Tagging ATM's

Tac Tacelosky
Should standalone ATM's be tagged as amenity:atm, but ATM's in a bank be

amenity=bank
atm=yes

Or ...?

Thanks,

Tac

Re: Tagging ATM's

Peter Wendorff
Hi Tac.
Tagging an ATM as a osm object (usually as node) is
amenity=atm.

If there's a bank and you do NOT add the atm as a separate node (which
is perfectly valid, too), use - as you wrote yourself

amenity=bank
atm=yes

The probably best thing to do is to tag two objects:

amenity=bank
name="bad bank"
operator="those-who-can't-get-enough"

and as a separate object, probably inside the polygon of the bank above:

amenity=atm
operator="thos-who-can't-get-enough"

regards
Peter

Am 28.05.2013 18:51, schrieb Tac Tacelosky:

> Should standalone ATM's be tagged as amenity:atm, but ATM's in a bank be
>
> amenity=bank
> atm=yes
>
> Or ...?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tac

Re: Tagging ATM's

Tac Tacelosky
I thought the best practice was to define a building as a way, then
put a bank node within the building, and possibly at ATM node as well.
 I guess it could be defined as a relation.

It doesn't appear that there are many ways with amenity=bank, they're
almost always nodes, even though they're almost always in buildings
big enough to justify a way.  I guess it's mostly a matter of how much
data there is on the building footprint.

But if two nodes are also acceptable (ignoring the building way), then
maybe that's the easiest way to go in this case, since ATM's so easily
stand alone, don't have "hours", etc.

Thanks,

Tac

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Peter Wendorff
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> probably inside the polygon of the bank above:

Re: Tagging ATM's

dieterdreist

2013/5/28 Tac Tacelosky <[hidden email]>
I thought the best practice was to define a building as a way, then
put a bank node within the building, and possibly at ATM node as well.
 I guess it could be defined as a relation.

Yes, one option is to do it like this, but generally if something is bigger than "punctual" you better represent it as an area, as this will allow for more precise positioning of the relative positions of the things in respect to each other. It also makes sense to use different objects for the building and the user of the building, as this allows to reduce ambiguity (e.g. otherwise you couldn't tell whether "start_date", "name", "wikipedia", "architect" and many other tags refer to the building or the user (the bank in this case).

To avoid having to duplicate the geometry you can for example create a multipolygon relation for the shop/bank, which has the building as outer member (in the case it occupies the whole building footprint, otherwise you'd have to make it smaller). This technique is also useful in other cases, e.g. if you have a fenced "something" you could tag barrier=fence on the outline, and make a multipolygon relation for the "something" which is in the inside, hence differentiating between the area and the linear object.

It doesn't appear that there are many ways with amenity=bank, they're
almost always nodes, even though they're almost always in buildings
big enough to justify a way.  I guess it's mostly a matter of how much
data there is on the building footprint.

yes, it is easier and quicker to map a node, that's why in the first iteration banks are mostly mapped as nodes, but there are more than 10% ways as well: http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/amenity=bank

cheers,

Re: Tagging ATM's

Pieren
On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer
> yes, it is easier and quicker to map a node, that's why in the first
> iteration banks are mostly mapped as nodes, but there are more than 10% ways
> as well: http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/amenity=bank

And "0.0something"% as relations

Use the building footprint/way only if the whole building is what you
are tagging (e.g. a bank). Otherwise, use a node inside the building
polygon. If ATM is on facade and you know where exactly, you can
attach the node on the building way and tag it as amenity=atm. KISS
principle.

Pieren