Tag:waterway=tidal_channel is Approved!

Joseph Eisenberg
The voting period has ended for
Proposed_features/Tag:waterway=tidal_channel with 17 votes to approve
and none in opposition.

The wiki page for the approved feature is located at
Tag:waterway=tidal_channel:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:waterway%3Dtidal_channel and
I've added the tag to Map Features

If you map areas at the coast, please consider if there are any
waterways in your area that should be tagged as a tidal channel.

These are natural tidal waterways within the coastal marine
environment with bi-directional flow of salty water which depends on
the tides. Such channels form along protected coasts with limited wave
action and a gradual slope, usually within tidal mud flats, salt
marshes or mangroves.

Many are called a "creek", "pill", "slough" or "inlet" locally,
depending on the dialect of English.

In Germany they are called a "Piel" or sometimes a "Loch".
"Priel" is also the name in Catalan, and "Pril" is used in Danish.
"Suatiegeul" or "Kreek" is used in the Netherlands.
If Wikipedia is correct, they may be a "Grau" or perhaps "Crique" in
some dialects of French
"Esterio" might be used in Portugal

Joseph

Re: Tag:waterway=tidal_channel is Approved!

Peter Elderson
Nederland: not Kreek, but Mui. Suatiegeul is officially correct but I have never heard or seen it IRL.

Mvg Peter Elderson