Slippy Map update

ANDY ROBINSON-2
SteveC spent the day working on planet-postgresql and Mapnik from a fresh
start. More on that here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Slippy_Map

The end result is that there is now some basic rendering over parts of
Europe and specifically Germany. Currently only a few zoom levels are
available:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=48.09530109555827&lon=11.7885777
47272832&zoom=12

Note the wonderfully broken name for München. Clearly some Character
encoding issues to resolve.

Expect more to follow but it’s a slow process getting it all set up.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Robinson

Re: Slippy Map update

David Earl
Can I suggest again that this would be a great distributed application. I'm
sure many of us would be willing to have our computer idle time put to good
use with a program which grabs the next tile requiring rendering, downloads
the data, processes it and uploads the image. Obviously marks the tile as
"in progress at <time>" and is back in the queue if the agent that offerred
fails to render it after a certain time.

This would much more up to date rendering and to higher detail.

Ideally the renderer would be an easy to install package for widest takeup.
It could have a setting to say how long it is allowed to run for (e.g. 4
hours), and started at a certain time by cron on linux or windows scheduler
in windows, which is easiest, but better in Windows would be to hook it to
the screensaver and kill it when the screensaver is cancelled.

David

I think that’s a given. It's too early to tell though if it's even going to
be required. When the learning process for turning planet and planet updates
into rendered tiles via mapnik is complete everyone will be in a better
position to see what is needed to keep the map looking sweet. a mapnik@home
type approach may be one of them.

>sure many of us would be willing to have our computer idle time put to good
>use with a program which grabs the next tile requiring rendering, downloads
>the data, processes it and uploads the image. Obviously marks the tile as
>"in progress at <time>" and is back in the queue if the agent that offerred
>fails to render it after a certain time.
>
>This would much more up to date rendering and to higher detail.
>
>Ideally the renderer would be an easy to install package for widest takeup.
>It could have a setting to say how long it is allowed to run for (e.g. 4
>hours), and started at a certain time by cron on linux or windows scheduler
>in windows, which is easiest, but better in Windows would be to hook it to
>the screensaver and kill it when the screensaver is cancelled.
>
>David

Re: Slippy Map update

J.D. Schmidt
In that case, instead of reinventing the wheel, contact should be made
to the BOINC project, and a BOINC client developed for the distributed
rendering.

Dutch

2006/11/22, Andy Robinson <[hidden email]>:

> David Earl wrote:
> >Sent: 22 November 2006 6:52 PM
> >To: OSM
> >Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Slippy Map update
> >
> >Can I suggest again that this would be a great distributed application. I'm
>

> I think that's a given. It's too early to tell though if it's even going to
> be required. When the learning process for turning planet and planet updates
> into rendered tiles via mapnik is complete everyone will be in a better
> position to see what is needed to keep the map looking sweet. a mapnik@home
> type approach may be one of them.
>

> >sure many of us would be willing to have our computer idle time put to good
> >use with a program which grabs the next tile requiring rendering, downloads
> >the data, processes it and uploads the image. Obviously marks the tile as
> >"in progress at <time>" and is back in the queue if the agent that offerred
> >fails to render it after a certain time.
> >
> >This would much more up to date rendering and to higher detail.
> >
> >Ideally the renderer would be an easy to install package for widest takeup.
> >It could have a setting to say how long it is allowed to run for (e.g. 4
> >hours), and started at a certain time by cron on linux or windows scheduler
> >in windows, which is easiest, but better in Windows would be to hook it to
> >the screensaver and kill it when the screensaver is cancelled.
> >
> >David

Re: Slippy Map update

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Tettnang/Germany)
On Wednesday 22 November 2006 19:51, David Earl wrote:

> Can I suggest again that this would be a great distributed application. I'm
> sure many of us would be willing to have our computer idle time put to good
> use with a program which grabs the next tile requiring rendering, downloads
> the data, processes it and uploads the image. Obviously marks the tile as
> "in progress at <time>" and is back in the queue if the agent that offerred
> fails to render it after a certain time.
>
> This would much more up to date rendering and to higher detail.
>
> Ideally the renderer would be an easy to install package for widest takeup.

Well, you can help make the renderer as easy to install as you described.
We are currently trying to install the renderer (by hand ) on some machines.
Steve was one of the first successful ones on dev.osm.com. Ralf_Z, me, and
others are trying to do so too. So you can join us to try to install the
renderer on your machine. And give feedback on @dev where the problems are to
install this on other machines. The description on how to do it can be found
at:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Slippy_Map#Getting_planet.osm_in_to_the_db
If this test was successful, we (you, me, and others, ) can start to make the
installation more compact and easier. This would involve to write small
scripts which will do the job we're just doing by hand.
And if this is done we can try to setup in parallel a mechanism which is
distributing the "to-be-rendered" tiles to the volunteers.

-

Joerg

Re: Slippy Map update

David Earl

I looked and gulped.

It's all linux AFAICS. I'm on Windows. I don't have anything like the set up
I'd need to even take the first step I'm afraid. I've got the computing
knowledge to do it, but not the right system. Is it remotely possible that
this would work under cygwin? Does that provide all the dependencies
including the compiler?

(By "easy to install" I mean self-extracting zip or installShield or some
such on Windows, by the way).

David

80n

Re: Slippy Map update

80n
Can anyone make a VM that can just be run with VMware player?

On 11/22/06, David Earl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Artem Pavlenko
David,

Mapnik (the renderer) + tile rendering scripts, db  compiles and runs on
win32. The problem is that there is no one to maintain win32 binaries,
docs etc. You can help by getting involved.

BTW, I like the distributed rendering approach, too.

cheers
Artem

David Earl wrote:

> [...]

Re: Slippy Map update

Stephan Schildberg
A big thank you deserves to SteveC and anybody helping him generating
some zoom levels for Germany.

We were very surprised to hit the new map during our first openstreetmap
meeting in Hamburg.
Speaking for me it appeared as a success that more than 10 people
followed our call.
Fortunately they are not all from Hamburg, they also came from the
country and cities around the metropolis. Most of them already possess
an GPS receiver or just about to invest in one to get their region onto
the screen. We are looking ahead to get the 755 km2 done in next Summer,
we are just on the start.

Now we are looking happily ahead of more conflicts and collisions of
tracks with our new members while being at OSM in Hamburg and around!

regards, Stephan.

--

Diese E-Mail wurde über einen mit regenerativen Energien betriebenen
Mailserver versandt.

Re: Slippy Map update

Petter Reinholdtsen

[Andy Robinson]
> Note the wonderfully broken name for München. Clearly some Character
> encoding issues to resolve.

Yes.  That is a UTF-8 byte stream rendered as ISO-8859-1.

I get the same output when doing 'echo München | iconv -f latin1 -t utf-8':
'München'.

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen

Re: Slippy Map update

Steve Coast
> Can I suggest again that this would be a great distributed application. I'm

Yes and no.

It's not actually that slow to render maps. The reason it's taken a
couple of weeks is because only artem really knew how to run mapnik and
get planet in a db and all the other bits to make it fly. This is now
documented and several of us know how to do it. So, today it's rendering
Germany. Tomorrow we can have three machines doing three countries. The
time to render the planet might be a week or two if someone was
dedicated to it.

Keeping the data current will require far, far less effort as you're only
going to be rendering some small percentage per day.

People helping with the initial set of tiles is very useful, but it's
already getting fragmented with two sets of bits of Germany and so on.
Integrating these isn't actually that simple if you have a rendering in
progress and people (already) rendering different datasets which
overlap. Could I ask for a little restraint as I can see managing
peoples contributed tiles is going to be a pain in itself?

Mapnik needs some work to minimise the amount of data it spits out.
There are a lot of blank land/sea tiles that should be symlinks to just
one. Odds and ends like that.

Coming back to the distributed rendering, this ad-hoc people-heavy route
will do initially I think. I'm unconvinced on shipping entire planets
and disk images around is going to be worthwhile once the tiles are
being rendered daily on just the things that have changed.

To organise things (unless you don't want your tiles on the main site),
if you're rendering tiles can you state what areas you're doing on this
wiki page

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Render_me

(apologies if this has already been pointed to)

and also provide a link to a tarball of your tiles so that they can be
integrated?

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/

Re: Slippy Map update

Steve Coast
* @ 23/11/06 12:07:25 AM [hidden email] wrote:
> To organise things (unless you don't want your tiles on the main site),
> if you're rendering tiles can you state what areas you're doing on this
> wiki page

Having given this five minutes thought, would anyone like to be the
chief renderer, have access to machines and integrate the tiles that are
being produced? I'd prefer to concentrate on the server code now I've
got the docs and framework for the tiles up.

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/

Re: Slippy Map update

Jon Burgess-2
On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 00:07 +0000, SteveC wrote:

> Mapnik needs some work to minimise the amount of data it spits out.
> There are a lot of blank land/sea tiles that should be symlinks to just
> one. Odds and ends like that.

I noticed that too and was going to have a go at fixing that. No need to
run convert multiple times on all those identical tiles too.

> To organise things (unless you don't want your tiles on the main site),
> if you're rendering tiles can you state what areas you're doing on this
> wiki page

I was more interested in getting the whole render process together on
myrunning localhost. local machine so that I could experiment with
tidying some bits of the process, e.g. the blank tile handling above or
seeing if the renderingrunning localhost. process can be made even
faster.

Plus it is great to be able to have a nice big fast rendered map running
locally with no lag.

        Jon

Re: Slippy Map update

Raphaël Jacquot
SteveC wrote:

> People helping with the initial set of tiles is very useful, but it's
> already getting fragmented with two sets of bits of Germany and so on.
> Integrating these isn't actually that simple if you have a rendering in
> progress and people (already) rendering different datasets which
> overlap. Could I ask for a little restraint as I can see managing
> peoples contributed tiles is going to be a pain in itself?

if we all use the same program, using RSYNC to copy the directories over
a particular location (ssh can be used) will allow for updating just the
right bits).

Re: Slippy Map update

Steve Coast
* @ 23/11/06 06:31:21 AM [hidden email] wrote:

> SteveC wrote:
>
> >People helping with the initial set of tiles is very useful, but it's
> >already getting fragmented with two sets of bits of Germany and so on.
> >Integrating these isn't actually that simple if you have a rendering in
> >progress and people (already) rendering different datasets which
> >overlap. Could I ask for a little restraint as I can see managing
> >peoples contributed tiles is going to be a pain in itself?
>
> if we all use the same program, using RSYNC to copy the directories over
> a particular location (ssh can be used) will allow for updating just the
> right bits).

If rendering wern't in progress (and thus overwrite tiles) and the same
datasets were being used and the same versions of mapnik then I would
agree with you :-)

* @ 23/11/06 12:43:36 AM [hidden email] wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 00:07 +0000, SteveC wrote:
>
> > Mapnik needs some work to minimise the amount of data it spits out.
> > There are a lot of blank land/sea tiles that should be symlinks to just
> > one. Odds and ends like that.
> >

> I noticed that too and was going to have a go at fixing that. No need to
> run convert multiple times on all those identical tiles too.

Brilliant, please do :-)

> Plus it is great to be able to have a nice big fast rendered map running
> locally with no lag.

Once you have it in the db you can use the mapnik interactive app to
browse :-)

I think.

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/

Re: Slippy Map update

Nick Whitelegg-2
Hello Steve,

* @ 23/11/06 10:10:25 AM [hidden email] wrote:
>> Another point regarding rendering... how are updates to the mapnik.xml
>> (was that its name?) style file going to be integrated with the
rendering
>> process? I added some extra stuff for unsurfaced tracks, cycleways,
woods
>> and hills the other day.

>Yes, sorry, it's diverted a little from svn. If I add the current xml to
>svn would you mind merging them favouring the scales etc in the one I'm
>about to add as artem tweaked a lot of stuff.

OK fine will do, it'll probably be either this evening or tomorrow now.

There is one possible issue. Some of the stuff I added was for
natural=wood and natural=heath. From my (limited) understanding of the
format, though, I think we may need to create another PostGIS table if we
want to show areas with the 'natural' tag, because in one of the Python
scripts there seems to be some SQL to create tables for 'landuse',
'amenity' and various other things, which are supported by the current XML
file. Am I correct?

Nick

Re: Slippy Map update

Steve Coast

> Hello Steve,
>
> * @ 23/11/06 10:10:25 AM [hidden email] wrote:
> >> Another point regarding rendering... how are updates to the mapnik.xml
> >> (was that its name?) style file going to be integrated with the
> rendering
> >> process? I added some extra stuff for unsurfaced tracks, cycleways,
> woods
> >> and hills the other day.
>
> >Yes, sorry, it's diverted a little from svn. If I add the current xml to
> >svn would you mind merging them favouring the scales etc in the one I'm
> >about to add as artem tweaked a lot of stuff.
>
> OK fine will do, it'll probably be either this evening or tomorrow now.
>
> There is one possible issue. Some of the stuff I added was for
> natural=wood and natural=heath. From my (limited) understanding of the
> format, though, I think we may need to create another PostGIS table if we
> want to show areas with the 'natural' tag, because in one of the Python
> scripts there seems to be some SQL to create tables for 'landuse',
> 'amenity' and various other things, which are supported by the current XML
> file. Am I correct?

yes, it just needs a natural entry in osm2pgsql.c at the top like the
others

> Nick

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/

Re: Slippy Map update

ANDY ROBINSON-2

This would get water body's rendered too, i.e. those set as natural=water

Cheers

Andy

>> Nick
>>

>have fun,
>
>SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/

postgis plugin patch

Raphaël Jacquot
here's a patch that will complain if one of the request fails for any
reason :

Index: plugins/input/postgis/connection.hpp
--- plugins/input/postgis/connection.hpp (revision 378)
+++ plugins/input/postgis/connection.hpp (working copy)
@@ -64,6 +64,10 @@
     {
         PGresult *result=PQexec(conn_,sql.c_str());
         bool ok=(result && PQresultStatus(result)==PGRES_COMMAND_OK);
+ if (!ok) {
+     std::clog << sql.c_str() << std::endl;
+ std::clog << PQresultErrorMessage(result) << std::endl;
+ }
         PQclear(result);
         return ok;
     }
@@ -71,11 +75,19 @@
     {
         PGresult *result=0;
         if (type==1)
-        {
+        {
             result=PQexecParams(conn_,sql.c_str(),0,0,0,0,0,1);
+    if (PQresultStatus(result)!=PGRES_TUPLES_OK) {
+     std::clog << sql.c_str() << std::endl;
+ std::clog << PQresultErrorMessage(result) << std::endl;
+    }
             return boost::shared_ptr<ResultSet>(new ResultSet(result));
         }
         result=PQexec(conn_,sql.c_str());
+ if (PQresultStatus(result)!=PGRES_TUPLES_OK) {
+ std::clog << sql.c_str() << std::endl;
+ std::clog << PQresultErrorMessage(result) << std::endl;
+ }
         return boost::shared_ptr<ResultSet>(new ResultSet(result));
     }
     bool isOK() const