Size - Importance of features - (Was Drinking Map of UK)

Size - Importance of features - (Was Drinking Map of UK)

Graham Jones-2
Thanks Craig,
I think you are right - we can move the beer map discussion to the wiki.
There is just one point I wanted to raise, which is more generic.

My main remaining concern is the invention of the industry key.

The issue we have here is trying to distinguish between the relative sizes of features (in this case breweries), which we are proposing to do by having 'craft=' or 'industry=' tags depending on the size.

I have a similar issue with other features - for example 'shop=supermarket' can cover a huge range of things from a single shop unit sized one, to a huge hypermarket - when producing a map you may want to give preference to the large, more significant ones so that these always appear, and the smaller ones only appear at lower zoom level, when there is enough space on the image.
You get the same thing with historic features - you might want the big abbeys and castles to appear at low zoom levels and not be obscured by individual war memorials.

Therefore I wonder if another generic tag should be used to help with these things - for highways we use 'layer', but I think something else would be useful for other features a 'significance', 'size', or 'importance' value - probably a number like 'layer'.
This will inevitably be subjective, but the wiki page for the feature could have some guidance on how to define the value.

I wondered what anyone else thought of this, or if something similar is already used in some places that I have not found?

--
Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK.

Re: Size - Importance of features - (Was Drinking Map of UK)

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists)-2

I personally try very hard to eliminate subjective tagging and often there is a solution can be found that is not.

For example, retail units are normally distinguished (within the retail trade) by the area size. Easy enough to calculate approx. area from the OSM data so no real need to add anything extra.

Cheers

Andy

Re: Size - Importance of features - (Was Drinking Map of UK)

Richard Fairhurst
Graham Jones wrote:
> This will inevitably be subjective

So we don't do it. :)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Verifiability

"From a given scenario, a tag/value combination is verifiable if and only if independent users when observing the same feature would make the same observation every time."

Lots of ways you can class something like this without resorting to subjective tags. For example, production in litres per year (reasonably well documented for the cider industry, at least). You could 'band' it to reduce the amount of unnecessary detail.

cheers
Richard