Sierra Leone Imagery for non-profit?

Thomas Kandler-2
Hi folks,

sorry for the OT, but I have a question with seems suitable for the
audience:

is it possible to aquire high-res imagery (meaning <=10m + maybe
multispectral) for non-profit use in Sierra Leone in a cost-saving way?

The non-profit is aiming to map out the mining activity in the whole
country to get a grip on the administration of those activities.
Unfortunately they have little to no funds for software or data.

Just a shot in the dark from me, so ignore if too OT.

Thanks & have a great day
Thomas

Re: Sierra Leone Imagery for non-profit?

Jean-Guilhem Cailton
Le 22/11/2016 à 11:46, Thomas Kandler a écrit :

> Hi folks,
>
> sorry for the OT, but I have a question with seems suitable for the
> audience:
>
> is it possible to aquire high-res imagery (meaning <=10m + maybe
> multispectral) for non-profit use in Sierra Leone in a cost-saving way?
>
> The non-profit is aiming to map out the mining activity in the whole
> country to get a grip on the administration of those activities.
> Unfortunately they have little to no funds for software or data.
>

> Just a shot in the dark from me, so ignore if too OT.
>

> Thanks & have a great day
> Thomas

Hi Thomas,

For free 10 m resolution imagery - that could be suitable for mapping
mining activity -, you could have a look at Sentinel 2 satellite images
(also multispectral, with various lower resolutions):
http://sentinel-pds.s3-website.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/browser.html

Best wishes,

Jean-Guilhem

--
"Corruption is the abuse of entrusted power for private gain."
Transparency International

Re: Sierra Leone Imagery for non-profit?

Andy Jeffrey
Hi Thomas,

This isn’t an official HOT response, so others may be able to offer more specific advice, but my understanding is that any imagery obtained for HOT mapping activities is licensed solely for that purpose, especially the hi-res imagery as that is usually provided on request to assist with specific (post-disaster) humanitarian mapping scenarios.  If you want to use (hi-res) imagery for any other purpose, commercial or otherwise, that isn’t already freely available (e.g. Landsat or Sentinel), and you want it for free/very cheaply, you will probably need to speak directly to the imagery providers (e.g. DigitalGlobe or Airbus) and see what they can offer.  Most of the providers do have some kind of "non-profit” programmes which you could be eligible for, or depending on the nature of your project, you might want to consider teaming up with academic groups or other organisations and apply for research funding/grants to help support the project and the costs of acquiring suitable imagery.

If you are interested in this latter option, especially if there is a commercial element to it (i.e. monitoring/management for the local governments or companies involved in the mining activities) I could put you in touch with someone at the Satellite Applications Catapult (based in the UK), who could probably help you to explore what options are available.  Full disclosure, I used to work for them for a short time, and know this is the kind of thing they do, and that they are already involved in some other mining/environmental monitoring based projects.

Regards,
Andy

——————

Andy Jeffrey
Technology Consultant and Solution Developer
+44 (0)7876 564165
skype: andyjeffrey (London, UK)

On 22 Nov 2016, at 10:46, Thomas Kandler <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi folks,

sorry for the OT, but I have a question with seems suitable for the audience:

is it possible to aquire high-res imagery (meaning <=10m + maybe multispectral) for non-profit use in Sierra Leone in a cost-saving way?

The non-profit is aiming to map out the mining activity in the whole country to get a grip on the administration of those activities. Unfortunately they have little to no funds for software or data.

Just a shot in the dark from me, so ignore if too OT.

Thanks & have a great day
Thomas

Re: Sierra Leone Imagery for non-profit?

Robert Banick
Hi Thomas,

Try speaking to Mikel Maron at Mapbox (and HOT) ([hidden email]). Sometimes Mapbox can help out by procuring high resolution imagery for specific areas and adding it to the Mapbox Satellite layer accessible through JOSM.

If that doesn’t work I suggest you reach out to the U.S. State Department’s Mapgive: Imagery to the Crowd initiative (http://mapgive.state.gov/ittc/). Often they can secure existing imagery for you and/or procure custom imagery on request.

You’ll probably need to prepare a specific AOI for all these requests.

Good luck!
Robert

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 10:32 PM Jean-Guilhem Cailton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 22/11/2016 à 11:46, Thomas Kandler a écrit :
> Hi folks,
>
> sorry for the OT, but I have a question with seems suitable for the
> audience:
>
> is it possible to aquire high-res imagery (meaning <=10m + maybe
> multispectral) for non-profit use in Sierra Leone in a cost-saving way?
>
> The non-profit is aiming to map out the mining activity in the whole
> country to get a grip on the administration of those activities.
> Unfortunately they have little to no funds for software or data.
>

> Just a shot in the dark from me, so ignore if too OT.
>

> Thanks & have a great day
> Thomas

Hi Thomas,

For free 10 m resolution imagery - that could be suitable for mapping
mining activity -, you could have a look at Sentinel 2 satellite images
(also multispectral, with various lower resolutions):
http://sentinel-pds.s3-website.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/browser.html

Best wishes,

Jean-Guilhem

--
"Corruption is the abuse of entrusted power for private gain."
Transparency International
https://www.transparency.org/whatwedo/publication/preventing_corruption_in_humanitarian_operations

Re: Sierra Leone Imagery for non-profit?

Colleen Curran
Hi Thomas,

You might want to check out the DigitalGlobe Maps API - this offers (free) global high resolution coverage.  You add it as a plugin to QGIS and do the mapping from there.

Check out this link if you are interested, https://developer.digitalglobe.com/using-maps-api-with-qgis/

Best,
Colleen

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Robert Banick <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Thomas,

Try speaking to Mikel Maron at Mapbox (and HOT) ([hidden email]). Sometimes Mapbox can help out by procuring high resolution imagery for specific areas and adding it to the Mapbox Satellite layer accessible through JOSM.

If that doesn’t work I suggest you reach out to the U.S. State Department’s Mapgive: Imagery to the Crowd initiative (http://mapgive.state.gov/ittc/). Often they can secure existing imagery for you and/or procure custom imagery on request.

You’ll probably need to prepare a specific AOI for all these requests.

Good luck!
Robert

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 10:32 PM Jean-Guilhem Cailton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 22/11/2016 à 11:46, Thomas Kandler a écrit :
> Hi folks,
>
> sorry for the OT, but I have a question with seems suitable for the
> audience:
>
> is it possible to aquire high-res imagery (meaning <=10m + maybe
> multispectral) for non-profit use in Sierra Leone in a cost-saving way?
>
> The non-profit is aiming to map out the mining activity in the whole
> country to get a grip on the administration of those activities.
> Unfortunately they have little to no funds for software or data.
>

> Just a shot in the dark from me, so ignore if too OT.
>

> Thanks & have a great day
> Thomas

Hi Thomas,

For free 10 m resolution imagery - that could be suitable for mapping
mining activity -, you could have a look at Sentinel 2 satellite images
(also multispectral, with various lower resolutions):
http://sentinel-pds.s3-website.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/browser.html

Best wishes,

Jean-Guilhem

--
"Corruption is the abuse of entrusted power for private gain."
Transparency International
https://www.transparency.org/whatwedo/publication/preventing_corruption_in_humanitarian_operations

Re: Sierra Leone Imagery for non-profit?

Thomas Kandler-2
Hi everyone,

thank you very much for the input. I will take my time and do some
research on your ideas and suggestions. Greatly appreciated in any case.
:)

All the best
Thomas

Am 2016-11-25 05:37, schrieb Colleen Curran:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> You might want to check out the DigitalGlobe Maps API - this offers
> (free)
> global high resolution coverage.  You add it as a plugin to QGIS and do
> the
> mapping from there.
>
> Check out this link if you are interested,
> https://developer.digitalglobe.com/using-maps-api-with-qgis/
>
> Best,
> Colleen
>
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Robert Banick <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>> Try speaking to Mikel Maron at Mapbox (and HOT)
>> ([hidden email]).
>> Sometimes Mapbox can help out by procuring high resolution imagery for
>> specific areas and adding it to the Mapbox Satellite layer accessible
>> through JOSM.
>>
>> If that doesn’t work I suggest you reach out to the U.S. State
>> Department’s Mapgive: Imagery to the Crowd initiative (
>> http://mapgive.state.gov/ittc/). Often they can secure existing
>> imagery
>> for you and/or procure custom imagery on request.
>>
>> You’ll probably need to prepare a specific AOI for all these requests.
>>
>> Good luck!
>> Robert
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 10:32 PM Jean-Guilhem Cailton
>> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> Hi Thomas,
>>>
>>> For free 10 m resolution imagery - that could be suitable for mapping
>>> mining activity -, you could have a look at Sentinel 2 satellite
>>> images
>>> (also multispectral, with various lower resolutions):
>>> http://sentinel-pds.s3-website.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/browser.html
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>>
>>> Jean-Guilhem
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Corruption is the abuse of entrusted power for private gain."
>>> Transparency International
>>> https://www.transparency.org/whatwedo/publication/
>>> preventing_corruption_in_humanitarian_operations

Re: Sierra Leone Imagery for non-profit?

severin
Hi Thomas,

You did not describe what exactly you expect from the imagery to map the mining activities. 10 m resolution + multi-spectral does not sound like mapping structures as we do in OSM.
But if high resolution imagery, even if not very recent, is what you target, the Digital Globe Maps API is a good option, but you will need to purchase the first (quite cheap) plan to have the right to create derivative data from it. You can use it not only in QGIS, but also in JOSM.

Sincerely,

Severin