Slashdot: "Best Setup for Mapping in Undeveloped Countries?"

Slashdot: "Best Setup for Mapping in Undeveloped Countries?"

Petter Reinholdtsen

This is on slashdot right now:
<URL:http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/07/14/1652250&threshold=5&tid=126&tid=152&tid=4>

  "Best Setup for Mapping in Undeveloped Countries?"

  Floodimus asks: "My girlfriend lives and works in West Africa and on
  my next visit she has asked me to help her do some mapping of
  uncharted villages. I want to make this study really accurate and
  useful, so I am thinking about using high tech and low tech
  resources such as GPS and good old fashioned compasses, but I was
  wondering what the Slashdot crowd would recommend for GPS hardware
  (does GPS equipment from the US work over there?), field equipment,
  mapping software etc. I use both PCs and Macs and would like the
  software to run on the Mac, but it doesn't have to. What's the best,
  most rugged stuff you've used? Where are some resources that would
  help me out?"

Perhaps we should contribute some clues?