Spatial Ops: the competition heats up

Adrian Custer
Hey all,

To push everyone to bigger and better things, we should all be aware
that our friendly gvSIG competition just released the Sextante
project---a plugin of spatial operations.

http://technology.slashgeo.org/technology/07/06/06/1320217.shtml

might be interesting to see what they have done. Docs in catalan,
castillian and possibly some other languages...

--adrian

Re: Spatial Ops: the competition heats up

Andrea Antonello
That is a good point. No, it is a very good point. I heard that the Saga
gis was about to start a second life and that it was up to be very
correlated to gvSig.

You probably all know what my position is in all this (obviously you
know :)). Udig should heavily point on a love story with GRASS (i.e. at
least keep compatibility). GRASS is a thing with potential like no other.

Andrea

Adrian Custer probaly wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> To push everyone to bigger and better things, we should all be aware
> that our friendly gvSIG competition just released the Sextante
> project---a plugin of spatial operations.
>
> http://technology.slashgeo.org/technology/07/06/06/1320217.shtml
>
> might be interesting to see what they have done. Docs in catalan,
> castillian and possibly some other languages...
>
> --adrian

Re: Spatial Ops: the competition heats up

Riccardo Rigon
I am not a developer myself, but I support some development in udig-JGrass through my funding and my know-how. Let me
remark what Andrea Antonello already wrote. He suggested, and I agree, that in the (lovely) competition (with gvSIG), supporting GRASS achievements will be an advantage and will capture many users. I totally agree with him, and I also add that such a long standing effort in open source code as GRASS has been, should not be lost. GRASS contains  a lot of knowledge infused by a generation of researchers and you should not overlook it. The beauty of a system is NOTHING without contents (even if your Marshall MacLuhan would not possibly completely agree). JGrass obviusly provides a good pathway to the GRASS world and some more.

With my warmest regards,

Riccardo Rigon

On Jun 7, 2007, at 2:04 PM, Adrian Custer wrote:

Hey all,

To push everyone to bigger and better things, we should all be aware
that our friendly gvSIG competition just released the Sextante
project---a plugin of spatial operations.

might be interesting to see what they have done. Docs in catalan,
castillian and possibly some other languages...

--adrian

Universita` di Trento         Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile  e  Ambientale/CUDAM
Via Mesiano, 77, 38050  Trento      (ITALIA)
E-mail[hidden email]
Ph: +390461882614-10    Fax:+390461882672
JGrass (Open Source GIS): http://www.jgrass.org/
GEOtop (Open Source distributed hydrological model):  http://www.geotop.org/