Tagging adjacent barriers on a way

Adam Snape
How should we tag a situation where there are different adjacent barriers affecting different users of a highway? These are often used where there is some public access but public vehicular use ifs restricted. To provide some examples:

1.A stile next to a locked vehicular gate (a public footpath goes along an otherwise private track)
2. A locked vehicular gate with adjacent gap for cyclists/pedestrians (A cycle route with a gate allowing maintenance vehicles).
3. A cattle grid on a road, with adjacent gate to allow pedestrians/equestrians to bypass it

In all these cases is it best to divide the highway into separate ways at these points and apply the relevant barriers to the separate ways?

Cheers,

Adam

Re: Tagging adjacent barriers on a way

Philip Barnes
On Sun, 2017-03-12 at 10:50 +0000, Adam Snape wrote:

> How should we tag a situation where there are different
> adjacent barriers affecting different users of a highway? These are
> often used where there is some public access but public vehicular use
> ifs restricted. To provide some examples:
>
> 1.A stile next to a locked vehicular gate (a public footpath goes
> along an otherwise private track)
> 2. A locked vehicular gate with adjacent gap for
> cyclists/pedestrians (A cycle route with a gate allowing maintenance
> vehicles).
> 3. A cattle grid on a road, with adjacent gate to
> allow pedestrians/equestrians to bypass it
>
> In all these cases is it best to divide the highway into separate
> ways at these points and apply the relevant barriers to the separate
> ways?

That is my usual approach, at these points they are separate ways. Then
add the appropriate access tags.

In the case of a cattle grid I would consider the gate as being for
horses, I as a walker tend to walk over the grid, in my nearly 30 years
as a rambler I have never know anyone to open a gate in these cases.

Phil (trigpoint)

Re: Tagging adjacent barriers on a way

Dave F

On 12/03/2017 10:50, Adam Snape wrote:
> In all these cases is it best to divide the highway into separate ways
> at these points and apply the relevant barriers to the separate ways?

This is the best & most detailed way, although I confess if both
barriers are gates, & I'm feeling a bit lazy, I have shown them as one node.
If doing the detailed way, ensure any route relations follow the public
access route.

Cheers
DaveF

---

Re: Tagging adjacent barriers on a way

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 11:28:41 +0000
Philip Barnes <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Philip,

>horses, I as a walker tend to walk over the grid, in my nearly 30 years
>as a rambler I have never know anyone to open a gate in these cases.

Like you, I cross the grid (it takes time to open & close a gate).  I do
know plenty of walkers use the horse/cart gate; not so much for their
own benefit, but for their four-legged fiends.

--
 Regards  _
You criticize us, you say we're sh*t, but we're up here doin' it

Re: Tagging adjacent barriers on a way

Adam Snape
There's also children and people of limited mobility who might not be comfortable walking over the bars. Current British Standards require bypasses for pedestrians and equestrians. Point taken though, we shouldn't tag the cattle grid as foot=no.

On 12 March 2017 at 12:28, Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 11:28:41 +0000
Philip Barnes <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Philip,

> horses, I as a walker tend to walk over the grid, in my nearly 30 years
> as a rambler I have never know anyone to open a gate in these cases.

Like you, I cross the grid (it takes time to open & close a gate).  I do
know plenty of walkers use the horse/cart gate; not so much for their
own benefit, but for their four-legged fiends.

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"