Strava Cycling and Running Heatmap not working

Strava Cycling and Running Heatmap not working

Mike Thompson
I am trying to use the "Strava Cycling and Running Heatmap" in JOSM but I am getting a "Error HTTP error 403 when loading tiles."  It was working a few days ago. The "Strava running heatmap" gives the same error. Is anyone else having this same issue?

Mike

Re: Strava Cycling and Running Heatmap not working

Sérgio V.

Perhaps due to this update?

"...we are eager to introduce new ways we are protecting that data and the athletes who provide it:..."

"...Roads and trails with very little activity will not show “heat” until several different athletes upload activities in that area..."

"The heatmap remains available to the public, but only registered Strava athletes may zoom in to street-level details of activity on the heatmap."

https://blog.strava.com/press/heatmap-updates/

Re: Strava Cycling and Running Heatmap not working

Clifford Snow
Mike - I can confirm the same results but I am getting the strava cycling heatmap with no problem.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 11:57 AM, Mike Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am trying to use the "Strava Cycling and Running Heatmap" in JOSM but I am getting a "Error HTTP error 403 when loading tiles."  It was working a few days ago. The "Strava running heatmap" gives the same error. Is anyone else having this same issue?

Mike

@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: Strava Cycling and Running Heatmap not working

Nelson A. de Oliveira
On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 3:57 PM, Mike Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am trying to use the "Strava Cycling and Running Heatmap" in JOSM but I am
> getting a "Error HTTP error 403 when loading tiles."  It was working a few
> days ago. The "Strava running heatmap" gives the same error. Is anyone else
> having this same issue?

It is working, but the maximum zoom level is now 12 (see
https://blog.strava.com/press/heatmap-updates/)
If you try to see some higher level tiles it will indeed give a
forbidden error code.
Try to update the imagery providers in JOSM and re-add the Strava
layer (which should bring the layer with an updated info about the new
maximum zoom level).

Re: Strava Cycling and Running Heatmap not working

James-2
403 is Forbidden
Possibly due to api endpoint changes.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018, 3:34 PM Sérgio V., <[hidden email]> wrote:

Perhaps due to this update?

"...we are eager to introduce new ways we are protecting that data and the athletes who provide it:..."

"...Roads and trails with very little activity will not show “heat” until several different athletes upload activities in that area..."

"The heatmap remains available to the public, but only registered Strava athletes may zoom in to street-level details of activity on the heatmap."

https://blog.strava.com/press/heatmap-updates/

Re: Strava Cycling and Running Heatmap not working

Yves
Zoom 12 only? Too bad, this was perfect for path under wood cover.

Yves

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 4:54 PM, yvecai <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Zoom 12 only? Too bad, this was perfect for path under wood cover.

I am sorry for the wrong info, but actually it seems to be 11.
If we try to load a tile from 12 we see this: "authentication is now
required for data access beyond zoom level 12, please login to
strava.com and then visit /auth"

Example: https://heatmap-external-c.strava.com/tiles/both/bluered/12/1505/2306.png

Re: Strava Cycling and Running Heatmap not working

Matthijs Melissen
On 15 March 2018 at 19:57, Mike Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am trying to use the "Strava Cycling and Running Heatmap" in JOSM but I am getting a "Error HTTP error 403 when loading tiles."

According to the Dutch forum, the following URLs should work:

tms[3,17]:http://globalheat.strava.com/tiles/cycling/color2/{zoom}/{x}/{y}.png
tms[3,17]:http://globalheat.strava.com/tiles/running/color2/{zoom}/{x}/{y}.png

-- Matthijs

Re: Strava Cycling and Running Heatmap not working

Mike Thompson
Nelson,

Thanks!

The blog post states:
"registered Strava athletes may zoom in to street-level details"

If I become a "registered Strava athlete" is there a way I can see the street level detail in JOSM, or is it only through their app?

Mike

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 1:34 PM, Nelson A. de Oliveira <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 3:57 PM, Mike Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am trying to use the "Strava Cycling and Running Heatmap" in JOSM but I am
> getting a "Error HTTP error 403 when loading tiles."  It was working a few
> days ago. The "Strava running heatmap" gives the same error. Is anyone else
> having this same issue?

It is working, but the maximum zoom level is now 12 (see
https://blog.strava.com/press/heatmap-updates/)
If you try to see some higher level tiles it will indeed give a
forbidden error code.
Try to update the imagery providers in JOSM and re-add the Strava
layer (which should bring the layer with an updated info about the new
maximum zoom level).

Re: Strava Cycling and Running Heatmap not working

Marco
Hi, yeah, this one works but it's the old (2015/2016 if I remember
right) heatmap, if you compare it with this one
https://www.strava.com/heatmap you'll see that there are substantial
differences.

I do get that zoom levels over 11 or 12 are restricted to registered
users, but what if I do sign up to Strava then? how could I get Strava
to identify me as a registered user when using iD/JOSM?