Slipways (for boats)

Andy Mabbett
The wiki tells us to use "leisure=slipway":

   https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dslipway

but many slipways are primarily for search-and-rescue, fishing craft,
small ferries or other non-leisure uses.

What would be a better tag?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: Slipways (for boats)

Paul Allen
On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 5:59 PM Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
The wiki tells us to use "leisure=slipway":

   https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dslipway

but many slipways are primarily for search-and-rescue, fishing craft,
small ferries or other non-leisure uses.

What would be a better tag?

I hesitate to suggest it, because it's viewed as a "miscellaneous" tag, but in this case it seems
rather appropriate.  amenity=slipway.

Of course, it may take a while (possibly a very long while) before renderers catch up, so
people will continue to use leisure, so the renderer people will say it's not used enough, as
will the editor people, so you may decide to stick with leisure.

--
Paul

Re: Slipways (for boats)

Warin
On 10/11/18 05:03, Paul Allen wrote:
On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 5:59 PM Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
The wiki tells us to use "leisure=slipway":

   https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dslipway

but many slipways are primarily for search-and-rescue, fishing craft,
small ferries or other non-leisure uses.

What would be a better tag?

I hesitate to suggest it, because it's viewed as a "miscellaneous" tag, but in this case it seems
rather appropriate.  amenity=slipway.

Of course, it may take a while (possibly a very long while) before renderers catch up, so
people will continue to use leisure, so the renderer people will say it's not used enough, as
will the editor people, so you may decide to stick with leisure.

Unfortunately leisure=slipway is the one 'inuse'. Changing it will take effort and time.

I would suggest man_made=slipway .. they all have had some efforts by humans to make them.
I'd stay away from amenity as much as possible.

Re: Slipways (for boats)

Mateusz Konieczny-3

9. Nov 2018 18:58 by [hidden email]:

The wiki tells us to use "leisure=slipway":

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dslipway

but many slipways are primarily for search-and-rescue, fishing craft,
small ferries or other non-leisure uses.

What would be a better tag?

 leisure=splipway is perfectly fine

in perfect world it would be man_made=slipway,

but given effort to migrate tags it is better to start with ones fundamentally broken

Re: Slipways (for boats)

Andrew Harvey-3
On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 at 20:58, Mateusz Konieczny <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  leisure=splipway is perfectly fine

+1, I'm in favour of leaving things as they are.

What's the point in changing it now given it's already extensively
used for non-leisure purposes? The leisure key is just an historical
artefact now, and it shouldn't be taken literally as only for leisure
purposes.

You can use the access tag to note if it's a slipway that the public
can use or if it's only for private use. To mark the type of craft I
use tags like: canoe=designated.