Streams

Re: Streams

Andy Mabbett
On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 21:40, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 19:02, Mark Goodge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > This is something which ought to be amenable to importing data from OS
> > OpenRivers.
>
> That would be wonderful; but is beyond my skill-set.

While we wait in hope that someone will organise an oport, is this
data available anywhere in human-readable form? Perhaps as a
background image layer in JOSM?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: Streams

sk53.osm
Last time I looked at OS OpenRivers it only included a relatively small subset of all watercourses, there may be much more in OS Map Local. At the time I did a basic comparison of accuracy of OSM ways and like Andy noted a few streams which turned to rivers & then back again. On a general basis most things is OS Open Rivers were already in OSM and within 5-10 m of the OS data.

For basic importing of individual ways, Potlatch3 provides a simple mechanism where you can read in a shape file & then transfer individual items from the shape file layer into the editing layer. Of course for OSGB data all the caveats apply to ensuring the right projection transform is used (recommend QGIS with the nt15 transform installed). JOSM allows similar approaches, and would also allow a current geometry to be replaced by a more detailed one from OSGB data. I also think iD has a custom map data layer which accepts geojson & kml. You also need to check to what extent the data is generalised: the equivalent road dataset OS Open Roads is just a bit too generalised to not require some adjustments once pulled into OSM.

Jerry