Survey date

Martin Wynne
I'm minded to start adding

  survey:date=

to some of my mapping (if you can call climbing over a stile surveying
it). I've noticed on repeat visits that things do change quite a lot,
and I can't guarantee to go back and keep everything I map up to date.

But I'm puzzled by the wiki, which says:

"This key should only be used when providing the survey date would be of
some value to the OSM community, for example if the survey date occurred
a reasonable amount of time in the past."

Surely end users of the map are just as likely to want to check the date
of something shown on the map as the "OSM community", which I assume
means mappers?

And what is a "reasonable amount of time in the past", and starting from
when? It doesn't make sense. If I survey and map something now, and it
is still on the map in 10 years time, I need to have put the date on it now.

cheers,

Martin.

Re: Survey date

Chris Hill-6
Every changeset has a date automatically added to it, if your survey is
much earlier than the data you make the edit maybe it's worth noting the
difference.

cheers
Chris Hill (chillly)

On 10/03/2019 21:24, Martin Wynne wrote:

> I'm minded to start adding
>
>  survey:date=
>
> to some of my mapping (if you can call climbing over a stile surveying
> it). I've noticed on repeat visits that things do change quite a lot,
> and I can't guarantee to go back and keep everything I map up to date.
>
> But I'm puzzled by the wiki, which says:
>
> "This key should only be used when providing the survey date would be
> of some value to the OSM community, for example if the survey date
> occurred a reasonable amount of time in the past."
>
> Surely end users of the map are just as likely to want to check the
> date of something shown on the map as the "OSM community", which I
> assume means mappers?
>
> And what is a "reasonable amount of time in the past", and starting
> from when? It doesn't make sense. If I survey and map something now,
> and it is still on the map in 10 years time, I need to have put the
> date on it now.
>
> cheers,
>
> Martin. --

Re: Survey date

Great Britain mailing list
Changesets have a timestamp attached (the time when you hit upload in the editor, I guess), so the community (other mappers and data consumers) can usually assume that the survey date is more or less the same as the changeset timestamp.

Adding survey date would be redundant unless it's more than a day, week, etc (depending on area) before you got around to editing and uploading and the area could have changed in the meantime.

Cheers Ed

On 10/03/2019 21:33, Edward Catmur wrote:
> Changesets have a timestamp attached (the time when you hit upload in the
> editor, I guess), so the community (other mappers and data consumers) can
> usually assume that the survey date is more or less the same as the
> changeset timestamp.

Thanks. But a changeset could contain several dozen different items, not
all of which have been surveyed at the same time, or even surveyed at all.

For example I might add a footbridge over a stream. The footbridge would
have been freshly surveyed, but the course of the stream I would most
likely trace from OS OpenData StreetView in the iD editor.

My thought was to add the physical date to each separate item, the date
I crossed or photographed the bridge or whatever, regardless of when I
added it to OSM. It might be only a day or two later, or it might be a
few months later.

cheers,

Martin.

Re: Survey date

Great Britain mailing list
Yes, that would be fine. You might also consider breaking up the edit into multiple uploads each with an appropriate source tag - this may be a bit tricky depending on which editor you use, though.

On 11/03/19 09:02, Martin Wynne wrote:

> On 10/03/2019 21:33, Edward Catmur wrote:
>> Changesets have a timestamp attached (the time when you hit upload in
>> the
>> editor, I guess), so the community (other mappers and data consumers)
>> can
>> usually assume that the survey date is more or less the same as the
>> changeset timestamp.
>
> Thanks. But a changeset could contain several dozen different items,
> not all of which have been surveyed at the same time, or even surveyed
> at all.
>
> For example I might add a footbridge over a stream. The footbridge
> would have been freshly surveyed, but the course of the stream I would
> most likely trace from OS OpenData StreetView in the iD editor.
>
> My thought was to add the physical date to each separate item, the
> date I crossed or photographed the bridge or whatever, regardless of
> when I added it to OSM. It might be only a day or two later, or it
> might be a few months later.

Being lazy .. I tend to add date stuff (if I can be bothered) to the
source tag. Particularly where the change set uses multiple sources. Two
birds one stone.
If someone changes it - they should also change the source tag, and that
change is rare.