Self serve and full serve gas stations

Re: Self serve and full serve gas stations

Shawn K. Quinn
On Wed, 2015-06-10 at 13:02 -0500, John Eldredge wrote:
> From my experience in the USA, prepay is only available by going inside and
> paying the clerk. If it turns out you didn't have enough room in your fuel
> tank for the amount you prepaid for, you go inside a second time and get a
> refund. The majority of self-service stations now require that you either
> pay at the pump with a card, or come inside and prepay if you will be using
> cash, because of people pumping fuel and then driving away without paying.

The only stations I know of that still do post-pay are RaceWay stations
(or it might have been RaceTrac, it's been a while) and those require
you to swipe a (store-issued) ID card at the pump first.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <[hidden email]>

Re: Self serve and full serve gas stations

John Willis

> On Jun 11, 2015, at 3:13 AM, Shawn K. Quinn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The only stations I know of that still do post-pay are RaceWay stations
> (or it might have been RaceTrac, it's been a while) and those require
> you to swipe a (store-issued) ID card at the pump first.

In Japan, a lot of the "automated" self stations (which of course accept cash at the pump, being Japan and All) are pre-pay, but there are a lot of self stations with an office and an attendant (ENOS J-quest stations) that are still post-pay. These are stations that opened in the last 5 years, so it is a conscious decision to keep doing this post pay, which is surprising to me.

As long as we're discussing weird gas station habits, you are not allowed to fill your own gas cans. An attendant has to fill them - and only 40L.  They made this change because of terrorist worries or some stupid reason.  And All gasoline cans have to be metal. All kerosene cans are plastic (so gasoline isn't accidentally put in a kerosene heater - which would explode and burn a house down). Farmers can get 200L of diesel in cans for tractors.

Javbw.

Re: Self serve and full serve gas stations

Paul Johnson-3
On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 1:02 PM, John Eldredge <[hidden email]> wrote:
From my experience in the USA, prepay is only available by going inside and paying the clerk. If it turns out you didn't have enough room in your fuel tank for the amount you prepaid for, you go inside a second time and get a refund. The majority of self-service stations now require that you either pay at the pump with a card, or come inside and prepay if you will be using cash, because of people pumping fuel and then driving away without paying.

Yeah, Kum & Go, as a chain, seems to be very unique in dispensing gas on the honor system, and could be idiosyncratic to the region, in allowing pumps to start with the press of a button and no other input; usually it's some one-off Sinclair or Exxon franchises that are slow and rural enough to provide self and mini service on the same island at the same price, often using older equipment incapable of accepting payment at the pump.  QuikTrip will allow this, but they issue a QuikStart card (that they only advertise in 10 point font on a sticker on the front of the pump along with the rest of the fine print like how much to expect a credit hold to be and the maximum amount dispensed per card sale) so they know who turned on the pump before driving off without paying.