Quantcast

Starting a new mapping project

Manuel Claeys Bouuaert
Hi

I've organised a few Missing maps events now, and for our next one, we are thinking of a new possible task in a nature reserver in DRC Congo. Together with a local partner, we'd like to map roads and residential areas in the park, and, if possible, also (illegal) mining activities.

My questions are:
  1. Is it possible for us to start/propose a new task ourselves? Any documentation on starting/proposing a task?
  2. We'd need to check if the best imagery available is good enough for the task we're thinking of. Is there a way I could check this?
Thanks for you help

Re: Starting a new mapping project

Blake Girardot HOT/OSM
Hi Manuel,

This is not a problem. The main criteria is that a humanitarian
organization needs the data for field work.

Please send me directly something that outlines the area you are
interested in having mapped, shapefile, geojson or .osm file will
work.

As well as some details on the organizations that need the data and
how it will help their project.

cheers,
Blake

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Manuel Claeys Bouuaert
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've organised a few Missing maps events now, and for our next one, we are
> thinking of a new possible task in a nature reserver in DRC Congo. Together
> with a local partner, we'd like to map roads and residential areas in the
> park, and, if possible, also (illegal) mining activities.
>
> My questions are:
>
> Is it possible for us to start/propose a new task ourselves? Any
> documentation on starting/proposing a task?
> We'd need to check if the best imagery available is good enough for the task
> we're thinking of. Is there a way I could check this?
>
> Thanks for you help

Blake Girardot
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team, TM3 Project Manager
skype: jblakegirardot
HOT Core Team Contact: [hidden email]
Live OSM Mapper-Support channel - https://hotosm-slack.herokuapp.com/
BE A PART OF HOT'S MICRO GRANTS: https://donate.hotosm.org/

Re: Starting a new mapping project

Manuel Claeys Bouuaert
Hi Blake

Thanks for your fast response! Enclosed you'll find a shapefile of the Okapi national park in Northeast DRC.

The participating organisations would be the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS), and NGO focused on protecting species worldwide, and the International Peace Information Service (IPIS), and NGO delivering data and analysis on peace topics, sustainable development and the fulfilment of human rights.

The aim would be to map road, residential areas and if possible (illegal) artisanal mining activities in the park. There are many stresses in the national parks of DRC, including deforestation, illegal hunting (poaching) and armed-actor controlled artisanal mining.

Both organisations are dedicated to work to reduce these tensions and work towards durable peace. WCS does this with the focus on safe and well organised park service, bringing stability tho the animals and people living in the park. IPIS has a lot of experience with mapping artisanal mining sites, and diffusing such information to inform actors in the peace process.

Disclosure: I currently work at IPIS Research.

Looking forward to hear back from you!

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've organised a few Missing maps events now, and for our next one, we are
> thinking of a new possible task in a nature reserver in DRC Congo. Together
> with a local partner, we'd like to map roads and residential areas in the
> park, and, if possible, also (illegal) mining activities.
>
> My questions are:
>
> Is it possible for us to start/propose a new task ourselves? Any
> documentation on starting/proposing a task?
> We'd need to check if the best imagery available is good enough for the task
> we're thinking of. Is there a way I could check this?
>
> Thanks for you help

Blake Girardot
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team, TM3 Project Manager
skype: jblakegirardot
HOT Core Team Contact: [hidden email]
Live OSM Mapper-Support channel - https://hotosm-slack.herokuapp.com/
BE A PART OF HOT'S MICRO GRANTS: https://donate.hotosm.org/

Okapi.cpg (8 bytes) Download Attachment
Okapi.dbf (106 bytes) Download Attachment
Okapi.prj (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Okapi.qpj (352 bytes) Download Attachment
Okapi.shp (80K) Download Attachment
Okapi.shx (146 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Starting a new mapping project

Manuel Claeys Bouuaert
Hi Blake

Thanks for your fast response! I've just sending you a shapefile of the Okapi national park in Northeast DRC through we-transfer- here is the download link again.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've organised a few Missing maps events now, and for our next one, we are
> thinking of a new possible task in a nature reserver in DRC Congo. Together
> with a local partner, we'd like to map roads and residential areas in the
> park, and, if possible, also (illegal) mining activities.
>
> My questions are:
>
> Is it possible for us to start/propose a new task ourselves? Any
> documentation on starting/proposing a task?
> We'd need to check if the best imagery available is good enough for the task
> we're thinking of. Is there a way I could check this?
>
> Thanks for you help

Blake Girardot
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team, TM3 Project Manager
skype: jblakegirardot
HOT Core Team Contact: [hidden email]
Live OSM Mapper-Support channel - https://hotosm-slack.herokuapp.com/
BE A PART OF HOT'S MICRO GRANTS: https://donate.hotosm.org/

Re: Starting a new mapping project

Claire Halleux-3
Hi Manuel, Blake,

Good to hear that this project will be taking place!

Please let us (OSM DRC) know the tags you are aiming to use, in particular for mapping potential mining sites, as well as the project hashtag; and make sure to have a validating team to clean the newly added data during or immediately after the mapathon.

Regarding imagery, beyond quality, it is crucial that you check if the age of the available satellite imagery matches your needs. It is often a few years old, which is not always proper to detect recent changes in landuse and population settlements.

All the best,

Claire

Claire Halleux
+243 81 611 6998 (Kinshasa, DRC)
OpenStreetMap RDC

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've organised a few Missing maps events now, and for our next one, we are
> thinking of a new possible task in a nature reserver in DRC Congo. Together
> with a local partner, we'd like to map roads and residential areas in the
> park, and, if possible, also (illegal) mining activities.
>
> My questions are:
>
> Is it possible for us to start/propose a new task ourselves? Any
> documentation on starting/proposing a task?
> We'd need to check if the best imagery available is good enough for the task
> we're thinking of. Is there a way I could check this?
>
> Thanks for you help

Blake Girardot
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team, TM3 Project Manager
skype: jblakegirardot
HOT Core Team Contact: [hidden email]
Live OSM Mapper-Support channel - https://hotosm-slack.herokuapp.com/
BE A PART OF HOT'S MICRO GRANTS: https://donate.hotosm.org/

Re: Starting a new mapping project

Manuel Claeys Bouuaert
Hi Claire

Thanks for your input. We will keep you in the loop!

We will take te date of the imagery into account, thanks for pointing that out! Right now the question is whether we can find data that is good enough. I don't know the different ways to do this, so I'd be happy to learn about them and take action myself if possible.

Regards!
Manuel