Strava heatmap plugin

allierosm allierosm
Strava heatmap plugin

Hello,

I have developed a JOSM plugin that provides access to the high-resolution
Strava heatmaps: https://github.com/allier-osm/strava_heatmap

Some month ago Strava has put in place a new authentication system on their
tile server. Since then, only the low-resolution heatmaps are available in
JOSM: At a zoom level > 12, the tile server expects the client to provide a
session cookie.

As discussed in https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/16100, implementing an
OAuth connector would be ideal to get access to the high-resolution
heatmaps. But until such a connector is implemented a simple workaround
consists in retrieving the authentication cookies from the Strava website
and setting them in the tile server URL. The plugin I developed automates
this process.

Any feedback is welcome :-)

Re: Strava heatmap plugin

Vincent Privat-2
Thanks! I have added a new Trac component "Plugin strava_heatmap" and set
you as maintainer.
I have reaffected #16100 to this new plugin.

I see your plugin defines strings to be translated. Would you like to bring
this new plugin to the Github JOSM organization? This way it's easier for
everyone to update plugin translations. You will of course remain full
admin of the repository.

Cheers,
Vincent

Le lun. 29 oct. 2018 à 21:01, allierosm allierosm <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Strava heatmap plugin
>
> Hello,
>
> I have developed a JOSM plugin that provides access to the high-resolution
> Strava heatmaps: https://github.com/allier-osm/strava_heatmap
>
> Some month ago Strava has put in place a new authentication system on their
> tile server. Since then, only the low-resolution heatmaps are available in
> JOSM: At a zoom level > 12, the tile server expects the client to provide a
> session cookie.
>
> As discussed in https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/16100, implementing
> an
> OAuth connector would be ideal to get access to the high-resolution
> heatmaps. But until such a connector is implemented a simple workaround
> consists in retrieving the authentication cookies from the Strava website
> and setting them in the tile server URL. The plugin I developed automates
> this process.
>
> Any feedback is welcome :-)

Re: Strava heatmap plugin

allierosm allierosm
Hello,

Sure, I can move the plugin repository to the Github JOSM organization,
just let me know how to proceed.

Le 29/10/2018 à 21:29, Vincent Privat a écrit :

> Thanks! I have added a new Trac component "Plugin strava_heatmap" and
> set you as maintainer.
> I have reaffected #16100 to this new plugin.
>
> I see your plugin defines strings to be translated. Would you like to
> bring this new plugin to the Github JOSM organization? This way it's
> easier for everyone to update plugin translations. You will of course
> remain full admin of the repository.
>
> Cheers,
> Vincent
>
> Le lun. 29 oct. 2018 à 21:01, allierosm allierosm <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :
>
>     Strava heatmap plugin
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I have developed a JOSM plugin that provides access to the
>     high-resolution
>     Strava heatmaps: https://github.com/allier-osm/strava_heatmap
>
>     Some month ago Strava has put in place a new authentication system
>     on their
>     tile server. Since then, only the low-resolution heatmaps are
>     available in
>     JOSM: At a zoom level > 12, the tile server expects the client to
>     provide a
>     session cookie.
>
>     As discussed in https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/16100,
>     implementing an
>     OAuth connector would be ideal to get access to the high-resolution
>     heatmaps. But until such a connector is implemented a simple
>     workaround
>     consists in retrieving the authentication cookies from the Strava
>     website
>     and setting them in the tile server URL. The plugin I developed
>     automates
>     this process.
>
>     Any feedback is welcome :-)

Re: Strava heatmap plugin

Vincent Privat-2
I have invited you to the organization. Then we must follow this procedure:
https://help.github.com/articles/transferring-a-repository-owned-by-your-personal-account/#transferring-to-an-organization

Le mar. 30 oct. 2018 à 12:40, allierosm <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> Sure, I can move the plugin repository to the Github JOSM organization,
> just let me know how to proceed.
>

> Le 29/10/2018 à 21:29, Vincent Privat a écrit :
>
> Thanks! I have added a new Trac component "Plugin strava_heatmap" and set
> you as maintainer.
> I have reaffected #16100 to this new plugin.
>
> I see your plugin defines strings to be translated. Would you like to
> bring this new plugin to the Github JOSM organization? This way it's easier
> for everyone to update plugin translations. You will of course remain full
> admin of the repository.
>
> Cheers,
> Vincent
>
> Le lun. 29 oct. 2018 à 21:01, allierosm allierosm <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
>> Strava heatmap plugin
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have developed a JOSM plugin that provides access to the high-resolution
>> Strava heatmaps: https://github.com/allier-osm/strava_heatmap
>>
>> Some month ago Strava has put in place a new authentication system on
>> their
>> tile server. Since then, only the low-resolution heatmaps are available in
>> JOSM: At a zoom level > 12, the tile server expects the client to provide
>> session cookie.
>>
>> As discussed in https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/16100, implementing
>> an
>> OAuth connector would be ideal to get access to the high-resolution
>> heatmaps. But until such a connector is implemented a simple workaround
>> consists in retrieving the authentication cookies from the Strava website
>> and setting them in the tile server URL. The plugin I developed automates
>> this process.
>>
>> Any feedback is welcome :-)

Re: Strava heatmap plugin

allierosm allierosm
Done :-)

Le 30/10/2018 à 13:09, Vincent Privat a écrit :

> I have invited you to the organization. Then we must follow this
> procedure:
> https://help.github.com/articles/transferring-a-repository-owned-by-your-personal-account/#transferring-to-an-organization
>
> Le mar. 30 oct. 2018 à 12:40, allierosm <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :
>
>     Hello,
>
>     Sure, I can move the plugin repository to the Github JOSM
>     organization, just let me know how to proceed.
>

>     Le 29/10/2018 à 21:29, Vincent Privat a écrit :
>>     Thanks! I have added a new Trac component "Plugin strava_heatmap"
>>     and set you as maintainer.
>>     I have reaffected #16100 to this new plugin.
>>
>>     I see your plugin defines strings to be translated. Would you
>>     like to bring this new plugin to the Github JOSM organization?
>>     This way it's easier for everyone to update plugin translations.
>>     You will of course remain full admin of the repository.
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>     Vincent
>>
>>     Le lun. 29 oct. 2018 à 21:01, allierosm allierosm
>>     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :
>>
>>         Strava heatmap plugin
>>
>>         Hello,
>>
>>         I have developed a JOSM plugin that provides access to the
>>         high-resolution
>>         Strava heatmaps: https://github.com/allier-osm/strava_heatmap
>>
>>         Some month ago Strava has put in place a new authentication
>>         system on their
>>         tile server. Since then, only the low-resolution heatmaps are
>>         available in
>>         JOSM: At a zoom level > 12, the tile server expects the
>>         client to provide a
>>         session cookie.
>>
>>         As discussed in https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/16100,
>>         implementing an
>>         OAuth connector would be ideal to get access to the
>>         high-resolution
>>         heatmaps. But until such a connector is implemented a simple
>>         workaround
>>         consists in retrieving the authentication cookies from the
>>         Strava website
>>         and setting them in the tile server URL. The plugin I
>>         developed automates
>>         this process.
>>
>>         Any feedback is welcome :-)

Re: Strava heatmap plugin

allierosm allierosm
Hello,

I have made a pre-release available:
https://github.com/JOSM/strava_heatmap/releases/tag/v0.9

There is an open issue (https://github.com/JOSM/strava_heatmap/issues/2)
and the fix will require an enhancement that is planned for the next
JOSM milestone (https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/16910).
Until then I suppose it is better not to publish the plugin in the
plugins list?

Le 30/10/2018 à 13:09, Vincent Privat a écrit :

> I have invited you to the organization. Then we must follow this
> procedure:
> https://help.github.com/articles/transferring-a-repository-owned-by-your-personal-account/#transferring-to-an-organization
>
> Le mar. 30 oct. 2018 à 12:40, allierosm <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :
>
>     Hello,
>
>     Sure, I can move the plugin repository to the Github JOSM
>     organization, just let me know how to proceed.
>

>     Le 29/10/2018 à 21:29, Vincent Privat a écrit :
>>     Thanks! I have added a new Trac component "Plugin strava_heatmap"
>>     and set you as maintainer.
>>     I have reaffected #16100 to this new plugin.
>>
>>     I see your plugin defines strings to be translated. Would you
>>     like to bring this new plugin to the Github JOSM organization?
>>     This way it's easier for everyone to update plugin translations.
>>     You will of course remain full admin of the repository.
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>     Vincent
>>
>>     Le lun. 29 oct. 2018 à 21:01, allierosm allierosm
>>     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :
>>
>>         Strava heatmap plugin
>>
>>         Hello,
>>
>>         I have developed a JOSM plugin that provides access to the
>>         high-resolution
>>         Strava heatmaps: https://github.com/allier-osm/strava_heatmap
>>
>>         Some month ago Strava has put in place a new authentication
>>         system on their
>>         tile server. Since then, only the low-resolution heatmaps are
>>         available in
>>         JOSM: At a zoom level > 12, the tile server expects the
>>         client to provide a
>>         session cookie.
>>
>>         As discussed in https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/16100,
>>         implementing an
>>         OAuth connector would be ideal to get access to the
>>         high-resolution
>>         heatmaps. But until such a connector is implemented a simple
>>         workaround
>>         consists in retrieving the authentication cookies from the
>>         Strava website
>>         and setting them in the tile server URL. The plugin I
>>         developed automates
>>         this process.
>>
>>         Any feedback is welcome :-)

Re: Strava heatmap plugin

allierosm allierosm
just to clarify my question:

Would it make sense to publish the plugin now and mark it as dependent
of a JOSM development version, or rather wait until the next JOSM
milestone is released and then publish the plugin?

Le 31/10/2018 à 13:37, allierosm a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I have made a pre-release available:
> https://github.com/JOSM/strava_heatmap/releases/tag/v0.9
>
> There is an open issue
> (https://github.com/JOSM/strava_heatmap/issues/2) and the fix will
> require an enhancement that is planned for the next JOSM milestone
> (https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/16910).
> Until then I suppose it is better not to publish the plugin in the
> plugins list?
>
> Le 30/10/2018 à 13:09, Vincent Privat a écrit :
>> I have invited you to the organization. Then we must follow this
>> procedure:
>> https://help.github.com/articles/transferring-a-repository-owned-by-your-personal-account/#transferring-to-an-organization
>>
>> Le mar. 30 oct. 2018 à 12:40, allierosm <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :
>>
>>     Hello,
>>
>>     Sure, I can move the plugin repository to the Github JOSM
>>     organization, just let me know how to proceed.
>>

>>     Le 29/10/2018 à 21:29, Vincent Privat a écrit :
>>>     Thanks! I have added a new Trac component "Plugin
>>>     strava_heatmap" and set you as maintainer.
>>>     I have reaffected #16100 to this new plugin.
>>>
>>>     I see your plugin defines strings to be translated. Would you
>>>     like to bring this new plugin to the Github JOSM organization?
>>>     This way it's easier for everyone to update plugin translations.
>>>     You will of course remain full admin of the repository.
>>>
>>>     Cheers,
>>>     Vincent
>>>
>>>     Le lun. 29 oct. 2018 à 21:01, allierosm allierosm
>>>     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :
>>>
>>>         Strava heatmap plugin
>>>
>>>         Hello,
>>>
>>>         I have developed a JOSM plugin that provides access to the
>>>         high-resolution
>>>         Strava heatmaps: https://github.com/allier-osm/strava_heatmap
>>>
>>>         Some month ago Strava has put in place a new authentication
>>>         system on their
>>>         tile server. Since then, only the low-resolution heatmaps
>>>         are available in
>>>         JOSM: At a zoom level > 12, the tile server expects the
>>>         client to provide a
>>>         session cookie.
>>>
>>>         As discussed in https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/16100,
>>>         implementing an
>>>         OAuth connector would be ideal to get access to the
>>>         high-resolution
>>>         heatmaps. But until such a connector is implemented a simple
>>>         workaround
>>>         consists in retrieving the authentication cookies from the
>>>         Strava website
>>>         and setting them in the tile server URL. The plugin I
>>>         developed automates
>>>         this process.
>>>
>>>         Any feedback is welcome :-)

Re: Strava heatmap plugin

Vincent Privat-2
First one: publish the plugin now and mark it as dependent of the minimum
JOSM development version. Plugins don't have to care about of JOSM being
tested or latest: they just have to reference the minimum compatible
version.