Solar panels quarterly project progress

Dan S
Hi all,

The current quarterly project is: solar panels. The good news: we've hit 25,000!
(From a baseline of fewer than 5,000 at the start of the year.)
https://twitter.com/mclduk/status/1156274870625472513

Great work folks. It'd be great to find a way to get other people to
help spot solar panels in their own neck of the woods. But we're on
our way!

Dan

Re: Solar panels quarterly project progress

Gregory Williams-2
Last night I updated my solar mapping comparison tool to include coverage of Scotland. Unfortunately it had only covered England and Wales up until now because my comparison with the FiT register data was performed at the LSOA level. For Scotland, the comparison is being performed just at the local authority level. The tool is here:

Some other recent additions that I've made to the tool are:
  • A "Last updated" column -- showing the date of the last addition / change to a solar panel object here;
  • A "FiT" layer, showing the relative number of PV installations that the FiT register has for this area, regardless of whether we've mapped them yet in OSM. I.e. a way to seek out where installations are situated, such that a survey can be planned;
  • An "OSM objects" layer, that shows the location of each OSM-mapped PV installation, to help keep track of progress in systematically surveying for PV installations.

I'm hoping to find time to add further functionality over the coming weeks.

Gregory

Sent from Mailspring, the best free email app for work
On Jul 30 2019, at 9:05 pm, Dan S <danstowell+[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

The current quarterly project is: solar panels. The good news: we've hit 25,000!
(From a baseline of fewer than 5,000 at the start of the year.)
https://twitter.com/mclduk/status/1156274870625472513

Great work folks. It'd be great to find a way to get other people to
help spot solar panels in their own neck of the woods. But we're on
our way!

Dan

Re: Solar panels quarterly project progress

Dan S

The solar mapping is phenomenal. Since I last emailed, the number of
objects in the UK region has *doubled* to 50,000!

I've run some stats to analyse the data:
http://openclimatefix.discourse.group/t/osm-uk-solar-panel-progress-so-far/186
(The second post in that thread is the one with this week's fresh data.)

Thanks everyone for contributing! 45 different people have contributed
to this since the 1st of July.

(The project page:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/UK_2019_Q3_Project:_Solar_Power )

Cheers