TMR Road Centerlines dataset

Andrew Harvey-3
I just got the permission waiver for the QLD Transport and Main Roads
surveyed centerline dataset, they've only approved this one dataset
for now, with the possibility to follow up about additional datasets.

http://qldspatial.information.qld.gov.au/catalogue/custom/detail.page?fid={72214D6B-3284-4DCA-8890-CB30111EF490}

You'll need to click through that link twice for it to work.

I started this process since the OSMF published it's view on CC BY
data in OSM requiring the waiver, and my view that the current
permission at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Attribution/qld.data.gov.au_explicit_permission
isn't sufficient per the OSMF's view.

Anyway, it's only the state controlled roads, not all roads so it's
not that extensive. I did some brief comparison it and there was at
least one place where it was better than what's in OSM currently
(geometry).

A lot of road names don't always match up, but I trust what's in OSM
currently more. I think the names in this dataset are more likely for
the routes not the streets.

Re: TMR Road Centerlines dataset

Nicholas G Lawrence
Yay!

Re: TMR Road Centerlines dataset

Joel H.-2
Thats pretty cool, I might compare a few of these roads.

On 15/11/18 9:25 pm, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> I did some brief comparison it and there was at
> least one place where it was better than what's in OSM currently
> (geometry).

I find the a geometry of the government data to be less straight and
more jittery, the OSM data is perfectly OK in these cases. I have seen
some rough geometry in OSM, but I think the best thing to do is to use
GPX and make it ourselves. Could you please give me the name of the road
where geometry on this dataset was better? I would like to take a look.

On 15/11/18 9:25 pm, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> A lot of road names don't always match up, but I trust what's in OSM
> currently more. I think the names in this dataset are more likely for
> the routes not the streets.

I'm noticing that the dashes seem to be missing on a lot of country
roads, I feel like we should trust OSM more but...

In OSM we have: Esk Hampton Road

In QSC we have: Esk - Hampton Road

Esk and Hampton are town names so a dash makes sense. What does everyone
think?

I think I'm going to make a page for this dataset on the wiki where we
can point out OSM roads with rough geometry and use QSC and GPX to
correct them.

Re: TMR Road Centerlines dataset

Graeme Fitzpatrick

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 at 11:29, Joel H. <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm noticing that the dashes seem to be missing on a lot of country
roads, I feel like we should trust OSM more but...

In OSM we have: Esk Hampton Road

In QSC we have: Esk - Hampton Road

Esk and Hampton are town names so a dash makes sense. What does everyone
think?

I was going to agree with you that they should have dashes, Joel, till I've just done some checking!

I had a look at Nerang Murwillumbah Rd & found

http://cityplanmaps.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/CityPlan/ (in case link doesn't work, it's the Gold Coast City Councils City Plan showing 2269 Nerang Murwillumbah Rd)

http://qtopo.dnrm.qld.gov.au/Mobile/ - same thing but QTopo showing Nerang Murwillumbah Rd

So it would appear that they don't have dashes?

Re the "State" roads ...

Is there any way of showing in OSM that "this" is a State road? Could we use an "Operator" tag?

I have sometimes wondered whether arterial roads around our area are Council or TMR controlled, so I know who to complain to!

Thanks

Graeme

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 at 12:29, Joel H. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thats pretty cool, I might compare a few of these roads.
>
> On 15/11/18 9:25 pm, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> > I did some brief comparison it and there was at
> > least one place where it was better than what's in OSM currently
> > (geometry).
>
> I find the a geometry of the government data to be less straight and
> more jittery,

I would say unnecessarily over-sampled.

> the OSM data is perfectly OK in these cases. I have seen
> some rough geometry in OSM, but I think the best thing to do is to use
> GPX and make it ourselves. Could you please give me the name of the road
> where geometry on this dataset was better? I would like to take a look.

https://osmcha.mapbox.com/changesets/64522779/

Original roads were edited in 2013 and imagery all showed this as a
roundabout, as confirmed by the TMR dataset so I updated it from TMR.

> On 15/11/18 9:25 pm, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> I'm noticing that the dashes seem to be missing on a lot of country
> roads, I feel like we should trust OSM more but...
>
> In OSM we have: Esk Hampton Road
>
> In QSC we have: Esk - Hampton Road
>
> Esk and Hampton are town names so a dash makes sense. What does everyone
> think?

If they are signposted with the dash in most cases then I think it's
better to go for consistency and use the dash.

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 at 13:37, Graeme Fitzpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there any way of showing in OSM that "this" is a State road? Could we use an "Operator" tag?
>
> I have sometimes wondered whether arterial roads around our area are Council or TMR controlled, so I know who to complain to!

+1 to the operator tag in this case. In fact that's something we could
use this source for, to add operator=Department of Transport and Main
Roads + operator:wikidata=Q1191482 to all of these roads.

Re: TMR Road Centerlines dataset

Michael-7

Do we have any information as to the capture process, are they all from one run or do they have multiple different runs over the top of each other?

> > the OSM data is perfectly OK in these cases. I have seen some rough
> > geometry in OSM, but I think the best thing to do is to use GPX and
> > make it ourselves. Could you please give me the name of the road where
> > geometry on this dataset was better? I would like to take a look.
>
> https://osmcha.mapbox.com/changesets/64522779/
>
> Original roads were edited in 2013 and imagery all showed this as a roundabout,
> as confirmed by the TMR dataset so I updated it from TMR.
>
> > On 15/11/18 9:25 pm, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> > I'm noticing that the dashes seem to be missing on a lot of country
> > roads, I feel like we should trust OSM more but...
> >
> > In OSM we have: Esk Hampton Road
> >
> > In QSC we have: Esk - Hampton Road
> >
> > Esk and Hampton are town names so a dash makes sense. What does
> > everyone think?
>
> If they are signposted with the dash in most cases then I think it's better to go
> for consistency and use the dash.

The TRC (Council) mapping data also has these road types without dashes, I had a look at a few to see if there was a pattern.

If you want a photo of that particular intersection and signage I might be able to get some tomorrow if the weather is fine.