Server with 256MB RAM?

Daniel Bossert-2
Hi all

I have a server with 256MB. Is there a chance to get tiles@home working?
Wich maxcomplexity should I set?
How much RAM for the JAVA rendering?

I have seen that there are virtualbox machines for 256MB RAM, so it should
be possible..

Kind regards
Daniel22B

Re: Server with 256MB RAM?

Rick van der Zwet
On 24 January 2012 12:53, Daniel Bossert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a server with 256MB. Is there a chance to get tiles@home working?

No; Minimum of 2 GB is recommended:
   http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tiles@home/Install_Guide#Prerequisites

> Wich maxcomplexity should I set?
> How much RAM for the JAVA rendering?

I have tried running it on a 1GB machine and ran into all kind of
weird and wonderful issues during rendering, so I would not recommend
on machines with less than 2GB of RAM.

Br. /Rick
--
http://rickvanderzwet.nl

Re: Server with 256MB RAM?

Daniel Bossert-2
Hi Rick

Thanks for your answer.
Yes, now I know I had seen that a maschine needs much memory for that..
but when I read that about the Virtualbox-maschine I thought it would work
with 256MB and wanted to get busy my VPS-machine somewhere in the world
when I wasn't directly using it.

Next question:
I have a maschine at home with 32GB; I have build two virualmachines (one
with 16GB, one with 6GB RAM) which work fine.

a) Is it needed that one machine has 16GB? Would 12 or 8GB be enough or
shall I drive it with 16GB?

Would my maschine be more efficiency when I would dramatically increase
JavaHeapSize from the default 512MB to let's say 12GB on my 16GB machine
and 4GB on my 6GB machine?

Kind regards and sorry for this beginners-questions..
Daniel

--
PGP-Key-ID: 0x7C7A722B

Re: Server with 256MB RAM?

Daniel Bossert-2
Hi Didier

Many thanks for your input!
The mentioned tile is really a big one! And my server (now ) can't
render it! Sad.
The message is:
0% tile-z16 : Splitting stripe 0... SplitTiles: Missing File
/tmp/12_2074_1409_S1ujs/tile-z16-s0.png encountered at lib/Tileset.pm
line 1380.

real 71m22.332s
user 59m22.383s
sys  3m17.760s

So is it really possible that it takes one hour for that tile?
My VM has no 10GB RAM, at the moment 3.3G used.
MaxTilesetComplexity = 0
JavaHeapSize=8192M

Is this ok, should I change anything on my config? Or is my server not
able to handle this big tile?? My dear...

Kind regards
Daniel

Re: Server with 256MB RAM?

Holger Blum
Daniel Bossert <[hidden email]> schrieb am 24.01.2012 um 13:26 Uhr:

> I have a maschine at home with 32GB; I have build two virualmachines (one
> with 16GB, one with 6GB RAM) which work fine.
>
> a) Is it needed that one machine has 16GB? Would 12 or 8GB be enough or
> shall I drive it with 16GB?

I have to admit that I don't really have a deeper knowledge of
tah-clients, but I can tell you from my experience that there are
tilesets where 8GB of RAM are not enough.
http://tah.openstreetmap.org/Browse/details/tile/12/2097/1374/ for
example leads to excessive swapping in my 8GB VM. And the diskimage is
on a slow HD, so it may take an hour or so to render or it even fails
before.

So if you can spend the RAM, do it ;-)

Holger

Re: Server with 256MB RAM?

didier2020@free.fr
>Hi Didier
>
>So, the config is changed and the fonttest failed; however I am testing
>your big paris-tile-test..
>
>Do I have to set batikpath?
yes
look at