Sydney mapathon

Sebastian S.
Hello Dion,
Hello all,

I am also interested in a mapathon as well as connecting with other
mappers on the Northern Beaches.

With regards to experience I am not sure where I should place myself.
Have mapped a few things but I'm learning something new most days.

Regards,
Sebastian

Re: Sydney mapathon

Dion Moult
Thanks for all the responses!

Interested people in joining:
- Dion Moult (myself)
- David Anderson (coworker at HDR)
- David Wales
- Sebastian

Currently Ritva is helping contact EWB to see if they are interested in running one in Sydney (as Engineers Without Borders is helping run one in Brisbane)

We are in need of an experienced mapper who can guide us in cases of uncertainty :)

I wonder, if prior to a larger event we are keen to simply just meet up casually for a weekend afternoon somewhere in Sydney and do some mapping together to see how we fare? If things work out well that might give us a bit of confidence to grow the group and do it a bit more regularly :)

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

On 11 Mar. 2019, 5:08 pm, Sebastian < [hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Dion,
Hello all,

I am also interested in a mapathon as well as connecting with other
mappers on the Northern Beaches.

With regards to experience I am not sure where I should place myself.
Have mapped a few things but I'm learning something new most days.

Regards,
Sebastian

Re: Sydney mapathon

David Wales
Hi Dion,

I would be happy to meet up for an afternoon of mapping.
Saturdays are usually best for me.

Regards,
David Wales

On 15/3/19 11:26 am, Dion Moult wrote:

> Thanks for all the responses!
>
> Interested people in joining:
> - Dion Moult (myself)
> - David Anderson (coworker at HDR)
> - David Wales
> - Sebastian
>
> Currently Ritva is helping contact EWB to see if they are interested in
> running one in Sydney (as Engineers Without Borders is helping run one
> in Brisbane)
>
> We are in need of an experienced mapper who can guide us in cases of
> uncertainty :)
>
> I wonder, if prior to a larger event we are keen to simply just meet up
> casually for a weekend afternoon somewhere in Sydney and do some mapping
> together to see how we fare? If things work out well that might give us
> a bit of confidence to grow the group and do it a bit more regularly :)
>
> Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Re: Sydney mapathon

Phil Wyatt

Hi Folks,

Whilst I am not in Sydney, I am always keen to be part of an organised mapathon. I also notice there is an EWB project in Timor-Leste that was started some months ago. Maybe that could be resurrected as part of the mapathon.

https://tasks.hotosm.org/project/1210

Cheers – Phil (Tassie)

Re: Sydney mapathon

Sebastian S.
I would also be interested in a Meetup.
During the week after 19:00/19:30 or Saturday.

What is a suitable location? Ideally it would be close to public transport (and on the northern beaches :-D )
Regards Sebastian

On 15 March 2019 12:31:21 pm AEDT, David Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
Talk-au mailing list

Re: Sydney mapathon

Ben Kelley-4
So, a thought: We have at least a couple of OSM mappers at my workplace.

I may be able to organise an evening with tables & wifi. (No promises on refreshments.)

My office is in Sydney CBD in George St. (Close to Wynyard and Martin Place stations.)

If people are interested I can investigate further.

 - Ben Kelley.

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 16:58, Andrew Harvey <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hey Ben! Thanks for the option!

I'm going to tentatively suggest meeting this Saturday, 23rd March, say after lunch, so 2:30pm? Just for a very informal mapping session to see how things go, doesn't have to be a large crowd or anything?

Ben, do you think it will be possible for us to use your office at that time? I do not have a laptop, so I'm not sure if computers can be used, or if that is against company policy?

My company in North Sydney, walking distance from the train station, offers wifi, but although I've started asking internally, there is a little red tape before they might say yes to anything like providing refreshments and allowing strangers in the office. Although I think they might support this.

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Re: Sydney mapathon

Ben Kelley-4
Practically it will probably need to be a weekday evening, as we are not
open on the weekend.

Also it will need to be a time I can make it. :)

  - Ben Kelley

--
Ben Kelley
[hidden email]

Re: Sydney mapathon

David Wales
Hi Ben and Dion,

Saturdays are normally good, but I'm moving house on the 23rd!
So if that's the date, I won't be able to make it.

Regards,
David Wales

On 18/3/19 1:29 pm, Ben Kelley wrote:

> Practically it will probably need to be a weekday evening, as we are not
> open on the weekend.
>
> Also it will need to be a time I can make it. :)
>

>  - Ben Kelley
>
> On 18/3/19 13:03, Dion Moult wrote:
>> Hey Ben! Thanks for the option!
>>
>> I'm going to tentatively suggest meeting this Saturday, 23rd March,
>> say after lunch, so 2:30pm? Just for a very informal mapping session
>> to see how things go, doesn't have to be a large crowd or anything?
>>
>> Ben, do you think it will be possible for us to use your office at
>> that time? I do not have a laptop, so I'm not sure if computers can be
>> used, or if that is against company policy?
>>
>> My company in North Sydney, walking distance from the train station,
>> offers wifi, but although I've started asking internally, there is a
>> little red tape before they might say yes to anything like providing
>> refreshments and allowing strangers in the office. Although I think
>> they might support this.
>>
>> Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Re: Sydney mapathon

Dion Moult
Hey all! I've started an event here: https://gettogether.community/events/1001/sydney-osm-mappers/

If you could sign up or comment there I can change the venue and time easily without spamming the talk-au list. I've changed the date to 30th March Saturday . it would also allow me to know who is coming and what to cater for if we get food.

My company in north sydney is open on weekends and I've received approval for using computers and guest WiFi. Also informal approval for getting pizza and drinks (non alcoholic).

Need a bit more approval from management to let strangers in the office (I will be liable, obviously) but I suspect I can host.

On 18 Mar. 2019, 2:34 pm, David Wales < [hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Ben and Dion,

Saturdays are normally good, but I'm moving house on the 23rd!
So if that's the date, I won't be able to make it.

Regards,
David Wales

On 18/3/19 1:29 pm, Ben Kelley wrote:
> Practically it will probably need to be a weekday evening, as we are not
> open on the weekend.
>
> Also it will need to be a time I can make it. :)
>

>  - Ben Kelley
>
> On 18/3/19 13:03, Dion Moult wrote:
>> Hey Ben! Thanks for the option!
>>
>> I'm going to tentatively suggest meeting this Saturday, 23rd March,
>> say after lunch, so 2:30pm? Just for a very informal mapping session
>> to see how things go, doesn't have to be a large crowd or anything?
>>
>> Ben, do you think it will be possible for us to use your office at
>> that time? I do not have a laptop, so I'm not sure if computers can be
>> used, or if that is against company policy?
>>
>> My company in North Sydney, walking distance from the train station,
>> offers wifi, but although I've started asking internally, there is a
>> little red tape before they might say yes to anything like providing
>> refreshments and allowing strangers in the office. Although I think
>> they might support this.
>>
>> Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Re: Sydney mapathon

Andrew Harvey-3
> Casual meetup of Sydney based OSM mappers, let's meet up and do some humanitarian mapping tasks on HOTOSM!

Dion, is the intention to be a local OSM meetup + a Missing Maps (http://www.missingmaps.org) style humanitarian mapathon?

Should I come if I'm interested in Australian OSM, but not interested in remote mapping outside Australia?

There's been two Missing Maps events in the past in Sydney that I know of and both times almost all attendees were new to OSM, so it didn't act as a local community meetup.

I'm very interested in a Sydney OSM event for locals to catch up about all things OSM. I think a mix of presentations + social is perfect, like GeoRabble, https://georabble.org. I see that as a bit different to a mapathon, which is a bit of into followed by actual hands on work.

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 at 19:08, Dion Moult <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey all! I've started an event here: https://gettogether.community/events/1001/sydney-osm-mappers/

If you could sign up or comment there I can change the venue and time easily without spamming the talk-au list. I've changed the date to 30th March Saturday . it would also allow me to know who is coming and what to cater for if we get food.

My company in north sydney is open on weekends and I've received approval for using computers and guest WiFi. Also informal approval for getting pizza and drinks (non alcoholic).

Need a bit more approval from management to let strangers in the office (I will be liable, obviously) but I suspect I can host.

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

On 18 Mar. 2019, 2:34 pm, David Wales < [hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Ben and Dion,

Saturdays are normally good, but I'm moving house on the 23rd!
So if that's the date, I won't be able to make it.

Regards,
David Wales

On 18/3/19 1:29 pm, Ben Kelley wrote:
> Practically it will probably need to be a weekday evening, as we are not
> open on the weekend.
>
> Also it will need to be a time I can make it. :)
>

>  - Ben Kelley
>
> On 18/3/19 13:03, Dion Moult wrote:
>> Hey Ben! Thanks for the option!
>>
>> I'm going to tentatively suggest meeting this Saturday, 23rd March,
>> say after lunch, so 2:30pm? Just for a very informal mapping session
>> to see how things go, doesn't have to be a large crowd or anything?
>>
>> Ben, do you think it will be possible for us to use your office at
>> that time? I do not have a laptop, so I'm not sure if computers can be
>> used, or if that is against company policy?
>>
>> My company in North Sydney, walking distance from the train station,
>> offers wifi, but although I've started asking internally, there is a
>> little red tape before they might say yes to anything like providing
>> refreshments and allowing strangers in the office. Although I think
>> they might support this.
>>
>> Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Re: Sydney mapathon

Dion Moult
Hi Andrew,

I'm not entirely sure what we might get up to. I'm keen for some hands on work, and it'd be good to double up as a local meetup if one doesn't already exist. I'm sure we all love to map locally too, so please do come if you can :)

A mix of presentations does sound really good. Maybe not for the first meet up, but perhaps for subsequent ones?

On 20 Mar. 2019, 4:31 pm, Andrew Harvey < [hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> open on the weekend.
>
> Also it will need to be a time I can make it. :)
>

>  - Ben Kelley
>
> On 18/3/19 13:03, Dion Moult wrote:
>> Hey Ben! Thanks for the option!
>>
>> I'm going to tentatively suggest meeting this Saturday, 23rd March,
>> say after lunch, so 2:30pm? Just for a very informal mapping session
>> to see how things go, doesn't have to be a large crowd or anything?
>>
>> Ben, do you think it will be possible for us to use your office at
>> that time? I do not have a laptop, so I'm not sure if computers can be
>> used, or if that is against company policy?
>>
>> My company in North Sydney, walking distance from the train station,
>> offers wifi, but although I've started asking internally, there is a
>> little red tape before they might say yes to anything like providing
>> refreshments and allowing strangers in the office. Although I think

Since I'm new to the area I would firstly like to meet other mappers from OZ and put a face to a name.
Secondly my interest is then onto mapping OZ because this is where I'm as a user and data consumer. I'm open to HOT and missing maps etc but it is not at the top of my list.
I would not expect talks at a first meeting, likely we'll end up chatting and the 2 hours will be gone in a whiff.

Cheers Sebastian