Someone from Boston, MA?

Wolfgang Zenker
Hi,

I tried to add the German Consulate General in Boston, MA, but could not
find the address "Three Copley Place, Boston, MA 02116" in
our data. That place is apparently somewhere near Boston University.
Anyone local who could check if this is a missing street name in our
data?

consulate website: https://www.germany.info/us-en/embassy-consulates/boston

Greetings,
Wolfgang
( lyx @ osm )

Re: Someone from Boston, MA?

Kevin Kenny-3
On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 10:40 PM Wolfgang Zenker
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I tried to add the German Consulate General in Boston, MA, but could not
> find the address "Three Copley Place, Boston, MA 02116" in
> our data. That place is apparently somewhere near Boston University.
> Anyone local who could check if this is a missing street name in our
> data?
>
> consulate website: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/240501783

I'm not a Bostonian, but I've been to Copley Place.
Copley Place is a named building: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/240501783

Re: Someone from Boston, MA?

Kevin Kenny-3
On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 11:01 PM Kevin Kenny <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm not a Bostonian, but I've been to Copley Place.
> Copley Place is a named building: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/240501783

more information https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copley_Place - the
building complex, in addition to the shopping mall, has office
buildings (tenants include the German and Canadian consulates, on the
fourth and fifth floors respectively of tower 3), hotels and a parking
garage, all connected.

There's a detailed plan of the first few levels at
https://www.simon.com/mall/copley-place/map#/ - the menu at upper
right will let you select the levels, and the entrances to the towers
are on 'Sky Level'.

I'm not familiar enough with indoor mapping to be able to direct you
how to map a suite within the towers.

Re: Someone from Boston, MA?

Bill Ricker
On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 11:12 PM Kevin Kenny <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 11:01 PM Kevin Kenny <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm not a Bostonian, but I've been to Copley Place.
> > Copley Place is a named building: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/240501783

This local Bostonian concurs.

This is one of those skyscrapers with a vanity "street" address with
no such street.
(To confuse matters further, there is also a Copley Place Hotel whose
address is NOT Copley Place!)

> more information https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copley_Place - the
> building complex, in addition to the shopping mall, has office
> buildings (tenants include the German and Canadian consulates, on the
> fourth and fifth floors respectively of tower 3), hotels and a parking
> garage, all connected.

(and all-weather connections to adjacent malls and hotels too, and to
two T (metro) lines and Amtrak rail.)
(used to have a Cinema, but iirc it got consolidated out of existence?)

> I'm not familiar enough with indoor mapping to be able to direct you
> how to map a suite within the towers.

A Consulate might prefer we not map the interior access?
That level of detail is fine for retail but ... government entities
can attract untoward attention.

--
Bill Ricker
[hidden email]

Re: Someone from Boston, MA?

Wolfgang Zenker
Thanks, this was quite helpful.

* Bill Ricker <[hidden email]> [190430 05:47]:
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 11:12 PM Kevin Kenny <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 11:01 PM Kevin Kenny <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm not a Bostonian, but I've been to Copley Place.
>>> Copley Place is a named building: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/240501783

> This local Bostonian concurs.

> This is one of those skyscrapers with a vanity "street" address with
> no such street.
> (To confuse matters further, there is also a Copley Place Hotel whose
> address is NOT Copley Place!)

Apparently there are even two such hotels.

>> more information https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copley_Place - the
>> building complex, in addition to the shopping mall, has office
>> buildings (tenants include the German and Canadian consulates, on the
>> fourth and fifth floors respectively of tower 3), hotels and a parking
>> garage, all connected.

> (and all-weather connections to adjacent malls and hotels too, and to
> two T (metro) lines and Amtrak rail.)
> (used to have a Cinema, but iirc it got consolidated out of existence?)

>> I'm not familiar enough with indoor mapping to be able to direct you
>> how to map a suite within the towers.

> A Consulate might prefer we not map the interior access?
> That level of detail is fine for retail but ... government entities
> can attract untoward attention.

I have no clue of indoor mapping myself, so I just placed two nodes in
what I estimated to be the rough location of tower 3 and tagged them as
the Canadian and German consulates.

Greetings,
Wolfgang
( lyx @ osm )

Re: Someone from Boston, MA? (off topic - Boston hotel name / address trivia)

Bill Ricker

>> This is one of those skyscrapers with a vanity "street" address with
>> no such street.
>> (To confuse matters further, there is also a Copley Place Hotel whose
>> address is NOT Copley Place!)

> Apparently there are even two such hotels.
I should clarify slightly, not that it really matters.

"Copley Place" is an invented name for the new mall/office/hotel development over the Turnpike air-rights, punning on / borrowing from an old place name, "Copley Square", which is nearby and is associated with class.  Two of the four sides of Copley Square are the Boston Public Library formal entrance and Trinity Church.

The "Westin Copley Place" was part of the Copley Place mall/office development, is connected by air-bridge, to same, but uses a real street address (10 Huntington Ave). The "Marriott Copley Place" is actually in the Copley Place towers (not sure if it's tower 1 or 2?) but uses 110 Huntington Ave as its business address, go figure.

Nearby, the former "Copley Plaza Hotel", now  "Fairmont Copley Plaza" is actually on Copley Square, while the "Copley Square Hotel" confusingly is not, it's up a side street, 47 Huntington  (with side entrance on Exeter St connecting to Copley Square's plaza; 2nd oldest in Boston).