Sharps / syringe disposal

Graeme Fitzpatrick
Carrying on from where it was raised under Medicine Disposal

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 at 18:56, Markus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019, 00:59 Graeme Fitzpatrick <[hidden email] wrote:

Would =drugs also apply to sharps bins for needle disposal?

I would think they should have their own tag? (or is there one already that I just didn't see?)

I guess you usually aren't allowed to throw syringes in a drugs drop box or to throw drugs in a syringes drop box. Therefore i think that separate keys make sense. How about waste=syringes? (Imho you throw the whole syringe in, not just the needle.)

For the unlikely case of a drop box for both drugs and syringes, these values could be combined as waste=drugs;syringes.

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 at 08:38, Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here waste boxes for syringes tend to be lables 'sharps' .. I think that is an Americanizm. Any UK experience?

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 02:53, Philip Barnes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sharps is the term used in the UK too.

So, would waste=sharps be an acceptable term?

Would they be best tagged as a separate node of their own? (Biohazard sympol would make for a nice icon! https://www.dreamstime.com/sharp-container-icon-sharp-container-simple-icon-medicine-waste-clipart-isolated-white-background-image125538340)

Sharps bins like these https://goo.gl/images/pmXf7G are frequently found in public toilet blocks - would they also get a separate tag on the building, or just be listed under attributes of the toilet?

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Sharps / syringe disposal

Markus-5
On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 at 23:10, Graeme Fitzpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So, would waste=sharps be an acceptable term?

According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharps_waste),
sharps waste includes:

* Hypodermic needles
* Disposable scalpels and blades
* Contaminated glass and some plastics

Therefore we may need both waste=sharps and waste=syringes as it is
most likely not allowed to throw e.g. scalpels into boxes that are
only labelled 'syringes'.

> Would they be best tagged as a separate node of their own? [...]
>
> Sharps bins like these https://goo.gl/images/pmXf7G are frequently found in public toilet blocks - would they also get a separate tag on the building, or just be listed under attributes of the toilet?

I would tag outdoor syringes drop boxes (like
https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2625/3712579179_78e4c15daa_b.jpg) on a
separate node and indoor ones as an attribute of the toilet, perhaps
syringes_bin=yes?

Regards

Markus

Re: Sharps / syringe disposal

Joseph Eisenberg
I’m a physician. Sharps boxes are designed for safe disposal of all sharp medical waste, whether a scalpel, needle or broken glass.

I asked a British doctor, and she confirms that “sharps” is also the correct term in England.

Syringes are not sharp. It’s the needle (which may be attached to a syringe) that is the issue

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019, 09:39 Joseph Eisenberg, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’m a physician. Sharps boxes are designed for safe disposal of all sharp medical waste, whether a scalpel, needle or broken glass.

Thanks for your confirmation.

Syringes are not sharp. It’s the needle (which may be attached to a syringe) that is the issue

Do you or someone else happen to know what is allowed to throw into a bin labelled 'syringes'? I would have guessed needles and ampoules, but no other sharp waste such as scalpels.

Regards

Markus

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 at 02:28, Markus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do you or someone else happen to know what is allowed to throw into a bin labelled 'syringes'? I would have guessed needles and ampoules, but no other sharp waste such as scalpels.

Bins in public areas (parks, public toilets etc) are intended to have syringes, with needles attached, disposed of into them. I guess someone could also put an ampoule in there, but I don't think most people (hopefully) using these bins are getting their drugs out of ampoules!

Also don't think there's many used scalpel blades to be disposed of in public areas!

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Sharps / syringe disposal

Markus-5

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019, 01:24 Graeme Fitzpatrick, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Bins in public areas (parks, public toilets etc) are intended to have syringes, with needles attached, disposed of into them. I guess someone could also put an ampoule in there, but I don't think most people (hopefully) using these bins are getting their drugs out of ampoules!

Sorry, i meant syringes and needles, but wrote ampoules and needles. 🤦