So, er, what now?

Jonathan McDowell
So. I've linked Norwich to London:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/view-map.html?lat=52.20&lon=1.0&scale=0.0035

and now I find myself wondering "What now?". Are there any apps out
there that can make use of the OSM data? Is anyone working on linking
GPSDrive or RoadMap to it? Is it possible to get a dump of the whole of
the UK, to use with an in car PC for example?

I've been trying to convince various people I know to get involved with
OSM (including one who works with GPS tracking of trucks), but I'm not
quite sure what I can show them as benefits other than the maps on the
website?

J.

--
A bug in the hand is better than one as yet undetected.

Re: So, er, what now?

Steve Coast
> So. I've linked Norwich to London:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/view-map.html?lat=52.20&lon=1.0&scale=0.0035
>
> and now I find myself wondering "What now?". Are there any apps out
> there that can make use of the OSM data? Is anyone working on linking
> GPSDrive or RoadMap to it? Is it possible to get a dump of the whole of
> the UK, to use with an in car PC for example?

Dump of the whole UK should be grabable via the REST interface, add a
bug and I'll do one especially.

GPSDrive: there was a (german, I think) gpsdrive developer who got in
contact but did't have much time. I can dig that out if you want. My
advoice would be to just start hacking it and announce it on the
gpsdrive list.

What next? In the image you link to you see a track across the north
sea. Delete it, and the two or four spurious large lines? Delete the
track down the thames that shouldn't be there?

And, of course, map more areas :-) Close bugs, work on the slippy
javascript draggable interface?

> I've been trying to convince various people I know to get involved with
> OSM (including one who works with GPS tracking of trucks), but I'm not
> quite sure what I can show them as benefits other than the maps on the
> website?

Show them a copy of the poster we have for sale, and say they could get
a ton of publicity if they give us the data?

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/

Re: So, er, what now?

Tom Carden

On 10/20/05, SteveC <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been trying to convince various people I know to get involved with
> OSM (including one who works with GPS tracking of trucks), but I'm not
> quite sure what I can show them as benefits other than the maps on the
> website?

Get in touch with me and/or Steve off list if you want to meet up and talk about this more.  It sounds worth pursuing and it would be ideal to have a few more large contributors alongside Petter's taxi data and our courier contacts.  We have personally signed NDAs before which allow us to talk with people about their data without them worrying about us running off with it (and showing their competitors their weak points, for example).  The same might help here?

Show them a copy of the poster we have for sale, and say they could get
a ton of publicity if they give us the data?

This is the big one I think - GPS-derived maps are a different breed, and there's a bunch of analysis we can do as well as "just" tracing maps.  Things like the map print we did serve to illustrate how rich the aggregate data can be and get people to be more enthusiastic about contributing.

Tom.

Re: So, er, what now?

Nick Whitelegg-2
Hello Steve,

How are things with keys/values and/or the XML schema BTW?
I would start working on this but things are a bit tight timewise for me
ATM and there are some osm-editor and freemap things I want to do....

Nick