Sydney mapathon

Dion Moult
Good morning all!

I recently had a chat with Ritva from WSP in Brisbane, who told me how they organised mapathons as part of the missing maps initiative in Brisbane.

I was inspired by this and checked the upcoming events page on missing maps (http://www.missingmaps.org/events/) but did not see any events listed in the Sydney region (did I miss something perhaps?)

I'm wondering if there are any other Sydneysiders who are keen on a mapathon, and if there are any experienced Sydney mappers who can help lead such a mapathon and guide newcomers (I find that I am quite uncertain when mapping things on HOTOSM Tasks, due to the non-city like nature of the satellite images). I think there will be some the architecture company I work at who would be interested in participating, and although I can't speak for WSP, they have a Sydney branch who I assume might be interested in joining. I can help organise things like venue and catering.

Thoughts? Volunteers?

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Re: Sydney mapathon

David Wales
Hi Dion,

I would be interested in participating.
I don't know of I count as experienced, but I'm happy to help any newbies!

Regards,
David Wales

On 11 March 2019 8:05:58 am AEDT, Dion Moult <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Phil Wyatt

There are also a few folks in NSW on the Maptime Oceania Slack channel – maybe jump on there as well if you need some assistance.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdblsyijB0WB9PYZw6EdVUAyaiNRFeWoNimi3haasGRPi6TVQ/viewform

Re: Sydney mapathon

Edoardo Neerhut
Hi Dion,

Glad to hear interest in some Missing Maps mapping in Sydney.

We've run quite a few humanitarian events in Melbourne now and one thing that really helped was getting on board a relevant partner. In our case, The Global Health Alliance Melbourne has assisted by providing a venue, helping to promote, and bringing on board partner institutions who can give insights into some of the places we're mapping remotely.

There are probably a lot of international NGOs with offices in Sydney who would love to participate.

As Phil said, happy to chat over Slack and bounce ideas.

Cheers,

Ed

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 at 09:47, Phil Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:

There are also a few folks in NSW on the Maptime Oceania Slack channel – maybe jump on there as well if you need some assistance.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdblsyijB0WB9PYZw6EdVUAyaiNRFeWoNimi3haasGRPi6TVQ/viewform

Re: Sydney mapathon

Dion Moult
Thanks! I've submitted the slack form and will wait for an email perhaps to be invited into the channel.

I'm not personally aware of NGOs in the area but I'll ask around. It sounds like a great idea !

See you on slack when I get invited !