Sorting the zip codes

Steve Ratcliffe
Hi

There was a bit of discussion about postal codes last month and I
don't know if we can make them work in all cases, but a first step is
to sort them in the img tiles. They certainly should be sorted like
everything else, so I am committing a fix to do that.

My OSM UK maps don't have many postcodes in them, so if someone who
is interested in working zip codes please test in a suitable area.
In the few cases where I tested in MapSource it correctly filtered
by post code.

..Steve

Re: Sorting the zip codes

Martin-2
Am 2012-02-20 14:36, schrieb Steve Ratcliffe:

> Hi
>
> There was a bit of discussion about postal codes last month and I
> don't know if we can make them work in all cases, but a first step is
> to sort them in the img tiles. They certainly should be sorted like
> everything else, so I am committing a fix to do that.
>
> My OSM UK maps don't have many postcodes in them, so if someone who
> is interested in working zip codes please test in a suitable area.
> In the few cases where I tested in MapSource it correctly filtered
> by post code.
>
> ..Steve

Great Steve!
I will test it, when I am back at home ;)

Re: Sorting the zip codes

railrun
Hello Steve,

I've done some tests. Something goes wrong with the index. Now the streets have a wrong zip-code.
Correct(r2210): Zwickauer Str, 01187 Dresden
With r2215: Zwickauer Str, 01307 Dresden (Wrong!)

But anyway, no zip-search is possible with my Nuvi. As I wrote you earlier CityNavigator-maps have a other format (e.g. the offset of the FAT is 0x1200, not 0x600).

//Cheers, Martin

Am 20.02.2012 um 14:36 schrieb Steve Ratcliffe:

Hi

There was a bit of discussion about postal codes last month and I
don't know if we can make them work in all cases, but a first step is
to sort them in the img tiles. They certainly should be sorted like
everything else, so I am committing a fix to do that.

My OSM UK maps don't have many postcodes in them, so if someone who
is interested in working zip codes please test in a suitable area.
In the few cases where I tested in MapSource it correctly filtered
by post code.

..Steve

Re: Sorting the zip codes

Thorsten Kukuk
On Mon, Feb 20, Martin wrote:

> Hello Steve,
>
> I've done some tests. Something goes wrong with the index. Now the streets have a wrong zip-code.
> Correct(r2210): Zwickauer Str, 01187 Dresden
> http://snailrun.de/2210.zip
> With r2215: Zwickauer Str, 01307 Dresden (Wrong!)
> http://snailrun.de/2215.zip

For Nuernberg, all streets have the wrong postal code.
They have all the same inside of a zip area, but it's the wrong
one for that area. Looks like a off-by-one, the correct zip code
is always used in one of the neightbour areas.

  Thorsten

> Am 20.02.2012 um 14:36 schrieb Steve Ratcliffe:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > There was a bit of discussion about postal codes last month and I
> > don't know if we can make them work in all cases, but a first step is
> > to sort them in the img tiles. They certainly should be sorted like
> > everything else, so I am committing a fix to do that.
> >
> > My OSM UK maps don't have many postcodes in them, so if someone who
> > is interested in working zip codes please test in a suitable area.
> > In the few cases where I tested in MapSource it correctly filtered
> > by post code.
> >
> > ..Steve

Re: Sorting the zip codes

Steve Ratcliffe
On 20/02/12 18:54, Martin wrote:
> Hello Steve,
>
> I've done some tests. Something goes wrong with the index. Now the
> streets have a wrong zip-code.

Ahhh yes! Sorry about that. It was using the index into the unsorted zip
codes, not the index after sorting. We've had that bug before...

I'm applying a fix now.

..Steve

Re: Sorting the zip codes

railrun
Thanks!
Now it works correct (for me).

Am 20.02.2012 um 20:25 schrieb Steve Ratcliffe:

> On 20/02/12 18:54, Martin wrote:
>> Hello Steve,
>>
>> I've done some tests. Something goes wrong with the index. Now the
>> streets have a wrong zip-code.
>
> Ahhh yes! Sorry about that. It was using the index into the unsorted zip
> codes, not the index after sorting. We've had that bug before...
>
> I'm applying a fix now.
>
> ..Steve

Re: Sorting the zip codes

Thorsten Kukuk
On Mon, Feb 20, Steve Ratcliffe wrote:

> On 20/02/12 18:54, Martin wrote:
> > Hello Steve,
> >
> > I've done some tests. Something goes wrong with the index. Now the
> > streets have a wrong zip-code.
>
> Ahhh yes! Sorry about that. It was using the index into the unsorted zip
> codes, not the index after sorting. We've had that bug before...
>
> I'm applying a fix now.

Seems to work fine now.

  Thorsten

Re: Sorting the zip codes

Martin Simon
2012/2/21 Thorsten Kukuk <[hidden email]>:
> On Mon, Feb 20, Steve Ratcliffe wrote:
>
>> I'm applying a fix now.
>
> Seems to work fine now.

Hi!

As this seems to work now, I ask myself what I need to do to my custom
style in order to activate it for my etrex vista.
I copied the first few lines of the default style's points file to my
points file when the search index became available and it worked, but
this time I can't spot any changes in the default style that relate to
the new postcode index.

Many thanks,

-Martin