Suggestions/Requests

Christian Nold
Hi guys,

Suggestions/Requests:

Applet Interface Issues

1 To place a new line segment - drag the line to place and let go and
it should place a node. The node tool could then be removed.

2 to connect a road to an already drawn line it would be great to drag
the line onto the place where they intersect and it would place a new
node to connect the lines.

3 Please speed the applet up!!!!!!

4 Hover over one of the tool icons and you should get a little tooltip
description of what it does.

5 Make the node icons bigger + increase distance at wich a line
snaps to a node.

6 Proper bezier curve functions - have a look at how it works in Adobe
Illustrator!

General stuff:

1 I would love to drag a box over the map and then be able to download
an eps or jpg of that section!

2 Think about targeting webdesigners that currently rip off OS maps for
all the little how to get here sections on websites. What we need is
an article in a design magazine like EYE that highlights the issue and
proposes and amazing free and opne alternative...

--
Best
 Christian Nold

Web:       www.softhook.com
Web:       www.biomapping.net

Re: Suggestions/Requests

Immanuel Scholz
Hi,

> 1 To place a new line segment - drag the line to place and let go and
> it should place a node. The node tool could then be removed.

You may want to add a node without a line to indicate a local pub or a
open wlan network ("point of interest").

> 1 I would love to drag a box over the map and then be able to download
> an eps or jpg of that section!

Scrolling, zooming and a final Alt+Print (=screenshot) won't do it?

Ciao, Imi.

Re: Suggestions/Requests

Jonathan McDowell
On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 08:21:07PM +0100, Christian Nold wrote:

> 2 to connect a road to an already drawn line it would be great to drag
> the line onto the place where they intersect and it would place a new
> node to connect the lines.

How do you distinguish between roads that intersect and roads that don't
(eg due to bridges)?

J.

--
We're all out there, somewhere, waiting to happen..

Re: Suggestions/Requests

Erik Johansson-2
2005/10/24, Immanuel Scholz <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>

> > 1 To place a new line segment - drag the line to place and let go and
> > it should place a node. The node tool could then be removed.
>
> You may want to add a node without a line to indicate a local pub or a
> open wlan network ("point of interest").

But most of the time you don't want to have a single node,  so I would
say that his way would be faster. Perhaps hiding the create node
button per default.

QGIS uses this interface and even though it's alot faster it's also
alot easier to make mistakes. e.g. you missplace nodes, or you don't
know how to stop placing the nodes (and start placing random nodes).

--
/Erik

Re: Suggestions/Requests

Christian Nold

> 1 To place a new line segment - drag the line to place and let go and
> it should place a node. The node tool could then be removed.

orvuau> You may want to add a node without a line to indicate a local pub or a
orvuau> open wlan network ("point of interest").

ok leave the node tool in and rename it to "Annotations", but in order
to draw roads I should not have to place a node first. Seriously try
using Illustrator to draw a path - its so easy and pleasurable!

> 1 I would love to drag a box over the map and then be able to download
> an eps or jpg of that section!

orvuau> Scrolling, zooming and a final Alt+Print (=screenshot) won't do it?

Erm well I would like a large image - much bigger than the bounds of the
tiny window + how can I get a vector eps? I my humble opinion these
are the kind of things that will make this really useful resource for normal
people .

> 2 to connect a road to an already drawn line it would be great to drag
> the line onto the place where they intersect and it would place a new
> node to connect the lines.

orvuau> How do you distinguish between roads that intersect and roads that don't
orvuau> (eg due to bridges)?

If you drag the line across an interceting line than its a bridge.
If you drag and drop a line onto the point where it intersects with
another line than its a joint.

--
Best
 Christian

Web:       www.softhook.com
Web:       www.biomapping.net

Re: Suggestions/Requests

Erik Johansson-2
2005/10/25, Christian Nold <[hidden email]>:

> > 1 I would love to drag a box over the map and then be able to download
> > an eps or jpg of that section!
>
> orvuau> Scrolling, zooming and a final Alt+Print (=screenshot) won't do it?
>
> Erm well I would like a large image - much bigger than the bounds of the
> tiny window + how can I get a vector eps? I my humble opinion these
> are the kind of things that will make this really useful resource for normal
> people .

There is no export option for vector graphics formats as far I'm
aware, it should be a very nice and easy project if you want to do it
and know about vector formats. You can easily download an area in GPX
format with the REST api (see wiki), and with this you can create
something that could be loaded into Illustrator.

You can download large bitmaps (2048x2048), but you don't want to do
that since it puts lots of load on the DB and I believe that there is
an limit to the amount of "streets" that can be shown right now.

You are right these features are vital to have when you have a good
free map so you can download the map and  use it offline. Right now
Openstreetmap is not ready there are no street names and we are not
even 10% done in the areas that we have mapped.

--
/Erik:  than/then engelsk s√§rskrivning?