Solar shop

AlaskaDave
I came across a shop in my town today that sells solar power generating
equipment for home and larger scale projects, .e.g, street lighting for
municipalities. There is no tagging that I can locate other than that used
for tagging power generating facilities that use solar energy.

I am considering shop=solar
or
shop=solar_equipment
or
shop=solar_devices

Suggestions, ideas?

Cheers

Dave

--
Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska

Solar shop

Safwat Halaby
The word "solar" alone is a synonym for "Diesel Fuel" in some countries
and can cause confusion. I'd advise using solar_equipment or
solar_devices instead.

Solar shop

SimonPoole
I believe the correct expression is photovoltaic (which would exclude
hot water generation etc though).

Am 31.07.2017 um 09:07 schrieb SwiftFast:
> The word "solar" alone is a synonym for "Diesel Fuel" in some countries
> and can cause confusion. I'd advise using solar_equipment or
> solar_devices instead.

Solar shop

AlaskaDave
The term photovoltaic refers to the mechanism used by certain solar devices
to generate electricity. In this case, it describes a device that is using
sunlight to create electricity, i.e., a photovoltaic panel. I'm asking
about a shop that sells photovoltaic panels along with related alternative
energy devices such as wind turbines, power controllers, battery packs,
solar hot-water heaters, etc. Using shop=photovoltaic would be too limited
in scope for this purpose.

I would never have guessed that the word "solar" means diesel fuel. I am
leaning toward shop=solar_equipment

Thanks for the input.

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 7:02 AM, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:

> I believe the correct expression is photovoltaic (which would exclude
> hot water generation etc though).
>

> Am 31.07.2017 um 09:07 schrieb SwiftFast:
> > The word "solar" alone is a synonym for "Diesel Fuel" in some countries
> > and can cause confusion. I'd advise using solar_equipment or
> > solar_devices instead.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Solar shop

Safwat Halaby
I'm no expert but it appears the expression "photovoltaic" may exclude a
bit too much. There are solar power generation technologies which are
not based on photovoltaic cells. See this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar-powered_Stirling_engine

However, for home or small scale use, I suspect photovoltaic is all
there is.

On Mon, 2017-07-31 at 17:02 +0200, Simon Poole wrote:

> I believe the correct expression is photovoltaic (which would exclude
> hot water generation etc though).
>

> Am 31.07.2017 um 09:07 schrieb SwiftFast:
> > The word "solar" alone is a synonym for "Diesel Fuel" in some countries
> > and can cause confusion. I'd advise using solar_equipment or
> > solar_devices instead.

Solar shop

Safwat Halaby
If we're talking about renewable energy in general, then even
solar_equipment is too limiting. Wind turbines are not solar equipment.

Maybe shop=renewable_energy_equipment ?

On Mon, 2017-07-31 at 07:19 -0800, Dave Swarthout wrote:

> The term photovoltaic refers to the mechanism used by certain solar devices
> to generate electricity. In this case, it describes a device that is using
> sunlight to create electricity, i.e., a photovoltaic panel. I'm asking
> about a shop that sells photovoltaic panels along with related alternative
> energy devices such as wind turbines, power controllers, battery packs,
> solar hot-water heaters, etc. Using shop=photovoltaic would be too limited
> in scope for this purpose.
>
> I would never have guessed that the word "solar" means diesel fuel. I am
> leaning toward shop=solar_equipment
>
> Thanks for the input.
>
> On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 7:02 AM, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:
>
> > I believe the correct expression is photovoltaic (which would exclude
> > hot water generation etc though).
> >

> > Am 31.07.2017 um 09:07 schrieb SwiftFast:
> > > The word "solar" alone is a synonym for "Diesel Fuel" in some countries
> > > and can cause confusion. I'd advise using solar_equipment or
> > > solar_devices instead.

Solar shop

AlaskaDave
"even solar_equipment is too limiting."

Quite right, SwiftFast. The value you suggest tells the story better.

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 8:37 AM, SwiftFast <swiftfast at gmx.com> wrote:

> If we're talking about renewable energy in general, then even
> solar_equipment is too limiting. Wind turbines are not solar equipment.
>
> Maybe shop=renewable_energy_equipment ?
>
> On Mon, 2017-07-31 at 07:19 -0800, Dave Swarthout wrote:
> > The term photovoltaic refers to the mechanism used by certain solar
> devices
> > to generate electricity. In this case, it describes a device that is
> using
> > sunlight to create electricity, i.e., a photovoltaic panel. I'm asking
> > about a shop that sells photovoltaic panels along with related
> alternative
> > energy devices such as wind turbines, power controllers, battery packs,
> > solar hot-water heaters, etc. Using shop=photovoltaic would be too
> limited
> > in scope for this purpose.
> >
> > I would never have guessed that the word "solar" means diesel fuel. I am
> > leaning toward shop=solar_equipment
> >
> > Thanks for the input.
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 7:02 AM, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:
> >
> > > I believe the correct expression is photovoltaic (which would exclude
> > > hot water generation etc though).

> countries

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Solar shop

tomoya muramoto
We have already 'generator:source' tag.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:power%3Dgenerator

So how about to use 'shop=generator' ?
'shop=generator' + 'generator:source=solar' means solar power generator
seller. And we can specify a wind turbine seller also.
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Solar shop

AlaskaDave
@tomoya: I think there would be numerous valid objections to using the
generator:source tag that way. IMO it is clearly designed to describe a
power generating facility. The shop is not generating electricity; it is
selling solar equipment that might be used in a generating facility but it
does not produce power on its own.