Table Join and Area calcuate Extension?

Yi Lik Tsang
Hi,

I have recently started trialling uDig as an alternative Desktop GIS, and it seem like a solid and promising product.

But as part of my evaluation, I have come to the conclusion that it is not possible to import an external table (e.g. csv, xls, dbf) into uDig, and then joining the table to a layer via a common field. Can anybody confirm that this is indeed the case, and if so, is there extensions out there that can do this kind of things?

Also, can anybody also tell me that if there are extensions out there that can auto update the Area and length of a feature?

Cheers,

Lik

Re: Table Join and Area calcuate Extension?

Jody Garnett-2
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Yi Lik Tsang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently started trialling uDig as an alternative Desktop GIS, and it
> seem like a solid and promising product.
>
> But as part of my evaluation, I have come to the conclusion that it is not
> possible to import an external table (e.g. csv, xls, dbf) into uDig, and
> then joining the table to a layer via a common field. Can anybody confirm
> that this is indeed the case, and if so, is there extensions out there that
> can do this kind of things?

The facility has recently been added to the library we use (ie
GeoTools) but we have not had the chance/funding to add it to the
application. If you are interested the module is called app-schema
(and is used to gather information into an expected standard output
structure).

An earlier workaround I have personally used is to make a "join"
function that does the "match" and then use the uDig ReShape operation
to perform the join. I did not really consider this a general purpose
solution however.

> Also, can anybody also tell me that if there are extensions out there that
> can auto update the Area and length of a feature?

The ReShapeOperation can calcualte the area / length etc .. see
walk-through 2 for the example. However it is not done automatically.

Jody