Sync time in OSM file

Developer Discussion mailing list
Hi Team,

I've added few roads via openstreetmap.org manually. I wanted to know how much time does it take to reflect this change into India's PBF file. I use  https://download.geofabrik.de/asia/india.html to download the file.

Also, what is the difference in sync time when I choose "Allow for review" after I add a new road?

Ajay Singh

Re: Sync time in OSM file

Gerd Petermann
I think the pbf extracts from geofabrik are typically updated once per day. If you want to keep such an extract up to date you should look at the
diffs, see also https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmupdate

Not sure what is meant with "Allow for review", I assume it is a tag that is set in the changeset.
This tag means that other mappers should review your change, it has no influence on the sync time, and AFAIK there is no guarantee that this review will ever happen.

Gerd

Re: Sync time in OSM file

Developer Discussion mailing list
Thanks, Gerd. That was helpful.
This OSMupdate keep my local copy in sync with OSM file services, e.g. geofabrik.de. but these file services will themselves take one day to update them with changes done in openstreetmap.org. Am I right?

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 12:41 PM Gerd Petermann <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think the pbf extracts from geofabrik are typically updated once per day. If you want to keep such an extract up to date you should look at the
diffs, see also https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmupdate

Not sure what is meant with "Allow for review", I assume it is a tag that is set in the changeset.
This tag means that other mappers should review your change, it has no influence on the sync time, and AFAIK there is no guarantee that this review will ever happen.

Gerd

Re: Sync time in OSM file

Gerd Petermann
My understanding is that geofabrik keeps a copy of the OSM database. I don't know what tools they use to keep that database in sync with OSM and
what exactly is done to create the extracts. Osmupdate is a tool which allows to update an extract with the diffs. You probably don't get exactly the same results
but for many purposes it works fine.

Gerd

I've added few roads via openstreetmap.org<http://openstreetmap.org><http://openstreetmap.org> manually. I wanted to know how much time does it take to reflect this change into India's PBF file. I use  https://download.geofabrik.de/asia/india.html to download the file.

Also, what is the difference in sync time when I choose "Allow for review" after I add a new road?

Ajay Singh

Ajay Singh

Re: Sync time in OSM file

Mateusz Konieczny-3
30 May 2019, 08:44 by [hidden email]:
Also, what is the difference in sync time when I choose "Allow for review" after I add a new road?
None, in both cases edits are immediately saved into database and distributed
(it would be phrased better as "Request review of my edits" - which editor is using
"Allow for review" phrase? Anybody may review any edits).

Re: Sync time in OSM file

Gerd Petermann
Developer Discussion mailing list wrote
> So, osmupdate will update my local copy with changes done in
> openstreetmap.org and I can ignore geofabric's copy as of now, right?

I think so, please try it.

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Developer-Discussion-f5233107.html

Re: Sync time in OSM file

wambacher

Am 30.05.19 um 09:40 schrieb Ajay Singh1 via dev:
So, osmupdate will update my local copy with changes done in openstreetmap.org and I can ignore geofabric's copy as of now, right?

Don't forget to use the -B option (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmupdate#Applying_Geographical_Borders), otherwise your local data will get bigger and bigger because of worldwide data being added.

Walter

Re: Sync time in OSM file

Developer Discussion mailing list
Thanks for the clarification.