Shopping area

Stephen Johnson
I am working on what we would locally call shopping centers or strip malls. These are a group of shops that share walls so that they are essentially one building with multiple entrances.  I have gone through several iterations of my attempt to map them and for each one see problems.  I can't seem to find a good example.  I don't really know where to look but I have tried nearby large towns and it looks like no one is attempting to be very sophisticated about it.  I am attempting to include addressing information as well as tagging the shops and their type.  Here are the problems.

1) In this area these shops tend to be addressed with one house number (for the building) and "suite" numbers for each shop.  How should I include this in the address.  I first tried including the "suite" number under addr:unit but that renders as all the shops having the same address (i.e. only the house number shows).  I then used the format addr:[housenumber] suite [suitenumber].  this renders better but would it confuse routing software? I also left the unit tag with the suite number.

2) Should I draw separate building polygons for each store even though they are in the same building and put the shop tag and name on the building polygon? Or should I have one building polygon with the tags on a node in the center of each shop?  I currently have it on a node in the center of the shop.

3) Where should I put the address information? I currently have it on the entrance as the Wiki suggests but I later realized that if the entrance has the address then there is no association with the shop since those tags are on the node in the center of the shop.

Any help you can give would be appreciated including pointing me to good examples.

Thanks,

Stephen

Re: Shopping area

Richard Weait
I've done these often, as follows.

One building=yes for the strip mall.  Add addr:street and
addr:housenumber for the building polygon.

Add amenity=parking polygon(s) where appropriate.

Add highway=service; service=driveway to connect the local roads to
the parking areas.

Add a node for each business, and place it near where the main door to
the business is located.  That node should include name=xxxxxx;
shop=yyyyyy (or amenity, whatever is applicable)

Add wheelchair=yes if the place has a power door and wheelchair
button, or whatever criteria you use locally.

Adding the addr:suite= is a nice touch, as is adding opening_hours=

there are things that can not be modelled perfectly in OpenStreetMap,
and that's okay.  We can model things well enough to be very useful.
Doing a survey of a local strip mall brings, accurate, complete, up to
date data to OpenStreetMap.  That's excellent.

Best regards and happy mapping,

Richard

Re: Shopping area

ianmac nz
Hi Richard

This sounds good.

Can you add a link to an example where you have mapped this way.

Cheers

Re: Shopping area

Richard Weait
Jamieson Estate Plaza, a strip mall with shops and parking.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/31725282