TIGER fixup for Hurricane Harvey potential impact areas

TIGER fixup for Hurricane Harvey potential impact areas

Brian May
Calling all TIGER fixup junkies. I've been poking around the coastal
areas of Texas where Hurricane Harvey is expected to make landfall and
seeing a lot of TIGER fixup needed. More and more websites depend on OSM
so it would be nice to provide more accurate and updated info than what
is there now. Maps and GIS are going to be heavily relied on especially
after the storm.

Common issues:

- Streets that aren't there

- Tracks marked as residential. Many tracks are barely visible or edges
of farms and should be deleted.

- Driveways marked as residential streets (should be service).

- Streets needing realignment.

- Streets not connecting properly.

An interesting site using OSM is https://livestormchasing.com/map

Storm chaser locations are shown on OSM in real time and there are video
feeds from some of them. So that means you can get real time video of
what the ground looks like! Lots of flooding already happening along the
coast.

Brian aka grouper

Re: TIGER fixup for Hurricane Harvey potential impact areas

Greg Morgan

On Aug 25, 2017 1:59 PM, "Brian May" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Calling all TIGER fixup junkies. I've been poking around the coastal areas of Texas where Hurricane Harvey is expected to make landfall and seeing a lot of TIGER fixup needed. More and more websites depend on OSM so it would be nice to provide more accurate and updated info than what is there now. Maps and GIS are going to be heavily relied on especially after the storm.

I find it interesting that US is called on to save the world. Will there be a HOT activating for Texas? Will we get any new imagery for the area? Are local agencies so well prepared that there is no need to use OSM?

Re: TIGER fixup for Hurricane Harvey potential impact areas

Ian Dees
On Aug 26, 2017 00:10, "Greg Morgan" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Aug 25, 2017 1:59 PM, "Brian May" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Calling all TIGER fixup junkies. I've been poking around the coastal areas of Texas where Hurricane Harvey is expected to make landfall and seeing a lot of TIGER fixup needed. More and more websites depend on OSM so it would be nice to provide more accurate and updated info than what is there now. Maps and GIS are going to be heavily relied on especially after the storm.

I find it interesting that US is called on to save the world. Will there be a HOT activating for Texas? Will we get any new imagery for the area? Are local agencies so well prepared that there is no need to use OSM?

Basically, yes. Part of your tax dollars go to building rather extensive geospatial datasets for situations just like this. It's always helpful to improve OSM data, but the best use of our time will probably be in digitizing post-event imagery when it becomes available.

Re: TIGER fixup for Hurricane Harvey potential impact areas

Brian May
There is now a task in the OSM Task Manager to help coordinate the effort at http://tasks.openstreetmap.us/project/104

There is also a WMS layer of Texas statewide streets available at http://maps.mapwise.com/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=maps/fmo-base-osm-texas.map& - use that URL in JOSM.

Adding WMS layer to JOSM tutorial here: http://learnosm.org/en/josm/josm-adding-imagery/

The streets are from: https://tnris.org/data-catalog/entry/txdot-roadways/

Brian

On 8/25/2017 10:02 PM, Hans De Kryger wrote:
[...]

Clifford Snow
Brian if I may - adding transparent=true on to the end of the URL will allow the street layer to be transparent so satelite imagery can be used along with the streets.

After selecting the layer using the Get Layers, change the image from image/jpeg to image/png

Then you are good to go.

Clifford

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Brian May <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: TIGER fixup for Hurricane Harvey potential impact areas

Brian May
Cliff,

Thanks for pointing out the png issue. If you choose png format, JOSM will automatically make it transparent, because it adds transparent=true to the generated WMS URL. And best to choose image/png; mode=8bit to reduce the size of the image generated on the server, which helps with speed on slow connections.

Also, if anyone has suggestions on the styling, please chime in. The labels are a bit large, but they stand out.

Brian