Splitting up Netherlands on Geofabrik Download Server

Splitting up Netherlands on Geofabrik Download Server

Frederik Ramm
Hi,

the Netherlands are currently the largest .osm.pbf file on the Geofabrik
download server for which there are no split regions.

Hence I would like to split it up, and my question to you is which is
more useful:

1. split into 4 regions North, West, South, East?
2. split into 12 provinces?

Bye
Frederik

Re: Splitting up Netherlands on Geofabrik Download Server

Sebastiaan Couwenberg
On 2018-11-06 09:48, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> 2. split into 12 provinces?

That makes the most sense.

Kind Regards,

Bas

Re: Splitting up Netherlands on Geofabrik Download Server

shravan

Splitting up the Netherlands into 12 provinces is the best idea.

Best,
Shravan

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [hidden email]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"

Re: Splitting up Netherlands on Geofabrik Download Server

Paul Smits
Keep in mind that the provinces will change in 2 months due to the cross-provincial merging of three municipalities into the new municipality of Vijfheerenlanden.

Cheers,

Paul L. Smits

Hi,

On 2018-11-06 10:35, Paul L. Smits wrote:
> Keep in mind that the provinces will change in 2 months due to the
> cross-provincial merging of three municipalities into the new
> municipality
> of Vijfheerenlanden.

I already have the changes for the municipal changes on January 1st
ready, this includes the changes to the province borders.

AFAIK Frederik uses the boundary relations to create the poly files, so
those will just need to be refreshed when the boundaries change.

Kind Regards,

Bas

Re: Splitting up Netherlands on Geofabrik Download Server

Maarten Deen
On 2018-11-06 10:46, Bas Couwenberg wrote:

> On 2018-11-06 10:35, Paul L. Smits wrote:
>> Keep in mind that the provinces will change in 2 months due to the
>> cross-provincial merging of three municipalities into the new
>> municipality
>> of Vijfheerenlanden.
>
> I already have the changes for the municipal changes on January 1st
> ready, this includes the changes to the province borders.
>
> AFAIK Frederik uses the boundary relations to create the poly files,
> so those will just need to be refreshed when the boundaries change.

Maybe it is best for Frederik to wait until after january 1st to
implement the split of the planet files. Idk but it may cause adverse
effects to people if the planet you download all of a sudden has a
different area.

Regards,
Maarten

On 06.11.2018 10:46, Bas Couwenberg wrote:
> I already have the changes for the municipal changes on January 1st
> ready, this includes the changes to the province borders.
>
> AFAIK Frederik uses the boundary relations to create the poly files, so
> those will just need to be refreshed when the boundaries change.

Not really, my clipping boundaries are curated manually so any refresh
will also have to happen manually - because I don't want people to be
surprised with sudden changes.

It sounds like a good idea to wait until the change is done - or
actually, perhaps it would not hurt if I simply implement the future
boundaries on the download server right now. Which of the provinces are
due to change?

On 2018-11-06 11:12, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> It sounds like a good idea to wait until the change is done - or
> actually, perhaps it would not hurt if I simply implement the future
> boundaries on the download server right now. Which of the provinces are
> due to change?

Utrecht en Zuid-Holland and the new municipality will be in Utrecht.
See also <https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vijfheerenlanden_%28gemeente%29>

Regards,
Maarten

On 2018-11-06 11:12, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> It sounds like a good idea to wait until the change is done - or
> actually, perhaps it would not hurt if I simply implement the future
> boundaries on the download server right now. Which of the provinces are
> due to change?

Zuid-Holland & Utrecht.

The municipality boundaries (admin_level=8) of Leerdam (0545) & Zederik
(0707) are moving from Zuid-Holland to Utrecht. These municipalities
along with Vianen (0620) will be merged into the new municipality
Vijfheerenlanden (1961).

See:

https://www.cbs.nl/nl-nl/onze-diensten/methoden/classificaties/overig/gemeentelijke-indelingen-per-jaar/indeling%20per%20jaar/gemeentelijke-indeling-op-1-januari-2019

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemeentelijke_herindelingen_in_Nederland#Herindeling_1_januari_2019

Kind Regards,

Bas

Re: Splitting up Netherlands on Geofabrik Download Server

Frederik Ramm
Hi,

I've implemented the split now:

http://download.geofabrik.de/europe/netherlands.html

From tomorrow on, this should also generate daily diffs for each province.

I'm already using the 2019 area definitions for Utrecht and Zuid-Holland
so they are "wrong" for the next 2 months but I hope that's not too bad.

Please let me know if you spot any problems!

Bye
Frederik

Re: Splitting up Netherlands on Geofabrik Download Server

Colin Smale

Frederik, are the 12 files taken from the same snapshot? Are they guaranteed to be "in sync" with each other?

On 11/07/18 11:02, Colin Smale wrote:
> Frederik, are the 12 files taken from the same snapshot? Are they
> guaranteed to be "in sync" with each other?

Yes, they're all generated from the same snapshot. It could
theoretically happen that if you download all 12 one after the other, if
you're very unlucky, the update happens somewhere in between and then
you get 6 old and 7 new files, but you can protect yourself against that
by using the file names that end with a time spec
(drenthe-181106.osm.pbf instead of drenthe-latest.osm.pbf).

Bye
Frederik

Re: Splitting up Netherlands on Geofabrik Download Server

Pander OpenTaal

While we are at it, I have tried contacting Geofabrik on this, but it never landed. Perhaps posting it here will help.

Regarding http://download.geofabrik.de/south-america.html

- Rename "suriname" to "Suriname"

- Offer a separate download for ABC islands, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_islands_(Lesser_Antilles)

- Offer a separate download for SSS islands, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSS_islands

Regarding http://download.geofabrik.de/central-america.html

- Rename "jamaica" to "Jamaica"

Regarding http://download.geofabrik.de/europe/belgium.html

- Offer a separate download for Flanders

- Offer a separate download for Wallonia

- Offer a separate download for Brussels

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_of_Belgium#Regional_demographics

Hopefully the momentum we have now can fix these issues.

Thanks,

Pander

On 11/7/18 23:25, Pander OpenTaal wrote:
> While we are at it, I have tried contacting Geofabrik on this, but it
> never landed. Perhaps posting it here will help.

I've fixed the spelling problems, but it's not time to split up Belgium
yet. I explained that to someone @opentaal.org (unsure if it was you, he
didn't use the name Pander): Czechia, Spain, Austria, Australia, Brazil,
Sweden, China, India, Indonesia and a few second-level territories of
Canada, Russia, and Italy are each larger (in terms of data size) than
Belgium and will have to be split before we split up Belgium, at least
that's how things look like at the moment... who knows what data imports
are in the works ;)

I'll start a different thread about the Caribbean.

Bye
Frederik