State names

Graeme Fitzpatrick
G'day

The latest (?) upgrade to iD reformatted the address fields to suit Oz addresses & also introduced a State field to be entered.

Question & policy decision needed here please :-)

Queensland / Qld / QLD?

How should we be entering our State names?

Thanks

Graeme

Re: State names

Warin
On 24/06/18 16:20, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

> G'day
>
> The latest (?) upgrade to iD reformatted the address fields to suit Oz
> addresses & also introduced a State field to be entered.
>
> Question & policy decision needed here please :-)
>
> Queensland / Qld / QLD?
>
> How should we be entering our State names?

Well the 'rules' for names say no abbreviations.

Much as we commonly use the abbreviations... for me the abbreviation is
Qld.
But Australia Post wants capitals .. I suppose they are easier for the
machines to read them?
See page 24 (26 on the PDF reader) on
https://auspost.com.au/content/dam/auspost_corp/media/documents/australia-post-addressing-standards-1999.pdf

There you  go, an 'all ways' bet. :)
  I'd go no abbreviation.

Re: State names

ewmjc

I assume we are specifically talking about addr:state ? If so the connotation is on the state as part of a postal address rather than as a place per se. Therefore I suggest using capitalised abbreviation and that the document Warin quotes is authoritative. The wiki page also notes that US states are similarly treated.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:addr

https://auspost.com.au/content/dam/auspost_corp/media/documents/australia-post-addressing-standards-1999.pdf

Randomly looking at Queensland as place=state, I see that ref=QLD is already set as well as short_name, so there is a link that can be used in computational processing.

And thinking on it, perhaps there are no other active uses? I used to use is_in a lot, but I don't think it is in widespread use any more.

Mike

On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 at 18:42, Michael Collinson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Randomly looking at Queensland as place=state, I see that ref=QLD is already set as well as short_name, so there is a link that can be used in computational processing.

Thanks for that confirmation Mike - QLD works for me!

And thinking on it, perhaps there are no other active uses? I used to use is_in a lot, but I don't think it is in widespread use any more.

Just looking at addresses I've loaded without "is_in", & they all seem to show as Whatever Address, without a Suburb / Town, but with "Enclosing Features" - State Boundary: Queensland?

Re: State names

Andrew Davidson-3
On 25/6/18 08:42, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Just looking at addresses I've loaded without "is_in", & they all seem to
> show as Whatever Address, without a Suburb / Town, but with "Enclosing
> Features" - State Boundary: Queensland?

See:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2016-August/076596.html

is_in tags are a bit of a waste of time see:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2017-March/031548.html