Should power line access trails be mapped

Should power line access trails be mapped

Gavin Scott-272
Within a national park in Australia there are various power lines that run through it, on account of there being a hydro electricity generating scheme within its boundaries. The national park has its own Management Trails which are labelled on paper maps and are used by all and sundry for access within the park. Leading off these management trails are various access trails that were put in by the hydro authority that lead to their power poles. These trails are not maintained, usually dead end and are short. Other than accessing the power poles these trails are useless for others.
I have noticed some one is devoting their efforts to mapping these "trails" using satellite imagery.

I believe the mapping of these trails to the power poles is not correct. I might add they often label these trails with the tag FIXME.
Is it considered opinion that these trails should be mapped?

If not what do I do with these trails labelled FIXME? Do I just delete them?

thanks

Re: Should power line access trails be mapped

ianmac nz
Hi

If they are a real world feature and mapped accurately I would say leave them

Although you don't see a use for them, others may, now or in the future.

You could try contacting the maper to discuss with them esp the meaning of the FIXME tag.

Cheers

On 10 December 2013 09:19, Gavin Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ian MacIntosh

Re: Should power line access trails be mapped

Xan-3
In my opinion, yes.
All things that you could map, you should map because these things could serve others to guide theirselfs, overall in national park. A Power line could serve for saying "yes, we are on the right track!".

If you have to priorize, first map the main ("big") things as highways, relevant houses, etc. And then the small things.

You say that the official mapping of the park maps this trails. I think it's because the trails are important for any reason. So, my answer could be yes. But always it depends on your available time.

Xan.

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 12:19:56 +1100
Gavin Scott <[hidden email]> ha escrit:

> Within a national park in Australia there are various power lines that run
> through it, on account of there being a hydro electricity generating scheme
> within its boundaries. The national park has its own Management Trails
> which are labelled on paper maps and are used by all and sundry for access
> within the park. Leading off these management trails are various access
> trails that were put in by the hydro authority that lead to their power
> poles. These trails are not maintained, usually dead end and are short.
> Other than accessing the power poles these trails are useless for others.
> I have noticed some one is devoting their efforts to mapping these "trails"
> using satellite imagery.
>
> I believe the mapping of these trails to the power poles is not correct. I
> might add they often label these trails with the tag FIXME.
> Is it considered opinion that these trails should be mapped?
>
> If not what do I do with these trails labelled FIXME? Do I just delete them?
>
> thanks

Re: Should power line access trails be mapped

Steve Bennett-3
Hello,
  I'm the mapper in question who put them there. Here's the response I sent Gavin:
----
Thanks for getting in touch. Yeah, I've been adding "fixme" tags like that when I'm just mapping from imagery and don't know much about whether the track is actually public or whatever.

>I would think they should not be mapped. What do you think?

I can't see any reason not to? Even if they're not open to public vehicles (which I'm assuming is the case), they might be useful for a hiker or cyclist. Power line service tracks sometimes make good mountain bike trails as they're frequently very steep, rough, etc.

Is this specific example useful? I dunno - it's hard to tell. But generally I think stuff that exists should be mapped.

PS See how it renders on cycletour.org http://bit.ly/1iRyGzZ
----

Steve