Tagging farmland in the UK

James Derrick
Hi,

For about three years I've been adding field-level detail to
Northumberland spreading out from the main conurbations, into to the
rural network of farms and up into the higher hill areas where I walk
and cycle.

As well as adding field boundaries and farm settlement detail, I've been
adding land use detail, which has just started a discussion with Gregory
(Living with Dragons).

I've been differentiating between cultivated areas mainly ploughed for
crops and areas of grass used to graze animals.

If I understand Gregory's comment (and well accept this may be
incorrect...), the crux seems to be the use of landuse=farmland verses
landuse=meadow.

Can I ask what are you thoughts on (any) difference and best practice
for the UK please?

My interpretation (right or wrong) has been...

landuse=meadow : grassy areas, not regularly ploughed, used for grazing
animals such as cows or sheep.
Evidence on imagery - cows, sheep, lack of tractor compaction tracks,
medieval ridge/ furrow.

landuse=farmland : cultivated areas ploughed for crops such as wheat or
barley.
Evidence on imagery - tractor compaction, ripening wheat, no animals.

This is not a rigorous definition - e.g. a green field of barley without
tractor tramlines could look like an empty field without sheep, but with
local knowledge of cultivation, height, etc., my intention was to show
differences as rich arable lowland areas fade into less fertile higher
ground.

As the altitude rises into the Northumberland National Park, sheep on
grass gradually changes to open moorland, which, whilst you're reading
this, is also worth a sanity check.

landuse = heath : heather, and other low shrubs, formerly burnt but now
cut, high hills

And no, I wasn't avoiding natural = fell as it doesn't render in Mapnik;
there was a lot of existing heath sketched in before I started, so it
seemed best to continue!

Thanks for any advice you can offer (and happy mapping...),

https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/James%20Derrick

James
--
James Derrick
     [hidden email], Cramlington, England

Re: Tagging farmland in the UK

Warin
On 23/05/19 04:52, James Derrick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For about three years I've been adding field-level detail to
> Northumberland spreading out from the main conurbations, into to the
> rural network of farms and up into the higher hill areas where I walk
> and cycle.
>
> As well as adding field boundaries and farm settlement detail, I've
> been adding land use detail, which has just started a discussion with
> Gregory (Living with Dragons).

> I've been differentiating between cultivated areas mainly ploughed for
> crops and areas of grass used to graze animals.
>
> If I understand Gregory's comment (and well accept this may be
> incorrect...), the crux seems to be the use of landuse=farmland verses
> landuse=meadow.
>

> Can I ask what are you thoughts on (any) difference and best practice
> for the UK please?
>

> My interpretation (right or wrong) has been...
>
> landuse=meadow : grassy areas, not regularly ploughed, used for
> grazing animals such as cows or sheep.
> Evidence on imagery - cows, sheep, lack of tractor compaction tracks,
> medieval ridge/ furrow.
>
> landuse=farmland : cultivated areas ploughed for crops such as wheat
> or barley.
> Evidence on imagery - tractor compaction, ripening wheat, no animals.
>
> This is not a rigorous definition - e.g. a green field of barley
> without tractor tramlines could look like an empty field without
> sheep, but with local knowledge of cultivation, height, etc., my
> intention was to show differences as rich arable lowland areas fade
> into less fertile higher ground.
>

> As the altitude rises into the Northumberland National Park, sheep on
> grass gradually changes to open moorland, which, whilst you're reading
> this, is also worth a sanity check.
>
> landuse = heath : heather, and other low shrubs, formerly burnt but
> now cut, high hills

Heath and heather are not land uses. What next? landuse= hill : cliff :
beach : mud ?

> And no, I wasn't avoiding natural = fell as it doesn't render in
> Mapnik; there was a lot of existing heath sketched in before I
> started, so it seemed best to continue!

Tag the truth .. don't tag for some render, tempting though it is.