Spoken street names

Nick Hocking
Is there any navigation software (for a Mobile phone) that uses offline OSM data and also has spoken street names?

Re: Spoken street names

Hans De Kryger

Regards,
Hans

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 9:09 PM, Nick Hocking <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there any navigation software (for a Mobile phone) that uses offline OSM data and also has spoken street names?

Re: Spoken street names

Rodrigo Rodríguez

Speakig of that, I have MAPS.ME installed on my Android and it's supposed the app has a voice navigation system but it doesn't work. Any thoughts on that?

Regards,

On 16/08/16 23:03, Hans De Kryger wrote:

Regards,
Hans

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 9:09 PM, Nick Hocking <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there any navigation software (for a Mobile phone) that uses offline OSM data and also has spoken street names?

Rodrigo Rodríguez
http://mundonomada.info
__
La rebeldíⒶ siempre sirve.

Re: Spoken street names

Hans De Kryger

Regards,
Hans

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 10:13 PM, Rodrigo Rodríguez <[hidden email]> wrote:

Speakig of that, I have MAPS.ME installed on my Android and it's supposed the app has a voice navigation system but it doesn't work. Any thoughts on that?

Regards,

​It just tells you where to turn, sadly it doesn't tell you the name of the street. Hopefully they add that soon.​

On 16/08/16 23:03, Hans De Kryger wrote:

Regards,
Hans

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 9:09 PM, Nick Hocking <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there any navigation software (for a Mobile phone) that uses offline OSM data and also has spoken street names?

Rodrigo Rodríguez
http://mundonomada.info
__
La rebeldíⒶ siempre sirve.

Re: ***SPAM*** Re: Spoken street names

Christian Rogel
Le 17 août 2016 à 09:54, Johan C <[hidden email]> a écrit :

There's a third one: MagicEarth

Cherio, Johan

Another with street names vocal guide : Navmii.
Very complete GPS tool with head up display. A lite version : Navfree.

Cheers

Christian Rogel

Re: Spoken street names

Nick Hocking
I've already tried Navmii on my windows phone. I like it a lot but it doesn't do TTS (Spoken Street names) - as far as I can tell.

I've tried scout on my iPhone (a few years ago - overseas) . From memory, it did TTS but let itself down in late turn announcements. Also you can't purchase the software and I'm not interested in renting it.

Osmand only seems to work on Android so I'll have to go out and buy a cheap android phone tomorrow.

This is all so I can recommend OSM to others. For myself, when driving I use a garmin device with routable OSM maps from openmapchest and of course the garmins all have TTS. When walking I don't require TTS so any software is good enough.

Re: Spoken street names

Nick Hocking
I just tried Scout again (on the iphone) and it didn't do TTS

Re: Spoken street names

Christian Rogel

> Le 17 août 2016 à 12:36, Nick Hocking <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> I've already tried Navmii on my windows phone. I like it a lot but it doesn't do TTS (Spoken Street names) - as far as I can tell.

Forgot mentioning it is sold as a premium feature. Sorry.
Could not try it.

C. Rogel

Re: Spoken street names

Tomas Straupis
> Speakig of that, I have MAPS.ME installed on my Android and it's supposed
> the app has a voice navigation system but it doesn't work. Any thoughts on
> that?

  Maybe because it has a nickname CRAPS.ME and lots of mappers hate it? :-)

Re: Spoken street names

Marc Gemis
There is also Mapfactor Navigator [1], they do have a free version as
well.I didn't like their "announcements" for highway exists as much as
OsmAnd's.

[1] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator&hl=en

p.s. I find spoken street names not so interesting. In Belgium (and
many countries around it) the street names are only indicated within
the street itself, so after you made the turn. It would be better if
the destination tags where spoken all the time, not only on
higways/motorways.

Re: Spoken street names

Nick Hocking
I have tried OsmAnd and Magic Earth on Android and Magic Earth on IOs and they seem to work well, althouth Magic Earth did some crazy routing.  I will compare the same route on OsmAnd Magic Earth and Garmin (OSM maps) and OsmR to see if it is a data problem or routing issue.

I still haven't got Navmii to use TTS on Windows-phone but have contacted the vendor.

I tried Mapfactor on windows-phone but couldn't get TTS to work. - will try again tonight on windows-phone and android.

Re: Spoken street names

Nick Hocking

I've yet to find a product for Windows Phone that does TTS.  Navmii does it only on Android and Ios.  Maybe Scout does but it is not available in Australia.

OsmAnd (and the $8 upgrade OsmAnd+) is brilliant. The offline maps and offline Wikipedia POI's make this a must have item for all tourists. Once the developers put a 3d navigation screen in it, it will be ideal for all hire cars in the world.

Re: Spoken street names

Stefan Baebler
Having TTS to hear the street names is very nice, but hearing them correctly pronounced would be even better.

There was an attempt at it:

But AFAIK there was no outcome from that proposal.

best regards,
Štefan

Re: Spoken street names

Peter Wendorff
Am 22.08.2016 um 19:21 schrieb Štefan Baebler:
> Having TTS to hear the street names is very nice, but hearing them
> correctly pronounced would be even better.
>
> There was an attempt at it:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Phonetics
>
> But AFAIK there was no outcome from that proposal.

Did anyone really investigate how bad using common phonetic rules PER
LANGUAGE on osm names?
For many names that should work I think, at least when the right
language is detected correctly.
That, on the other hand, could be hinted by using the corresponding
name:[lang] tags (name:de, name:en, ...), probably even when the main
language might be redundant.

regards
Peter

Re: Spoken street names

John F. Eldredge
This would be only semi-successful on English-language names, since
English has loan-words from virtually every other language on Earth, and
many of those words don't fit the general English phonetic rules.

On 08/22/2016 01:16 PM, Peter Wendorff wrote:

> Am 22.08.2016 um 19:21 schrieb Štefan Baebler:
>> Having TTS to hear the street names is very nice, but hearing them
>> correctly pronounced would be even better.
>>
>> There was an attempt at it:
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Phonetics
>>
>> But AFAIK there was no outcome from that proposal.
>
> Did anyone really investigate how bad using common phonetic rules PER
> LANGUAGE on osm names?
> For many names that should work I think, at least when the right
> language is detected correctly.
> That, on the other hand, could be hinted by using the corresponding
> name:[lang] tags (name:de, name:en, ...), probably even when the main
> language might be redundant.
>
> regards
> Peter

Pronunciation (was: Re: Spoken street names)

Andy Townsend
On 22/08/2016 18:21, Štefan Baebler wrote:
> Having TTS to hear the street names is very nice, but hearing them
> correctly pronounced would be even better.
>
> There was an attempt at it:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Phonetics
>
> But AFAIK there was no outcome from that proposal.

Slightly more are tagged with
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/name%3Apronunciation (but not many).

Best Regards,

Andy