SunCertPathBuilderException

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SunCertPathBuilderException

Alan Bragg


At 3pm EST JOSM is refusing to start. I getting this message.
​If I ignore the message I can continue to use JOSM as usual.

-----------------------------

        JOSM tried to access the following resources:
but failed to do so, because of the following network errors:
  • sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
It may be due to a missing proxy configuration.
Would you like to change your proxy settings now?   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SunCertPathBuilderException

Mike Thompson
Alan,

Are you on a corporate / institutional network where they might be filtering internet traffic?  This has happened to me, and I had to ask for an exception for those addresses.

Mike

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Alan Bragg <[hidden email]> wrote:


At 3pm EST JOSM is refusing to start. I getting this message.
​If I ignore the message I can continue to use JOSM as usual.

-----------------------------

        JOSM tried to access the following resources:
but failed to do so, because of the following network errors:
  • sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
It may be due to a missing proxy configuration.
Would you like to change your proxy settings now?   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us



_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SunCertPathBuilderException

Blake Girardot
In reply to this post by Alan Bragg
Hi Alan,

Dirk did make a change to server certificates today I think.

It is possible this is related to that change.

If you could please provide your OS version, JOSM version and Java
version, that would really be helpful.

JOSM -> Help menu -> Show Status Report provides all that info right up
at the top of the resulting dialog box.

Cheers,
Blake


On 12/14/2015 9:49 PM, Alan Bragg wrote:

>
>
> At 3pm EST JOSM is refusing to start. I getting this message.
> ​If I ignore the message I can continue to use JOSM as usual.
>
> -----------------------------
>
>          JOSM tried to access the following resources:
>
>   * https://josm.openstreetmap.de/maps
>   * https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/StartupPage
>
> but *failed* to do so, because of the following network errors:
>
>   * sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable
>     to find valid certification path to requested target
>
> It may be due to a missing proxy configuration.
> Would you like to change your proxy settings now?
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-us mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
>

_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SunCertPathBuilderException

Greg Morgan
In reply to this post by Alan Bragg

Checking the certificate[1] via a web browser says that the certificate for https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/StartupPage is valid from ‎Friday, ‎December ‎09, ‎2016 1:37:29 PM until 12/9/2016.  If you haven't used this computer for awhile you might check your JOSM version.  I had no problems last night nor since the cert was issued on 12/9 with the latest version of JOSM. I don't know if the SHA-1 issue[2] is related.

If the issue is a proxy problem as Mike pointed out, then I recall that you have to add -Dhttp.proxyHost=yourProxyURL to your JOSM arguments before you can change the proxy settings in your preferences.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Alan Bragg <[hidden email]> wrote:


At 3pm EST JOSM is refusing to start. I getting this message.
​If I ignore the message I can continue to use JOSM as usual.

-----------------------------

        JOSM tried to access the following resources:
but failed to do so, because of the following network errors:
  • sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
It may be due to a missing proxy configuration.
Would you like to change your proxy settings now?   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us



_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SunCertPathBuilderException

Mike Thompson
I too am now getting the problem (but am on a corporate network at the moment, will try from home later):

Version 8969

Last change at 2015-10-29 22:15:23 +0100 (Thu, 29 Oct 2015)

Java Version 1.8.0_65     

Windows 7


On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 3:58 PM, Greg Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:


Checking the certificate[1] via a web browser says that the certificate for https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/StartupPage is valid 
I get the same results from a web browser as you, it is valid.

 

If the issue is a proxy problem as Mike pointed out, then I recall that you have to add -Dhttp.proxyHost=yourProxyURL to your JOSM arguments before you can change the proxy settings in your preferences.
That is correct, but if web traffic is being filtered I don't think there is anything that can be done within JOSM to fix the problem.  The problem for me in the past has been that the filter returned a response like "are you sure you want to go to xyz.com", which normally in a browser would be displayed and you would have an opportunity to say "yes", but JOSM didn't know what to do with that response, hence the error.  That isn't the problem for me today as I can go to josm.openstreetmap.de (and directly to its IP address) without a warning from a browser.

Mike

_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SunCertPathBuilderException

Steve Friedl

Me too! Me too!

 

I’ve been using 9092 from home for several days, and it started fine this morning, but now it’s objecting.

 

I’m on a stable home network with a quality commercial firewall and no proxies.  Win 7

 

Steve

 

From: Mike Thompson [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2015 3:24 PM
To: Greg Morgan <[hidden email]>
Cc: Alan Bragg <[hidden email]>; [hidden email] Openstreetmap <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Talk-us] SunCertPathBuilderException

 

I too am now getting the problem (but am on a corporate network at the moment, will try from home later):

Version 8969

Last change at 2015-10-29 22:15:23 +0100 (Thu, 29 Oct 2015)

Java Version 1.8.0_65     

Windows 7

 

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 3:58 PM, Greg Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:

 

Checking the certificate[1] via a web browser says that the certificate for https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/StartupPage is valid 

I get the same results from a web browser as you, it is valid.

 

 

 

If the issue is a proxy problem as Mike pointed out, then I recall that you have to add -Dhttp.proxyHost=yourProxyURL to your JOSM arguments before you can change the proxy settings in your preferences.

That is correct, but if web traffic is being filtered I don't think there is anything that can be done within JOSM to fix the problem.  The problem for me in the past has been that the filter returned a response like "are you sure you want to go to xyz.com", which normally in a browser would be displayed and you would have an opportunity to say "yes", but JOSM didn't know what to do with that response, hence the error.  That isn't the problem for me today as I can go to josm.openstreetmap.de (and directly to its IP address) without a warning from a browser.

 

Mike


_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SunCertPathBuilderException

Clifford Snow
I had the problem and created a bug report. https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/12192

JOSM is running the latest 9117 version. Version 9102 on another machine did not have a problem.

Clifford

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 3:27 PM, Steve Friedl <[hidden email]> wrote:

Me too! Me too!

 

I’ve been using 9092 from home for several days, and it started fine this morning, but now it’s objecting.

 

I’m on a stable home network with a quality commercial firewall and no proxies.  Win 7

 

Steve

 

From: Mike Thompson [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2015 3:24 PM
To: Greg Morgan <[hidden email]>
Cc: Alan Bragg <[hidden email]>; [hidden email] Openstreetmap <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Talk-us] SunCertPathBuilderException

 

I too am now getting the problem (but am on a corporate network at the moment, will try from home later):

Version 8969

Last change at 2015-10-29 22:15:23 +0100 (Thu, 29 Oct 2015)

Java Version 1.8.0_65     

Windows 7

 

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 3:58 PM, Greg Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:

 

Checking the certificate[1] via a web browser says that the certificate for https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/StartupPage is valid 

I get the same results from a web browser as you, it is valid.

 

 

 

If the issue is a proxy problem as Mike pointed out, then I recall that you have to add -Dhttp.proxyHost=yourProxyURL to your JOSM arguments before you can change the proxy settings in your preferences.

That is correct, but if web traffic is being filtered I don't think there is anything that can be done within JOSM to fix the problem.  The problem for me in the past has been that the filter returned a response like "are you sure you want to go to xyz.com", which normally in a browser would be displayed and you would have an opportunity to say "yes", but JOSM didn't know what to do with that response, hence the error.  That isn't the problem for me today as I can go to josm.openstreetmap.de (and directly to its IP address) without a warning from a browser.

 

Mike


_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us




--
@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SunCertPathBuilderException

Blake Girardot
Hi all,

The change that Dirk thinks caused this issue has been reverted so this
problem and error should be fixed for now.

Cheers,
Blake


On 12/15/2015 12:38 AM, Clifford Snow wrote:

> I had the problem and created a bug report.
> https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/12192
>
> JOSM is running the latest 9117 version. Version 9102 on another machine
> did not have a problem.
>
> Clifford
>
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 3:27 PM, Steve Friedl <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Me too! Me too!____
>
>     __ __
>
>     I’ve been using 9092 from home for several days, and it started fine
>     this morning, but now it’s objecting. ____
>
>     __ __
>
>     I’m on a stable home network with a quality commercial firewall and
>     no proxies.  Win 7____
>
>     __ __
>
>     Steve____
>
>     __ __
>
>     *From:*Mike Thompson [mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>]
>     *Sent:* Monday, December 14, 2015 3:24 PM
>     *To:* Greg Morgan <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     *Cc:* Alan Bragg <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>; [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]> Openstreetmap
>     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     *Subject:* Re: [Talk-us] SunCertPathBuilderException____
>
>     __ __
>
>     I too am now getting the problem (but am on a corporate network at
>     the moment, will try from home later):____
>
>     Version 8969 ____
>
>     Last change at 2015-10-29 22:15:23 +0100 (Thu, 29 Oct 2015) ____
>
>     Java Version 1.8.0_65 ____
>
>     Windows 7____
>
>     __ __
>
>     On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 3:58 PM, Greg Morgan <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:____
>
>         __ __
>
>         Checking the certificate[1] via a web browser says that the
>         certificate for
>         https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/StartupPage is valid ____
>
>     I get the same results from a web browser as you, it is valid.____
>
>     __ __
>
>     ____
>
>         __ __
>
>         If the issue is a proxy problem as Mike pointed out, then I
>         recall that you have to add -Dhttp.proxyHost=yourProxyURL to
>         your JOSM arguments before you can change the proxy settings in
>         your preferences.____
>
>     That is correct, but if web traffic is being filtered I don't think
>     there is anything that can be done within JOSM to fix the problem.
>     The problem for me in the past has been that the filter returned a
>     response like "are you sure you want to go to xyz.com
>     <http://xyz.com>", which normally in a browser would be displayed
>     and you would have an opportunity to say "yes", but JOSM didn't know
>     what to do with that response, hence the error.  That isn't the
>     problem for me today as I can go to josm.openstreetmap.de
>     <http://josm.openstreetmap.de> (and directly to its IP address)
>     without a warning from a browser.____
>
>     __ __
>
>     Mike____
>
>
>     _______________________________________________
>     Talk-us mailing list
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
>
>
>
>
> --
> @osm_seattle
> osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us <http://osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us>
> OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-us mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
>

_______________________________________________
Talk-us mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us