Solar panels on Stucco building

Mat Attlee
In adding the Stucco building (https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/892621508) in Newtown, NSW I noticed it has lots of solar panels on its roof and the Wikipedia page goes into quite a bit of detail about the panels https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stucco_Co-operative

I'd add them myself though I am not so experienced with adding panels

Re: Solar panels on Stucco building

Andrew Harvey-3

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 at 22:43, Mat Attlee <[hidden email]> wrote:
In adding the Stucco building (https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/892621508) in Newtown, NSW I noticed it has lots of solar panels on its roof and the Wikipedia page goes into quite a bit of detail about the panels https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stucco_Co-operative

I'd add them myself though I am not so experienced with adding panels

Check out https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:generator:type%3Dsolar_photovoltaic_panel and also worth having a look at how some other solar panels have been mapped for example like https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/760634488. I believe many rooftop PV has been mapped around the Sydney Northern Beaches by a mapper.

Re: Solar panels on Stucco building

Warin
On 7/1/21 6:51 am, Andrew Harvey wrote:

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 at 22:43, Mat Attlee <[hidden email]> wrote:
In adding the Stucco building (https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/892621508) in Newtown, NSW I noticed it has lots of solar panels on its roof and the Wikipedia page goes into quite a bit of detail about the panels https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stucco_Co-operative

I'd add them myself though I am not so experienced with adding panels

Check out https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:generator:type%3Dsolar_photovoltaic_panel and also worth having a look at how some other solar panels have been mapped for example like https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/760634488. I believe many rooftop PV has been mapped around the Sydney Northern Beaches by a mapper.

You gain 'experience' by doing. Making mistakes is part of learning, do not be afraid of making errors. Do check your work on the map a week or so later and see if it 'works'.

Re: Solar panels on Stucco building

Marc Gemis
Some additional sources:

- The project of the British OSM community: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/UK_2019_Q3_Project:_Solar_Power and a YouTube video about that project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYFBM0Dpdvw&t=1269s
- My Preset for Mapping in Belgium has a preset for solar panels on a roof: https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Presets/BENELUX

Happy Mapping

m.

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 12:43 PM Mat Attlee <[hidden email]> wrote:
In adding the Stucco building (https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/892621508) in Newtown, NSW I noticed it has lots of solar panels on its roof and the Wikipedia page goes into quite a bit of detail about the panels https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stucco_Co-operative

I'd add them myself though I am not so experienced with adding panels

Re: Solar panels on Stucco building

Sebastian Spiess
Hello,
Yes Andrew is correct, I have added rooftop solar to buildings in the northern Beaches area.

I have documented my approach here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:ConsEbt/NorthernBeachesSolar

I can only encourage you to have a go!

On 7 January 2021 9:30:33 am AEDT, Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Australia mailing list
I changed it to a multipolygon, in this case (multiple separate areas,
no node/unclosed ways as members) site relation was
a completely not needed extra complexity

multipolygons should be used where possible rather than site relations
as editing, processing them and supporting them is much easier

Jan 11, 2021, 19:19 by [hidden email]: