TIGER extra tags - what do we do with them?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

TIGER extra tags - what do we do with them?

Sebastian Arcus-2
I've been doing a bit of mapping in the US recently, and stumbled over
lots of ways imported from the TIGER database. The wiki page deals with
when to remove the tiger:reviewed tag. However, it doesn't mention what
should be done with the other tags, such as tiger:county,
tiger:zip_left, tiger:zip_right etc.? Do they get left as they are? Are
we supposed to convert them to something else? Are they useful to OSM in
some way?

Thanks

_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TIGER extra tags - what do we do with them?

Mike N.
On 1/5/2014 8:13 AM, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
> I've been doing a bit of mapping in the US recently, and stumbled over
> lots of ways imported from the TIGER database. The wiki page deals with
> when to remove the tiger:reviewed tag. However, it doesn't mention what
> should be done with the other tags, such as tiger:county,
> tiger:zip_left, tiger:zip_right etc.? Do they get left as they are? Are
> we supposed to convert them to something else? Are they useful to OSM in
> some way?

If you're using JOSM, there is no need to worry about them.  Some TIGER
tags which we have since found to be unnecessary are automatically
removed.

   Even on any editor, there is no need to remove tags manually.  (they
may already do the same thing JOSM does).

   I personally find the tiger:county and tiger:zip* to be useful when
performing research or armchair maproulette-style challenges, or even
regional OSM Note / bug investigation: it tells me where the feature in
question is located.   I'm sure that there are other tools that could
give me the same from Lat/Lon, but it would take an extra step.

   The proper use of is_in* hurts my head to think about, so I've never
tried converting them to something else.



_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TIGER extra tags - what do we do with them?

Richard Welty-2
In reply to this post by Sebastian Arcus-2
On 1/5/14 8:13 AM, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
> I've been doing a bit of mapping in the US recently, and stumbled over
> lots of ways imported from the TIGER database. The wiki page deals
> with when to remove the tiger:reviewed tag. However, it doesn't
> mention what should be done with the other tags, such as tiger:county,
> tiger:zip_left, tiger:zip_right etc.? Do they get left as they are?
> Are we supposed to convert them to something else? Are they useful to
> OSM in some way?
many are not, and several are now automagically being deleted by
editors.

i would delete the tiger:*name* tags when name and ref tags have
been reviewed and set correctly. i tend to leave tiger:county as it
can be a helpful hint in doing other types of mapping work (e.g.,
when building county route relations it can help you recognize that
you've reached the boundary.)  i'm not sure if anyone cares what
the tiger:zip* tags are. in theory they can be a useful part of
addressing, in practice they're kind of a mess.

tiger:separated should just be chucked, it has to do with dual
carriageways but doesn't tell you anything you can't figure out
from bing imagery.

tiger:tlid is useful in theory but not in practice.

richard



_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies

signature.asc (965 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TIGER extra tags - what do we do with them?

Sebastian Arcus-2
In reply to this post by Mike N.

On 05/01/14 14:32, Mike N wrote:

> On 1/5/2014 8:13 AM, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
>> I've been doing a bit of mapping in the US recently, and stumbled over
>> lots of ways imported from the TIGER database. The wiki page deals with
>> when to remove the tiger:reviewed tag. However, it doesn't mention what
>> should be done with the other tags, such as tiger:county,
>> tiger:zip_left, tiger:zip_right etc.? Do they get left as they are? Are
>> we supposed to convert them to something else? Are they useful to OSM in
>> some way?
>
> If you're using JOSM, there is no need to worry about them.  Some
> TIGER tags which we have since found to be unnecessary are
> automatically removed.
>
>   Even on any editor, there is no need to remove tags manually. (they
> may already do the same thing JOSM does).
>
>   I personally find the tiger:county and tiger:zip* to be useful when
> performing research or armchair maproulette-style challenges, or even
> regional OSM Note / bug investigation: it tells me where the feature
> in question is located.   I'm sure that there are other tools that
> could give me the same from Lat/Lon, but it would take an extra step.
>
>   The proper use of is_in* hurts my head to think about, so I've never
> tried converting them to something else.

Thanks Richard and Mike. It sounds like the thing to do is to leave them
alone. I use JOSM but didn't realise that it deletes some of the tags
automatically.


_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TIGER extra tags - what do we do with them?

Richard Welty-2
On 1/5/14 2:49 PM, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
>
> Thanks Richard and Mike. It sounds like the thing to do is to leave
> them alone. I use JOSM but didn't realise that it deletes some of the
> tags automatically.
the editor deletion thing is comparatively new. it's preferable
to mass deletions which contribute to database bloat as it
only modifies objects that were already going to be modified.

richard



_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies

signature.asc (965 bytes) Download Attachment