key duplication of sorts in JOSM

Select and correct a discovered key duplication of sorts in JOSM

Bob Hawkins
I discovered to my dismay yesterday while I was adding/updating Public Rights of Way in JOSM that I have been using a mix of initial upper case and lower case alone for a key I created: ref:Chiltern_Society and ref:chiltern_society.  I have tried searches that will select Chiltern_Society, say, by using a “C” in the search, for case sensitive, without success.  I have covered a large amount of South Oxfordshire with my additions and updates.  I have three questions, I guess:
1. how do I search this whole area of OSM in my search to know that all cases have been found?
2. what should the key be, now that I find myself in this situation: ref:Chiltern_Society or ref:chiltern_society?
3. what would be the best method of changing all deemed to be incorrect without carrying out changes singly?
I appreciate this matters not at all so far as the data is concerned.  Having discovered it, however, I should prefer not to have to live with it.  Furthermore, will the two keys remain in the list of keys displayed when adding or editing tags?

Re: Select and correct a discovered key duplication of sorts in JOSM

Dan S
Hi

Overpass lets you search for things like this, and then export them into JOSM. You can do it via http://overpass-turbo.eu/ - but to do it case-insensitively, you need to know this tip with regular expressions: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/Overpass_QL#Key.2Fvalue_matches_regular_expression_.28.7E.22key_regex.22.7E.22value_regex.22.29

So what I'd do is:
1. In overpass-turbo, construct the query using case-insensitive regular expressions: [~"^ref:Chiltern_Society$"~".",i] - if you follow this link you'll see I've done it
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/r4W
You can click "Run" to execute this query.
2. I'd suggest lowercase is the best thing to go for.
3. After you have run the query, click "Export" and load it into JOSM. In JOSM you can then use the program's own search tool to select all the objects which use that key, and you can then convert them all in one go. You can then upload.
It's possible that some would find this upload controversial: editing over 1000 objects in a single find-and-replace is verging on the kind of automated edit which many people would say needs community approval. In this case since it's a specific region and if as you say it's your own edits you're revisiting, you might be OK...? Not sure.

Best
Dan

[...]

I am most grateful for your immediate and constructive reply.
I am used to Overpass Turbo and think it is a brilliant resource but lack the knowledge to construct any but the simplest queries.  I understand what you write about bulk uploading.  I am confident that few, if any, entries will be from other OSM contributors – it was something I wanted to do to provide information to users of the Chilterns while adding standardised Public Rights of Way references, as the Chiltern Society has its own path numbering system that it uses in its publications.  It is great to see the total extent of my actions, which I should not have been able to create in JOSM.  I am surprised to find I have been so far afield!  I must mention at this point, I had completely overlooked the presence of a checkbox, “case sensitive” in JOSM until I had posted my message!  I think I agree the key should be completely lower case as that is the usual structure.  It was second nature to use initial capitals for a proper name.  I regret I have no success exporting the data.  I have JOSM open but receive the message, “Remote control not found. :( Make sure JOSM is already running and properly configured.” which surprised me because I have used the remote control facility before and work with the latest update always.

Re: Select and correct a discovered key duplication of sorts in JOSM

Bob Hawkins
My failing brain disturbs me at times: Edit>Preferences>Remote Control>Enable remote control!

Re: Select and correct a discovered key duplication of sorts in JOSM

David Groom

Alternatively in JOSM:

File > Download from Overpass API

Then put  ref:Chiltern_Society = *  in the text box next to "Build query", then click "Build Query".
Next select download area, and then click "Download"

David

My failing brain disturbs me at times: Edit>Preferences>Remote Control>Enable remote control!

Re: Select and correct a discovered key duplication of sorts in JOSM

Bob Hawkins
I return to this thread because there is something I do not understand.  I wish not to make an error undertaking the change I plan.  I queried ‘ref:chiltern_society=* within South Oxfordshire in Overpass Turbo and exported the result to JOSM.  Selecting all, and viewing the results I see in excess of 3,000 unset values against the keys. ‘ref_chiltern_society’ reads ‘<220 different, 3416 unset>’, for example.  ‘prow_ref’ shows the same, fortunately, because the numbers should match.  I fail to understand the number of unset values if I have queried a particular key.  Why are there not 220 ways selected?  I ran the query without nodes and relations and the result was the same.  I believe it would be acceptable to edit the tags in question but am concerned to know the answer before I do so.
One further question: how do I search for the keys ‘ref:chiltern_society’ and ‘source:prow_ref’ in JOSM?  It appears that the use of a colon is not recognised in these cases because of its use in other circumstances?

Re: Select and correct a discovered key duplication of sorts in JOSM

Michael Booth
I think select all includes all of the vertex nodes in each of the ways. You need to select all, ctrl + F, then choose "find in selection" and click "type:way" to select only the ways.